Oreilly ETEK HID

The Good Deals thread on this light is turning into a discussion. Let's capture all our new found information in this thread.

Things we know so far:

1. The battery compartment cover uses four screws that secure into soft plastic and strip very easily.

2. The battery is a common sized 12V 7Ah with F1 (.187") terminals. Unlike my POB with super short wires, the Etek battery is super easy to replace.

3. The gas tube is frosted.

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
sample size, 3 lights: n=3

4) significant variation in color temp from unit to unit

5) contact points on charger connectors (male and female) slightly oxidized, a little "wiggle" or de-oxit may be in order

6) batteries are shelf worn, (edit 3/21) initially zero to 20 min runtime, now 2 units achieve 60+ min after 6 discharge cycles

7) light overdrives at startup

8) cheap and bright but has some baggage

cccpull

Enlightened
I hate to mess your number sequence, but this is my take so far:
All mine arrived in their retail boxes inside the plain warehouse import boxes.
All three have the same white color beam (might take shots later).
All charged overnight and when fully charged the red l.e.d. turns off, when you press the charge indicator button, the red, yellow and green l.e.d.s turn on.
They weigh an average of 8.4 lbs. In comparison, PF 20 million cp weighs approx. 10.45 lbs and the Brinkmann Max III weighs 3.9 lbs.
Overall a nice little light at a good deal.

A thanks "bogeymachine" for the heads-up.:wave:

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The color temps on mine were pretty similar. More amazingly is that after leaving them on the supplied charger for 24 hours I got runtimes of 1:15, 1:24, and 1:24. The initial out of the box voltages on the SLA Batts were 10.6V and the other two were around 4V! I was expecting them to last 5-10 minutes, but they just kept on going....:twothumbs

Peter

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overdriving at startup is to be expected of almost any HID, no? Needs that initial spike to keep the arc burning.

jblackwood

Enlightened
The run times of my two were 41 minutes for one and 46 minutes for the other. I've run two tests on the second one now and am about to start a tandem test for them both right now.

I feel kind of like I overpaid for my Stanley now! If the batteries get worn down on these guys, I might get the suggested battery as replacements. Only one necessary, right? One of the screws on the back was already stripped, I have the feeling someone might have opened mine up and replaced a battery somewhere down the road and stripped one hole. I didn't even bother trying the other one. I did have to open the bezel because both thick glass lenses were pretty cloudy. I used windex and a microfiber cloth and the results are outstanding. There were smudges and such on the inside of both lights! :thumbsdow

I know my Stanley HID is much smaller, but mine only gets 15 minutes of runtime. Can anyone pm me about replacement batteries for the Stanely? I searched the thread and the only discussion there seems to be about upgrading to other batteries that won't work with the stock charger and won't let you run it off the car connector. I just wanted a battery that lasted about 30 minutes for that light without having to open it too many more times (that was a beast to get open!).

jblackwood

Enlightened
Just got 51 minutes for the green one (tint) and exactly one hour for the white (tint) one. I'll leave them both on the charger for 24 hours . . . it should be safe even though the red LED goes off, right?

cccpull

Enlightened
Just got 51 minutes for the green one (tint) and exactly one hour for the white (tint) one. I'll leave them both on the charger for 24 hours . . . it should be safe even though the red LED goes off, right?

How do you compare the light output of the Etek vs the Stanley?

jblackwood

Enlightened
I haven't had a chance to compare the two outside, which is really where the only kind of useful comparisons can be made, IMO. I like this kind of handle much more when you're talking about a light as hefty as either the Etek or the Stanley, though. The pistol grip on it is pretty harsh on my wrists, but my wrists are also pretty messed up so YMMV.

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
How do you compare the light output of the Etek vs the Stanley?

Don't have a 'sphere to give you quantifiable figures. Here's qualitative:

ETEK (middle 3 beams) has more spill than Stanley (bottom right) or POB (bottom left). The shape of ETEK reflector plus frosted bulb scatters light. Stanley's beamshape looks brighter regardless of total light output.

BTW - after 6 discharge cycles, I'm getting over an hour runtime (started with 20-ish minutes).
ry%3D400

jblackwood

Enlightened
I'm having similar results extending the Etek's battery, can we do something similar with the Stanley or is that a different type of battery so we can't really "refresh" it as easily?

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
can't hurt to try - you may also want to research "desulfation" and "battery minder"...I'm considering investing in that technology.

I'm having similar results extending the Etek's battery, can we do something similar with the Stanley or is that a different type of battery so we can't really "refresh" it as easily?

cccpull

Enlightened
I haven't had a chance to compare the two outside, which is really where the only kind of useful comparisons can be made, IMO. I like this kind of handle much more when you're talking about a light as hefty as either the Etek or the Stanley, though. The pistol grip on it is pretty harsh on my wrists, but my wrists are also pretty messed up so YMMV.
I like this type of carry handle, too, except when pointing out a car window, or over an object, such as a fence. I'm interested in your opinion once you get outdoor.:candle:

cccpull

Enlightened
Don't have a 'sphere to give you quantifiable figures. Here's qualitative:

ETEK (middle 3 beams) has more spill than Stanley (bottom right) or POB (bottom left). The shape of ETEK reflector plus frosted bulb scatters light. Stanley's beamshape looks brighter regardless of total light output.

BTW - after 6 discharge cycles, I'm getting over an hour runtime (started :Dwith 20-ish minutes).

Thanks for the beam shots, but I was looking for an opinion on which is brighter, floodier, etc.. I don't really need a 'sphere for the type of information I'm looking for. (I'm not that particular :D)

PS I'm glad you were able to get the run-times up. It seems these lights turned out to be a pretty good deal after all. :rock:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Another run time update:
Green one: one hour and 19 minutes.
White: one hour and 24 minutes.

This is after a 16 hour charge. I left it plugged in about 7 hours after the red charging light went off. I'm so freakin' bubbly about this purchase!!! :devil:
Great value, indeed! :thumbsup:

Brian321

Enlightened
I still cant get anymore than 30min runtime out of mine. I guess im going to try and leave it plugged in for awhile after the red light goes out and see if that helps, It seems to be working for you guys.