Oracle 35W HID

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats ok.. because the 150.00 was only a deposit and the final price ended up being much more than 219.00...

I went ahead and ordered one... I couldn't stand it.

Seems like a very nice addition to my HID collection.
If its anywhere near as cool as the L35 I just got, it will be worth it.

Richie086

Enlightened
Hi gang,

Here's the new addition to my modest little HID flashlight collection and the one I've been waiting for. It's the new Oracle 35w 4300k dressed in beautiful aluminum. The battery requires a full charge, so I'll post some beam shots soon. Enjoy.

oracle35aluminum.jpg

Richie086

Enlightened
Hi gang,

I was able to snap several photos for you of the 35w 4300k. I really don't have anything to
compare it to since my 35W POB is far to powerful with it's larger smooth reflector. So I had
to take these photos as stand-alones.

oracle35beam.jpg

The Oracle 35w set to the tightest spot beam. It should also be noted that on
this model, the rear tailcap illuminates in "Green" for high power and "Blue" for low
28w power.

oracle35flood.jpg

Here it's adjusted for flood. I should also point out that on this new model, the spot
and flood adjustment is superior to that of the demo unit I had. Somehow the adjustment
system is far more precise, which is great.

Like the demo unit I tested, runtime on a full charge was 70 minutes and 90 minutes on the low 28w power setting. If completely depleted, the 4000mAh battery can take about 3 or 4 hours to recharge.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to clear up a few statements I made in prior post as I misunderstood a couple of things.
The Bulb is attached to the ballast. Should you ever need to replace either, they come as one unit and the present price would be 69.00.

The battery is separate. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my new Oracle 35W HID!

First of all, the case is impressive. Not bulletproof, but very functional and as sound as most attaché cases you would buy except the back hinges are not the most robust, they should last fine long as no one forces the lid backwards against its resting place where it likes to stay open.

Let me start with my biggest gripe, then we will finish with the good stuff.
I don't like the fact that you indeed do have to have the battery out of the flashlight to charge it. But there is no other LiIon 35W HID I can think of that's in this price range, and most of the budget lights out there are plastic and non-LiIon batteries.

The battery pack does have a 3 LED pilot light with a switch. This is to give you a light while fumbling in the dark trying to charge the battery "since its out of the light rendering it unusable during those periods", or as an emergency light should you run the battery too low for the HID ballast to fire and still need to see your way back home.
0408090745.jpg

The front reflectors comes off. The next section adjusts the beam pattern. You can pick how big of a hotspot you want from tiny and hot to bigger and hot to more diffuse and even bigger, the spill seems relatively unaffected on all settings as its just flat big!
The reflector has an orange peel surface too.
0408090734a.jpg

0408090735.jpg

The spill is big enough to light your feet in front of you as well as everything else with plenty of light before you even worry about the corona and hotspot in the center, you can be rest assured that you will be lighting up the "whole" trail when walking in the woods!

Although this light is bright enough to rival many spotlights, Its honestly more of a glorious flashlight because the spill as well as the corona is so big.
Many people have complained about other spotlights because they were almost unusable for close up work or to light a large area…. No problem here!

The Amber lens cover is solid and very well made….. no complaints and it was nice they threw it in for no extra cost.
0408090900.jpg

0408090901.jpg

0408090904.jpg

The chargers have a small light on them, they will be red when charging and green when charged.. There is both an AC and DC charger.

In High mode " 35Watt" there is a LED green light at the back of the battery pack that shows through while mounted in the light. On Low mode "28Watt" there is a blue light.
0408090738.jpg

0408090738a.jpg

I have not used mine at night just yet in the distance, but I really don't see a dramatic change between the two modes.. Both are plenty bright!
There is no way to have a serious lower setting without danger of the bulb not even working at the lower power. I would expect very long bulb life on the lower setting that honestly is nearly the same as the high when shining on a wall!

Instructions appear to be written by someone not skilled in the English language…
I talked to Justin and I will elaborate on a few questions I had.
1. There is a line that says that overcharging will damage the battery. There is also another line that states "don't exceed 24hrs during recharge. Both accounts are non issues. The cells are indeed protected cells and he admitted to leaving his on for several weeks a few times accidently with no issues.. The instructions may have been for an early make but are not an issue at this time.
2. There is another line that states not to reverse the poles of the battery. This would be very hard to do so since the contact ring on the back of the ballast has cylindrical rings that are dummy proof.. so that's a non issue too.
What you "don't" want to do is short out the poles!

Picture of end cap off and looking deep inside barrel to see back of ballast where battery contact rings rest when inserted.

0408090737.jpg

The 24W version does not have a button on the back to indicate two modes as "high, low, and then off", as it only has on and off, but on the 35W version there is and while in the off position there is no power to the poles anyway, but we are still advised to keep the protective rubber boot over the poles because its "very easy" to bump the button and turn it on.
0408090739.jpg

0408090747.jpg

I will be surprised if anyone complains at what you get for the price! I have seen lights several times the price that didn't appear anymore robust than this one. I've also seen lots of issues with lights costing many hundreds of dollars!
There are no cheap, thin, fragile parts I noted and everything seems built to last. Everything is protected with O rings so should be pretty impervious to rain and the like.

Only time will tell concerning the longevity of the electrical components.
But the way I see it is, it has a one year unconditional warranty and all parts inside are quite cheap to replace in a worse case scenario… so if you want a kick butt lithium Ion rechargeable light , this one is worth considering.
The Bulb is attached to the ballast. Should you ever need to replace either, they come as one unit and the present price would be 69.00.
The battery is separate.

I cannot vouch for the QA specs or whether time will testify of its longevity of this light compared to the others.

Misc Pics:
HID bulb attached to top of ballast inside housing
0408090735a.jpg

0408090736.jpg

0408090736a.jpg

0408090736b.jpg

0408091420.jpg

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Beautiful light Windstrings and thank you for the pictures, what an amazing HID! :goodjob: However your photos exceed the maximum permitted size on CPF of 800x800 pixels, so could you please resize them.:)

Edit: Thanks for resizing. Great pics.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Fantastic review Windy. It's amazing how much light is there for the money spent. Great pics and thoughts. I wonder if your post can be extracted and then reposted as its own thread in the review forum....even if it was removed here. I say this because it would be great to have the HID "food plate" placed under the noses of more cpf'ers since the light is priced so reasonably. Might open some eyes beyond the LED :thumbsup:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Others have left excellent reviews.. I have as of yet to post outside shots.. but thats pretty much already covered.... I may do some comparison shots of my existing lights.

To repost somehwhere else would be an incomplete review, since I'm just added to whats already here... its really incomplete without the shots of the case, outside shots, other opinions etc.

But I will resize them.. I need to simply go to photobucket and change my settings.

I realize many vendors don't welcome newcomers if its not obvious they are not going to contribute to CPF. But hopefully Oracle will see the benefit of CPF and support the basis by which we are able to comment.
Vendors with good stock have motivation to support good advertising, other vendors with shoddy products cannot and will not allow their product to undergo the intense scrutiny of CPF members anyway.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic review Windy. It's amazing how much light is there for the money spent. Great pics and thoughts. I wonder if your post can be extracted and then reposted as its own thread in the review forum....even if it was removed here. I say this because it would be great to have the HID "food plate" placed under the noses of more cpf'ers since the light is priced so reasonably. Might open some eyes beyond the LED :thumbsup:

I'm also very excited about LED's... mostly for the instant on features and cool running. Breakthroughs have already surpassed my expectation of how much light a diode could give out. Similar to a TV screen, I suppose its possible to have endless possibilities by placing them side by side since heat is not an issue, whereas HID is limited in that respect and would go into a meltdown without crazy external cooling going on which requires even more power.

It won't be long, LED's may be the cats meow under any circumstances, but for now, HID is the winner for final max light output for the laypersons budget, and the cost is dropping everyday.

We now play with lights that make police enforcement quality lights of 20 years ago look like a little candle!

Richie086

Enlightened
Let me start with my biggest gripe, then we will finish with the good stuff.
I don't like the fact that you indeed do have to have the battery out of the flashlight to charge it. But there is no other LiIon 35W HID I can think of that's in this price range, and most of the budget lights out there are plastic and non-LiIon batteries.

Hi Wind,

I also wondered about that myself, but the only thing I could think of is without the external battery charging port, it must have been done in order to make it more water-proof. Besides, if you don't have a spare battery, once it's dead, it'll take 3 or 4 hours to charge. I myself haven't ordered a second battery because I haven't needed to use the light long enough to have needed a spare battery pack. Also, like many CPF members, I have enough LED and HID flashlights, I'd just go grab another one while the Oracle is charging. The other reason is that IIRC, Li-Ion batteries have a shelf life, whether used or not, so unless I really felt I needed a spare battery, I won't be purchasing one.

Many people have complained about other spotlights because they were almost unusable for close up work or to light a large area…. No problem here!

This is another good point you make because it makes this HID flashlight a very good all-around flashlight and one of the reason's I wanted one.

I have not used mine at night just yet in the distance, but I really don't see a dramatic change between the two modes..

I didn't see any dramatic change either between both modes. However, runtime certainly does increase switching down to the low power setting.

I talked to Justin and I will elaborate on a few questions I had.
1. There is a line that says that overcharging will damage the battery. There is also another line that states "don't exceed 24hrs during recharge. Both accounts are non issues. The cells are indeed protected cells and he admitted to leaving his on for several weeks a few times accidently with no issues.. The instructions may have been for an early make but are not an issue at this time.

When I charge either of my Oracle's, I always have a muli-meter attached to the battery contacts so I can see exactly what the charger is doing. I noticed on both of these flashlights, the charge tops out between 12.5 -12.6 volts and it stays there. So I don't worry about leaving them on the charger that much. I will admit I don't look to the over-charge protection
circuit to prevent my house from catching fire, so I do keep a watchful eye when charging any of my HID flashlights.

There are no cheap, thin, fragile parts I noted and everything seems built to last. Everything is protected with O rings so should be pretty impervious to rain and the like.

I agree on all counts here too. It's a great package deal and arrived in flawless condition.

I haven't decided if this one-piece-unit is a good idea or not. But the bulb and ballast should be easily to remove by unscrewing the 3 screws under the reflector. I believe the bulb/ballast assembly slides out the rear.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wondered about that myself, but the only thing I could think of is without the external battery charging port, it must have been done in order to make it more water-proof.

Justin said its much more difficult "although they are considering it" to make an adapter that has an external charge port that marriages well when the battery is removed. One solution is of course a non removable battery.
I think the N30 and the L35 light has done an excellent job of accomplishing this feat. Like I said, its my biggest irritation.

The other reason is that IIRC, Li-Ion batteries have a shelf life, whether used or not, so unless I really felt I needed a spare battery, I won't be purchasing one.
I think I read they lose about 10% a year... thats not bad... some lithiums boast a shelf life of 20 years.

I haven't decided if this one-piece-unit is a good idea or not. But the bulb and ballast should be easily to remove by unscrewing the 3 screws under the reflector. I believe the bulb/ballast assembly slides out the rear.

I believe it does but haven't done it myself. But I have two other HID's.. if this was going to be my one and only, I would consider an extra battery... "especially" since it charges outside the unit.. that way, one is on the charger while the other is in use... of course unless your in the boonies with no charger, and even then, it doubles your light runtime!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Oracle 35W yesterday. Overall I'm quite pleased for the price so far.

The color temp is closer to a 5000K by my eyes, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest... it's definitely not the over-blue 6000K that we're accustomed to seeing in cheap HIDs.

I'll have it out to the Seattle get together this Saturday and put it up against some other HIDs, maybe we'll manage some okay beamshots.

Overall if I could have three wishes to improve this light, they would be:
An optional smooth(er) reflector for better throw... to heck with artifacts.
A higher quality AR coated window, I'd say we're loosing 5%+ light with the one thats in there now.
And HA instead of the powder coat.
All minor things really. If we get the right leverage we may even be able to get a run of smooth reflectors. I'll have to search and see if I can find a nicer window that will fit out on the net.

I'll post up further thoughts if anything comes to my attention.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"ve compared mine with my 35W L35, and my 75W Barnburner Xeray.

I think the Oracle maker had "flashlight" in mind over a spotlight. I actually like it a 1/4 turn or so back from full tight focus.. it makes the center hotspot bigger.

Set where the hotspot is the absolute tiniest, I really don't see any farther range because its just too small. I can actually see better and more with it backed off a tad.

I feel like the L35 has about a 5 watt advantage for distance... most likely due to the excellent reflector that is perfectly smooth like you say and also throws more of the periphery light forward.

But anyway you stack it, it lights up the whole place in front of you!
When shining on my garage door from about 50 feet, they both have very similar patterns.. smooth with very little artifact to discuss.

I'm amazed at how light the battery pack is for the oracle... by weight alone, you may think you got jipped, but its the technology of battery that affords that luxury.

I too am quite impressed with the purchase... very competitively priced.

My Xeray is a little warmer and even though it has more throw and lights up a bigger area and you can things better in the distance due to the sheer lumens, the color temp almost tricks the mind into thinking its dimmer!

The color temp of the oracle and the L35 I would say is vitually identical.... when I have all three shining at once, I prefer the color temp of the Oracle and the L35 over the BB as when comparing, the BB looks dull compared to the higher kelvin little friends....
But keep in mind thats indeed an illusion and trick of the mind as we have learned that most intense bright lights such as a welding arc, or lightening has that higher color temp and so we relate it to being the brightest, even though in reality it may not be and we may actually be able to see less.

This same trick happens with LED's..... they can look very intense but reflect little light back to see by as the power and lumens is just not there.

I don't regret my purchase, other than the fact I already had two other lights and didn't really need it, but its cool enough to buy anyway.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure. Haven't looked into it too much yet. Too busy preparing for the get together tomorrow in Seattle. I'll post back here if I find a nicer window that will fit. (I haven't even tried to remove the stock window yet so dunno if an easy swap is even possible.

zx7dave

Enlightened
I received my Oracle 35W yesterday. Overall I'm quite pleased for the price so far.

The color temp is closer to a 5000K by my eyes, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest... it's definitely not the over-blue 6000K that we're accustomed to seeing in cheap HIDs.

I'll have it out to the Seattle get together this Saturday and put it up against some other HIDs, maybe we'll manage some okay beamshots.

Overall if I could have three wishes to improve this light, they would be:
An optional smooth(er) reflector for better throw... to heck with artifacts.
A higher quality AR coated window, I'd say we're loosing 5%+ light with the one thats in there now.
And HA instead of the powder coat.
All minor things really. If we get the right leverage we may even be able to get a run of smooth reflectors. I'll have to search and see if I can find a nicer window that will fit out on the net.

I'll post up further thoughts if anything comes to my attention.

I appreciate you bringing this last night to the Seattle get together...a very impressive light for the cost...I can see one in my future....

MAWilsonPE

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of these Oracle 35W's based on the reviews in this thread. New CPF member :)

Does any one know of a wall mount bracket that will fit this?

Thanks..

Patriot

Flashaholic
I just got one of these Oracle 35W's based on the reviews in this thread. New CPF member :)

Does any one know of a wall mount bracket that will fit this?

Thanks..

:welcome:

Looking at the options I'd have to say no. The seller would be able to ask that question the best though. Just go over to the Marketplace sales thread and ask there. My guess is that you'd have to go with something home made if you want to wall mount it.

PsTo

Newly Enlightened
HI! im thinking abou buy this flashlight ,..pleas how larg is it ? and hov larg is the box ?

And my secnd question is ,..can i replace original bulb with 50 W hid xenon ? or replace with 35W but 12 000 K color teumprigue?

thanks

ps : When you have got phootos from it pleas upload it