OMAGAWD ! - OStar Maglight 2D

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the star be cut down so you don't have to remove so much off the reflector?

What's the output look like. Really like HID, or more like quad/tri lux3 light or Mr-X performance?

More beamshots with other lights please!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I chopped my Ostar down to fit the top of the Hotlips heatsink and found out that had just encrouched and cut a trace on the board that connects one side to the other side of dies. I ended up mangling and ripping off all the gold bond connect wires under the black silicon before I realized what I had done. This was on a six die version. I do not know the configuration of how the 4 die is put together.

Well.... It was still good until I ended removing the silicon and ripped off all the connecting gold bond wires. I could have bridged the cut trace on the MCPCB and restored functionality to the Ostar.

I only had one, mangled it and now I have none. :)

-Wayne

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
lambda said:
No specs or price at this time, as I need to finalize the design and do much more testing before turning any of these loose in the wild. Stay tuned, more to come....

Well this is in the wrong forum then.
:nana:

I know......
Always the party pooper.
:laughing:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i stil can't get over this thing.

I know we don't have a crystal ball (although PK may)

anyone know if the big co's like Surefire are going to be playing wiht these?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heat impact on light output is much less than with a Luxeon V, as deplicted in this drawing:

ostar4.jpg

As you can see where I overlayed the OStar curve on the Luxeon V chart, at 100C the Luxeon has dropped 25% brightness and the OStar is down only about 10%.

I've not found any numbers for life span yet for the OStar, but I'm betting it is going to be better than the 500 hour life stated for the Luxeon V Portable.

If you're interested, the data sheet for the OStar can be found HERE

Tonight I'll try and get some pics of a shoot off between the OStar Mag, my 2D Luxeon V X4T Mag (1.4Amp overdrive) and my 2D 10W HID Solarc Maglite. I'm not sure if the camera will show much difference, but it's worth a try.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Keep it cool

I know cooling would defeat the purposes of high lm/w but... I am really wondering just how much more performance these multi-watt modules can dish out.

I think a good simple test to see if cooling offers any benefits firstly would be in order.

Run the unit without heatsinking first to get a baseline, then:

With a AC unit , setup the LED test rig so that the cold air from the AC blows across a copper CPU-type heatsink with and the LED placed on the 'bottom' with some high performance thermal grease.

Having a accurate light meter would be very useful for such a test.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Melchior - You've raised a common question with high power LEDs; what if it's cooled?

While electronic coolers have been used with CPUs, I don't think it's a good solution for portable lighting. Remeber, even though one side of the cooler gets cold, the other side gets real hot. So there is even more heat to dissipate.

However, something like that hooked up on a wall wart in a desk lamp might be the ultimate application. Else it would have to a BIG portable light to get all the heat away from the LED and cooler. The 2D case is pushing it for anything over 10 watts from my experience, things can get real hot after an hour or so.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, enough bench-racing.

Let's see some comparitive beamshots and lux readings!!! Dyno sheets please! hehhe :) :nana:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Operating the 4-die Ostar at 700mA, with a perfect heat sink held at 25C, the Tj only gets up to 65C. That's only about a 5% drop in output. So you'd have to use some kind of active thermal system, like a phase-change cooler or peltier, in order to cool it down any more. It would be expensive and power hungry to move 10.6W and maintain a Tj of 25C (which would require a board temp of -15C), and you would only gain 5% in brightness.

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
lambda said:
The heat impact on light output is much less than with a Luxeon V, as deplicted in this drawing:

ostar4.jpg

As you can see where I overlayed the OStar curve on the Luxeon V chart, at 100C the Luxeon has dropped 25% brightness and the OStar is down only about 10%.

I've not found any numbers for life span yet for the OStar, but I'm betting it is going to be better than the 500 hour life stated for the Luxeon V Portable.

If you're interested, the data sheet for the OStar can be found HERE

Tonight I'll try and get some pics of a shoot off between the OStar Mag, my 2D Luxeon V X4T Mag (1.4Amp overdrive) and my 2D 10W HID Solarc Maglite. I'm not sure if the camera will show much difference, but it's worth a try.

Lambda,
in this datasheet, I'm seeing forward currents in the likes that we've seen for Luxeon (350, 700, 1000 mA), but how about forward voltages? There's a table in the doc that gives rather high Vfs for reasonably small handheld flashlights, respectively 13, 15, 16.2V (4-die) and 19.5, 22, 24.5V (6-die)... am I reading this correctly? It seems to me it'd be quite a challenge to get those voltages without sacrificing runtime in battery packs, I'm hardly using any D-size mags, kind of like the C-size better, but I guess it'd be hardpressed to go any smaller than that... Can I ask you what you're powering your prototype with in that Mag? a rack of AA-size Li-Ions maybe :) Thanks!