On the TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX LED

houtex

Enlightened
We have three in the family. 2 single mode and 1 of the 3 mode. if you can get it at a reduced price I say go for it. I did have one in a 6D at one time and it was bright. I'm not too crazy about akalines either but if you use it enough you shouldn't have to worry much about sitting,leaking batteries.

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
I know the working voltage of this drop in is stated to be between 6v-12v.

I'm planning on using 3 rechargable 3.7 batts.

Off the charger V should be about 12.6 (4.2 X 3) for all three.

Do you guys think this is too much voltage even for a short period ?

richpalm

Banned
I've been emailing back and forth with Terralux about updates on the dinosaur LED's in this thing. They are supposed to release an XP-G module in October. Driven at 1A each.

Rich

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
Ok,

So i am now running 3 of the Novae 5500Mah 3.7 32650 D sized lithiums in a 3D mag with a short tube extension from J Hernandez with a Terralux 300m-ex.

All seems to beworking fine. At full charge, 12.6v, after 1 min of run time the tailcap draw is 1.20amps on high, .50amps on med, and .06amps on low. Shoud be some decent runtimes.

I know it's a big light, but it stays in the car and comes out to light things up when necessary.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Don't use li-ions if you store the light in your car; the extreme heat and/or cold the interior of your car experiences on a regular basis is sufficient to permanently damage li-ion cells. Lithium primaries only in a car light.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
I've been emailing back and forth with Terralux about updates on the dinosaur LED's in this thing. They are supposed to release an XP-G module in October. Driven at 1A each.

Rich

Have you heard any more on an actuall date for this? Or when it might hit UK retailers? Want to get it for my 4D as it's the only drop-in I can get for a reasonable price, and seem to offer the most power for the money and the light I already have! But don't want to buy one now if
1) They are releasing a much better one at the same price soon
OR
2) The price of the current model is going to drop significantly!

Would get a malkoff dropin, but it would cost >$100 (>£65) to get it to the UK

richpalm

Banned
Have you heard any more on an actuall date for this? Or when it might hit UK retailers? Want to get it for my 4D as it's the only drop-in I can get for a reasonable price, and seem to offer the most power for the money and the light I already have! But don't want to buy one now if
1) They are releasing a much better one at the same price soon
OR
2) The price of the current model is going to drop significantly!

Would get a malkoff dropin, but it would cost >$100 (>£65) to get it to the UK

No-couldn't get a date out of them.

MoDestiny

Newly Enlightened
I just emailed terralux and they are coming out with a replacement called the 310m-ex. Here was the reply:

"Estimate shipping to our retailers is currently late November, so it should be available in about a month. It's a pretty cool module- you can select either multi-mode functionality or single mode functionality via a dip switch on the side of the unit.

If your MagCharger® has the new multi-function switch, put the 310 in single mode, and let the Mag switch take care of all your mode needs. Or, if your Mag has an older standard on/off switch, you can opt for either single mode or a multi-mode (hi/med/lo) function by moving the dip switch on the module. Quite literally the best of both worlds. Output goes to >1,000 lumens as well. I think the light pattern is improved over the 300 module, too. Smoother."

Here is the website:

http://www.terraluxportable.com/product/tle-310-m-ex/

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
I hope they keep the wide voltage spread.

I look forward to getting one to see if it actually puts out that kind of light.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I saw this new drop-in advertised at battery junction. Should be available by the end of the month. I like my TLE-300M-EX very much. I hope the new one is just as good, if not better.

FROZTY_UK

Newly Enlightened
Hello :grin2:

First post! :twothumbs

Sorry if I'm bumping an old thread but I have some extra information to add about the new TLE-310M-EX module from TerraLUX. I'm looking forward to this new product from TerraLUX. I've been in contact with them to find out more.

Here is what I've found out:
  • 21st Nov: "The TLE-310M-EX is in the final stages of production, and should be available in the next couple of weeks"
  • Operating voltage: 4-12VDC
  • (Reworded quote) Unlike the previous version (TLE-300M-EX) which had a bright 'starburst' pattern with little spill area, the 310's beam is a much more traditional 'hot spot' with a nice spill area. ""We think people will prefer it"".
  • User configurable for multi-mode (high/medium/low) or single mode via switch on side of module.
  • 1000/500/<100 Lumens
  • Electronically regulated for constant light output (like all terralux modules)
  • MSRP/RRP: $99.99
I'm debating whether to use:
  • 2D with lithium cells or
  • My 6D with 2aa to D adapters (eneloop aa's) (cheap).
Hope I'll be able to do a review on it when it becomes available.

-FROZTY

I just emailed terralux and they are coming out with a replacement called the 310m-ex. Here was the reply:

"Estimate shipping to our retailers is currently late November, so it should be available in about a month. It's a pretty cool module- you can select either multi-mode functionality or single mode functionality via a dip switch on the side of the unit.

If your MagCharger® has the new multi-function switch, put the 310 in single mode, and let the Mag switch take care of all your mode needs. Or, if your Mag has an older standard on/off switch, you can opt for either single mode or a multi-mode (hi/med/lo) function by moving the dip switch on the module. Quite literally the best of both worlds. Output goes to >1,000 lumens as well. I think the light pattern is improved over the 300 module, too. Smoother."

Here is the website:

http://www.terraluxportable.com/product/tle-310-m-ex/

sparta

Newly Enlightened
Hey new here first post also, just ordered the 300mr-ex for my mag charger, of course i see this 2 days later:(. will the 310 fit the mag charger i assume its a d size head.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Previous generations of this drop-in have been offered in two versions - one to work with 'D' serial, incandescent D cell Maglites, and one to work with the Mag Charger.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey new here first post also, just ordered the 300mr-ex for my mag charger, of course i see this 2 days later:(. will the 310 fit the mag charger i assume its a d size head.
no. the contacts is totaly different on d mag and MC

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
Well I ca't wait any longer......I broke down and ordered one for a standard D Mag.....hopefully I will get it within a few weeks.

tjhabak

Enlightened
I've had the standard D cell version for ahout a week now. I really like it. It is way better than the TLE-300 (which I actually like). It's much brighter , and the beam pattern is not even close. There is very little artifact. It has a nice hot spot and a nice smooth, focused spill. It's not a throw monster by any means, but its no slouch. I really like it. The one for my Magcharger is nice too, but It doesn't work real well with the new electronic switch in either mode. I don't mind though because I'll use it on high all the time anyway. If you have a Magcharger with the old switch this isn't even an issue. These things really bring the big Mags up to date. They are a bit pricey, but for a true drop-in they hold their own against anything out there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with the above comments. This is a great choice if you are looking for a drop in. I have it in a modded 2D maglight with a pair of 32650's and this works out great. Nice size and plenty of lumens. I left it on the three mode so i could tone it down when there is too much light.

Two thumbs up on this one.