One of a kind: Streamlight SL20 custom XM-L drop-in

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Wow! Are you still doing these? I'd love to have one of my SL20Xs modified in this manner! I like my Terralux, but this looks so much....better!

SoCalDep,

Yes - I still do these on request, thanks for asking. Below are the results of a pre-1986 SL20 mod I did for another CPF member. That one was even more challenging, as the older model charges the battery through the lamp filament. I had to use some high power diodes to preserve the charging function and issue some warnings about never installing the battery backward or connecting the leads wrong if the mod were ever removed and reinstalled. Here's some pics:
SL20modassembled.jpg

SL20modnewbeamshot.jpg

The mod is very labor intensive, which is why the cost is not cheap. This is not a sales thread, so I won't discuss prices or payment here, but you can PM me if interested.

Things to note:

• The mod takes a few days. If what you're sending me is your only service light, I'll try my best to get it done over a weekend and back to you ASAP.
  • I make no representations about warranty of the light or the mod, but my reputation is very important to me. I'll make every reasonable attempt to do right by you if the LED or driver fail during ordinary use. While I do make every attempt to make the mod completely reversible, I don't represent that Streamlight would continue to honor the light's warranty after the mod / custom drop-in installation has been performed.
  • The parts I use for the reflector and base and the AR coated 54mm lens and the driver come from various vendors in China. It takes me about a month to source the parts, for which I require a partial deposit which is non-refundable in the event that you opt out for any reason and I am unable to sell the parts to anyone else as loose parts or in another mod.

Regards,
TJ

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light that Techjunkie made an LED for above in post #1 is definitely a SL-20X and not a SL-20.

Here is a picture of the newer (latest model) SL-20X (light on the left side of the picture) and the older SL-20 (light on the right side of the pic).
Notice the difference in the switches. They also use different charging sleeves.

Pic credit: This picture was taken off CPF in the past. Author unknown at this time. The picture is not mine. However, I have both of these lights and can confirm each light model.

U7WZH.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
The light that Techjunkie made an LED for above in post #1 is definitely a SL-20X and not a SL-20.

Here is a picture of the newer (latest model) SL-20X (light on the left side of the picture) and the older SL-20 (light on the right side of the pic).
Notice the difference in the switches. They also use different charging sleeves.

Pic credit: This picture was taken off CPF in the past. Author unknown at this time. The picture is not mine. However, I have both of these lights and can confirm each light model.

U7WZH.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The light in post #1 matches the SL20X on the left, but notice the switch on the light in top pic of post #21. That is an SL-20. I have done both. The SL-20 is more challenging and required me to be more inventive, to preserve the charging function and avoid damage to the driver or battery.

nehpd

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just saw this thread while searching for lighting options. I have just recently been put back on night shift after 10 years on evenings and decided it was time to reinvest in my handheld lighting options. I'm seing that flashlights have come a LONG ways since my initial investment in '01. So, I have an SL-20x...is that something you are still interested in modifying, TECHJUNKY?