On the TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX LED

Sutton

Newly Enlightened
Hello, second post here.
I also just ordered the new 1,000 lumen TLE-310M EX today.
THis will be my first flashlight mod, and it is going in a 2D maglite with a 2x18650 modification.
I can't wait to get it set up and turn it on for the first time.
I will post my thoughts once I get it up and running.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I'll not get in to a proper review - I'm no selfbuilt; not even close - and have only had the module a day, so certainly cannot comment on reliability and longevity(!) However, since my last post, I did find a dealer with the D cell version in the UK, ordered one and received it. I'll just give you my first impressions.

Bar deciding whether to set the TLE-310M EX for one mode or three modes, installation was - not surprisingly - identical to that of my original, single mode, XR-E equipped Terralux TLE-300. During installation, the top of the module is almost flush with the top of the head, so it rather fiddly to really tighten down the module without your fingers slipping and smearing the optics. Other than that it is all pretty simple.

Screw the head all the way down; unscrew the bezel and remove along with the lens; remove the bulb and collar; screw in the Terralux module - it screws straight on to the threaded end of the bulb holder, so the bulb retention collar isn't used; gently screw the head back up until it meets the bottom of the module; drop the supplied o-ring inside the bezel, behind the lens; screw the bezel back on. Done.

When I was happy to carry large lights, I still didn't really want to carry anything larger than a 3D, and these days, I don't carry anything larger than a 2D, other than a Mag623 (and that's not really a torch that I would carry on a day to day basis). As such, I have installed the TLE-310M EX on to 2D Maglite that I can then use with either a mdocod 6AA to 2D battery pack, or with a couple of li-ion cells.

In comparison to the TLE-300, the new module is a bit brighter. Not hugely so, but then the accepted rule of thumb is that you need four times the lumens for double the perceived brightness. If we assume that the three XR-Es gave 600 lumens, the 1000 claimed lumens of the new module isn't even double the lumen count, so we couldn't expect it to be lot, lot brighter.

More importantly, the output is a lot whiter - my TLE-300 is only whitish in the very centre of the beam, with a very large corona that is a very noticeable blue/violet tint. There is no blue tint with the TLE-310M EX.

The hotspot at the very centre of the beam is around the same size on each I guess, but the new module's corona is smaller/tighter than the TLE-300. However, while you have that larger corona with the TLE-300, it has that weird, spiky pattern that they were notorious for. The beam pattern of the TLE-310M EX is pretty much round as far as the hotspot and corona are concerned, other than when used at extremely short distances. The very edges of the spill area do exhibit something of a lobe pattern from the three emitters. Speaking of which, the spill area of the TLE-310M EXs beam pattern is noticeably brighter than that of the TLE-300.

I've not taken the new module apart (I have the TLE-300), but the simple fact of it being encased rather than having open sides, makes it look more substantial and better built. However, the open build of the TLE-300 may have assisted with cooling.

On top of that, you then have the convenience of having multiple power levels, while having the option of a single mode if you prefer.

All told, I much prefer this version over the original TLE-300.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You have noticed some of the difference between the two models, and the best part is that the newer model will be running more efficiently. Also, your eyes will really notice the difference in output, particularly if you compare the two models together. A gain of 60%+ is really significant in the real world, particularly at distance.

Bill

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review Stephen. Since you have had experience with the old Terralux drop-in, I was very interested in your review. How does the throw distance of the new TLE-310M-EX compare to the old TLE-300M-EX?

I still have and use the TLE-300M-EX so I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade it to the newer model. The funky star shaped beam pattern doesn't really bother me so that's not a big selling point. What do you think? Was it worth upgrading your drop-in?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Unfortunately, due to new building developments in my area, I don't have a clear long distance that I can use to measure throw any more, but I'll see if I can find somewhere else to go.

Taking in to account that you already have a triple CREE drop in that is pretty bright in it's own right, it's hard to really justify the change from one to another, particular if the beam pattern doesn't worry you, and considering that your module is a generation newer than mine anyway, so there is somewhat less of a difference between your module and the new one.

From a purely personal perspective, having brighter light, whiter light, a cleaner beam pattern, and three modes - all in comparison to the original TLE-300M (the TLE-300M EX differing in having 700 lumens at start up, and already having the three modes) - is a big step forwards, but then, I'm getting a bigger step up in brightness than you would be, gaining the extra brightness levels, and I prefer the colour and shape of the beam pattern.

I have to say that the TLE-310M EX is all positive from my point of view, but then, I am getting more from it than you would be. Even then, it's hard to really say that it is worth the money when you already have a similar module. On the other hand, if I didn't already have the TLE-300M - and wasn't thinking of the money that I already have invested in that - and had the option of paying half the price for a TLE-300M or 300M EX, or the ~£55 for the TLE-310M EX, I don't reckon that I would think twice about paying extra for the newer version. It's definitely the better module, no question in my mind. Whether it is better enough to warrant replacing your module is something that you really need to decide for yourself.

currentlyoffline

Newly Enlightened
OK, can anyone give me a link to where I can buy the TLE-310MEX online ?
I am in Australia, and Terralux does not have a distributor here.
Looking for a good mod for my 4D maglite. (Had the thing for over 20 years now)
Thanks,

Norm

Retired Administrator
I saw this new drop-in advertised at battery junction. Should be available by the end of the month. I like my TLE-300M-EX very much. I hope the new one is just as good, if not better.

OK, can anyone give me a link to where I can buy the TLE-310MEX online ?
I am in Australia, and Terralux does not have a distributor here.
Looking for a good mod for my 4D maglite. (Had the thing for over 20 years now)
Thanks,

No problem ordering it From Battery Junction shipped to Australia.

Norm

craigcurtin

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

I have just purchased the 310m as a drop in for my 6D maglight. Prior to purchasing i confirmed a D serial number and also the visual inspection on the Terralux site to confirm i had the correct bulb holder.

However if i leave the whole screw on collar on my maglight then the module does not appear to be able to screw in far enough to make contact and hence receive power.

If i remove the collar and screw the module straight in then it works fine.

I have confirmed that i have the collar screwed all the way down prior to installing the module - has anyone heard of this before ?

My maglight would be at least 15 years old and was purchased in Australia.

Craig

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
unscrew lens ring

remove reflector

tighten down head of flashlight as far as it goes

unscrew bulb retainer

remove bulb, set aside with retainer, and reflector

screw in drop in

loosen head until it contacts drop in

replace lens ring

all done

craigcurtin

Newly Enlightened
unscrew lens ring

remove reflector

tighten down head of flashlight as far as it goes

unscrew bulb retainer

remove bulb, set aside with retainer, and reflector

screw in drop in

loosen head until it contacts drop in

replace lens ring

all done

Yep - exactly what i did and when it did not turn on i had an OH SH.. moment thinking i had a dead one that had come all the way to australia

Then i took it back apart, took off the head and screwed the LED assembly in - turned it on and Voila - the only thing i can see is that the positive contact does not appear to protrude far enough down when the head assembly is on - and yes i have made sure it is screwed all the way down.

I am going to test this tonight by making a packing piece to go between the positive on the bulb and in the throat of the bulb holder and see if that works.

I can only assume it is something to do with the age of the torch or maybe there were different ones sold here in Australia

Craig

Craig

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars
Hi Craig. I have a TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX in a 6 D Mag that was purchased in Australia at about the same time as yours was.

When I screw the head of the light all the way down the threaded tube protrudes above the shoulder inside the head. Does yours do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming the Terralux 310 drop in which says 1000 lumens is emitter lumens?
I also assume its rather floody?

any info is appreciated!

JD

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I got a TLE-310M-EX and have to say its a definate upgrade to the older XR-E based TLE-300M-EX. Tint is much better as others have mentioned and the beam profile no longer has the "spikey" spill. I was curious and took mine apart to see if there was any major contruction differeences between the newer XP-G based 310 and the older XR-E based 300. They are both built pretty similar with the obvious difference of emitters and TIR optics used. On both models there is one flaw; not enough thermal paste was applied between the emitter pcb and the bottom heatsink.

Here is a picture of the front and back of the TLE-310M-EX. Note that there is thermal paste applied, but it is not spread out well enough.

I cleaned off the stock thermal paste and applied Ceramique (made by Arctic Silver). Clearly Terralux didn't apply enough thermal paste as my application resulted in a better spread. This should result in better heat transfer from the pcb to the heatsink.

If you do decide to reapply thermal paste please note that there are holes that go through the pcb in the vicinity of the emitters. This may result in thermal paste oozing up through the PCB (see the first pic and look and the sides of the LED). An obvious warning for those of you that do decide to disassemble your led module: it will void your warranty. However if you are experienced enough in DIY modding and are careful it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

sleepywagon627

Newly Enlightened
After reading through this I'm definitely considering the 310 now, but I'm worried that it may be too much of a flood pattern and not throw light out enough. Anyone have any good beam pattern or lighting area photos?

sjbeach

Newly Enlightened
For those like me who still have the mag light we bought 30+ years ago learn from my mistake. This WILL NOT WORK on the original mag lights (no letters in serial). The barrel of the light is longer and there is a stop to prevent the head from screwing down far enough for the unit to screw in (not even if you take the top assembly all the way off). Using D batteries is not enough the light MUST have a "D" serial.

alert_01

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone try to dedome the leds? to get nicer tint and maybe little bit better throw as well? Thanks