Opinions and long term impression of Nitecore Tube

ven

Flashaholic
Always worth asking , there can always be a light that slips bellow the radar. The E01 sounds like a perfect kind of light IMO.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
OK, so it sounds like you really love your Tubes correct? :) Can you give me a few more details as to why? Oh and they DO NOT come with a micro USB cord to charge correct??

- The Micro USB cord you can buy for a dollar at a Dollar Store unless you have a Droid cell phone whose cord will perform the same function;
- The small feel (form factor) makes the Tube ideal for every day carry, although I have a minimum of two other more durable/reliable lights on my person at all times, plus 3-4 much higher end lights in my iPad bag that goes with me to work and just about everywhere else, for that matter;
- The Tube is such a fun light to show off and then gift because they are not costly; the children I have given them to (attached to a lanyard) they really love, and it lights up anyone's bedroom with a lot of light; I think a love affair with flashlights can well begin with the simple Tube;
- They joy I feel inside when I gift a light, any light, is really cool, and when I give the Tube to someone they are amazed at its small size, its brightness, and compact form factor.

So in short, a fun light that's inexpensive, brings joy to the recipient, and can inspire someone to become interested in (and research) lights the way each of us do, to me all that far outweighs the two of the many I have gifted that have gone bad, which I quickly replaced. By itself, the Tube is not appropriate as a senior citizen's only light or only EDC.

So would I recommend you give your father ONLY the Tube? No way, but as a fun light, I think he would love it. For example, if you gave him the Tip with the Tube, he can use the Tip when need be for greater illumination and/or to back up his Tube.

One short story: I gifted a Tube on a lanyard to a sophomore in high school who is a Boy Scout and he loved how it lit up his tent when camping out with his Troop and his friends asked where they could get one. (His father ended up 'stealing' it for himself which crushed his little heart so I made his dad pay for the gifted one and gave his son a new one, lol).

Having said all that, and having re-read your original post and your subsequent ones, including those of other posters, if you want to give your dad just ONE light, I'd recommend Eagtac's D25A.

It's quite bright, it takes just one AA battery (a Lithium AA would be ideal), he'd probably have fun with its other functions (which can easily be bypassed during use), and I consider it as durable/strong as the E01.

No disrespect to the workhorse E01, but the D25A's 200-lumens on just one AA battery is incredible and is in just as strong of a body, and just as solidly built. Check out its compact size. Glad to answer your questions.

- LetThereBeLight!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that NC has come a long way with their keychain lights but still. I had 3 of the original Tubes and all 3 croaked fast.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I'd wondered if anyone owned these. I got one as a freebie a few years ago having no idea what it was but it's been on my keychain since and I've had no issues with it. This is the original Tube. I've liked it well enough that I bought a couple more of the V2 version. For $10, if they perform as well as the original, I'll be quite happy.

nbp

Flashaholic
I really like the original Tubes - don't know what the V2 is about. I had mixed success with their durability though. I had two that have lasted years and I think two that died sooner than I would have expected. They're cheap enough if you buy a couple of them and one or two die after a while it's nothing to cry about. I like their UI a lot for a small simple squeezy light.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I really like the original Tubes - don't know what the V2 is about. I had mixed success with their durability though. I had two that have lasted years and I think two that died sooner than I would have expected. They're cheap enough if you buy a couple of them and one or two die after a while it's nothing to cry about. I like their UI a lot for a small simple squeezy light.

Well, it's about shorter recharging time, slightly more lumens, and longer run time.

Latest posts