Olight's New Protected IMR 16340 Cell

andrewnewman

Enlightened
When I was a kid in the '70s I was always surprised that you could seem to buy just about anything on the streets of NYC. In the same thread, I am always amazed at the myriad of different sizes, chemistries and configurations available for LiIon batteries. But just when I get complacent, I find that FourSevens and Olight have now both produced high drain *protected* 16340 cells. While I suspect these are both based upon the same cell (can't prove it), there is one glaring difference between them. Where Foursevens packages their cell with a traditional insulator and wrapping, Olight designed theirs for their new line of rechargeable flashlights. It has a contact ring on top of the metal can holding the protection circuit that surrounds the positive contact. Despite this the dimensions and chemistry are such that the cell works in most chargers and flashlights.

So...(you probably see where I'm going here) just what happens if/when an unsuspecting person puts this battery in a flashlight (or charger) that shorts the ring to the positive contact? Do we get fireworks? Has anyone disassembled one of these cells to see just how the ring (presumably for charging) is connected to the cell and protection circuitry? Is it possible this "protected" IMR is actually much more dangerous (outside of the Olight flashlights it was designed for) than a plain old unprotected IMR? Am I just being paranoid?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
People have tested other Olight batteries shorting them in this way and there have been no issues so there is likely a diode for polarity protection and the built-in charger compensates for the voltage drop across the diode. So no worries. I believe someone even tested the exact battery you are referring to, but I don't have a link. You might find it in the LED forum with a google search.

Last edited: