One of those "help me choose" threads

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Re: One of those \"help me choose\" threads

Richard, Playboy Joe brings up the X1, which I still don't really get, but if you want both, great deal at countycomm:

countycomm X5T/X1 deal

Nice price for both, then you have flood and spot, in neat little packages.

daloosh

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I say wait for the Luxeon based Inovas or get the TT2L and have a clickie installed. Cycling through OFF-LED-OFF-XENON is a major PITA - with a clickie you set the mode using the side button and then have momentary/constant on with the clickie.

I have an X5T also. It's nice but I question it's output after 20+ hours. Mine seems to dim significantly after one or two hours (and it's the LEDs are every bit as blue as my TT2L!).

Jon

SaratogaWay

Newly Enlightened

if you want a easy depression type switch, try the 1W Lux on the Pelican M6 LED, it blows both those lights away. Forego the inadequacy of a short lived Xenon bulb and go with an LED that basically runs forever.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
I have an X5T also. It's nice but I question it's output after 20+ hours. Mine seems to dim significantly after one or two hours (and it's the LEDs are every bit as blue as my TT2L!).

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I love the CPF... Chuck full of information. There are several lights that are listed with 20+ or even 150+ hours (X5 and SL 7LED 4AA). BUT, checking on the Review Forum, and poof:

X5 run time is 4 hours to 50% brightness

SL 7LED 4AA is around 5 hours 10 minutes to 50% output (originally over driven LEDs with new batteries)

I still like the X5 UV I purchased, and the X5T-HAIII from CountyComm looks great--but I did not delude myself with meaningless runtime numbers from the manufacturers.

To me, it appears that these runtime charts from Roy, and others, are what are separating the too-good-to-be-true numbers of the unregulated LED lights from the more realistically spec'ed regulated LED lights. For example, the UK eLED 4AA light is advertised to last 11+ hours, and the Opalec is 10+ hours... And they really do. They both also will tail off for hours of dim unregulated light too--if you needed it.

-Bill

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. The X-5...cool light, but it does dimm way down before it`s rated run time (cost around $40). The SL...hard to beat the combination but again, Even running on the 3 LEDS seems to dim sooner than I expected...and then kick in the incandesant...just a sad yellow glow (cost around $30).

Guess I would buy the UK eLED for $20 over the X-5. Maybe get the L1 body/light to run with it as well if size matters (2x123 batts).

As for the SL...yea...I guess that would be my pick of the choices.

But you know...I always reach for the UK eLED. Even over the Pelican M6 Led...and I love that light...just doesn`t seem to have a great high brightness run time. In fact...just checking...the UK is brighter than either my PM6 or SL...and it`s been run and run and run. The other two have maybe a couple hours on them. The cheap little UK has spoiled me at this point. Damm thing is still on the original batts!

Ken

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everybody for the help. I ended up with the SL, but the one that takes one battery instead of two. It fits in the watch pocket of my jeans very nicely and is quite easy to carry. I got it at the gunshow here over the weekend from a SL distributor that sets up every year there. His prices are a tiny bit higher than what you might find compared to other dealers, but they have always been very nice and helpful when I have bought from them at past shows.

Certainly not the brightest light around, but plenty for what I need and easy to carry each day.