Output of the Sun: How many Lumens?

Aepoc

Enlightened
Thermalright makes some good sinks for computers... I'll bet somebody can modify one of those for the job. Use one with some liquid cooled heat pipes.

wwglen

Enlightened
You know it IS rechargable...

Have to be careful though because the recharge cycle has been known to go off in a

***Big Bang***

wwglen

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
Right! It doesn't has a off button and if you overdischarge it... Seriously, what was the manufacter thinking?!? :thinking:

But maybe we're just getting it all wrong and its the signal that its falling out of regulation and the batterie has to be changed.
We'll see about that when it's due... :popcorn: anyone still got the instructions that came with it? Ah, never mind... we don't need no stinkin' instructions! :naughty:

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Just got a call from someone who says he's from Roswell, wherever that is, asking if this new Sun v.2 has a strobe setting. If not, he says can we fit one so we can use it on strobe if the aliens show up again, to fool them into thinking it's a pulsar so they'll leave us alone. What do you think, guys, should we have a strobe setting or not?

Nereus

Enlightened
DM51 said:
Just got a call from someone who says he's from Roswell, wherever that is, asking if this new Sun v.2 has a strobe setting. If not, he says can we fit one so we can use it on strobe if the aliens show up again, to fool them into thinking it's a pulsar so they'll leave us alone. What do you think, guys, should we have a strobe setting or not?

Doesn't it already have a strobe mode? The duty cycle seems to be 12 hours on an average. However, the duty cycle of strobe changes depending on where you live. Here in Finland it is at the moment 20 hours off, only 4 hours on. In south pole that's constant on, north pole it is constant off. I can not understand how on earth (pun not intended) manufacturer can deliver so different product to different markets. Especially I am sorry for the fact that they delivered so badly defective sun to Finland. Isn't that discriminating? I think the manufacturer should follow Lumileds practice and start to bin the suns. The forward voltage of sun should also be included to binning.

Furthermore, there is colour variation too. At the very end of each duty cycle the color temperature decreases rapidly. Or is this just very poor pulse width modulation??? If so, I think manufacturer should use current or voltage regulation with the sun v3, not PWM. The PWM is also very crappy. I connected the sun v1 to my oscilloscope and noticed that PWM is very far from square wave. There are very long and visible turn on/turn off transients in every duty cycle. There is also visible peak in the middle of each duty cycle. Doesn't the manufacturer's R&D know how to run PWM circuit mosfet gates??? Does anyone have direct contact to the manufacturer R&D? Does anyone know if the manufacturer reads CPF? There might be good advice here.

Furthermore, the UI needs updating. For example, you can not turn the 12 hour strobe mode off. The dimming feature is also nice but again the UI sucks. I have tried to control the level of dimming but haven't succeeded so far: sometimes it dims in an uncontrolled way in the middle of day when it is supposed to be on! Considering the fact that we finns were delivered already defective and poorly PWMed product we wan't to get full advantage of those short on moments!

And I think we need SOS mode and burst mode too.

-N

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just received a Sun 2.0 for review. Fits nicely in the supercooled jeans pocket. Please observe all warnings on package. Heat is a slight issue, as is UV/cosmic ray output.

Sorry for the photo, the digicam lens melted just after this shot...

sun2.jpg

EV set at -500

Here's a photo at normal exposure:

Slight CCD overload...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam said:
Well, I just received a Sun 2.0 for review. Fits nicely in the supercooled jeans pocket. Please observe all warnings on package. Heat is a slight issue, as is UV/cosmic ray output.

Enjoy!

Just a quick question. Where have you been buying the batteries for yours?

Dollar Bill

Newly Enlightened
6,840,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 lumens. :rock:

Trying to compare this with light sources here on earth. Is this measurement at the surface, or near the surface of the Sun, or is it at the surface of the earth after passing through the atmosphere?

For instance, the Sun does not seem to be trillions, or googles of light when we view it from the earth. I would guess it would be a lot less than 6,840,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 lumens. Relatively dark glasses would allow us to view it without danger of retinal damage.

Since the Sun is basically an ongoing nuclear reaction, I wonder how it would compare with a nuclear device (we used to call them bombs) that seems to put out a LOT more light when detonated here.

BTW I am really enjoying the humor in this thread! Bill

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I disagree about the throw, I think the Sun's throw is pretty good, especially considering that its pretty far away, and by the time the beam finally gets to earth, we can see as if its day light out!

I'm not normally a fan of disposable lights, but this one I think at least will last long enough for me.

I did want to correct some of the UI issues though, its not strobing, its still on, your view is merely being blocked periodically.

The moonlight modes require you to reflect the light off the moon, a serious limitation as you need a line of sight from the sun, to the moon, to your target. Luckily, the beam is at least very floody, so aiming is not that hard.

The beam does have some artifacts, but if you look at the illuminated objects instead of at the sun itself, you will not see them. If you do look for too long at the sun itself, you may not see anything after a while anyway.

:D

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sun is so yesterday's tech. What about the output of the quasar ULAS J1120+0641. Estimated at 6.3×1013 times brighter than the sun.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The sun is so yesterday's tech. What about the output of the quasar ULAS J1120+0641. Estimated at 6.3×1013 times brighter than the sun.

Yeah, but it doesn't come with a clip....and it has less run time.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
6.84 octillion.

And if you want bright cosmic objects, look into pulsars. Our sun is 865,000 miles in diameter and only lights the majority of the solar system, which is ten light hours across. The Crab Nebula pulsar is only ten miles in diameter and lights a dust cloud 23 light years across.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were you talking about emitter lumens? Same as on a cloudy day! :poke:

If an imaginary boundry box tunnel (1 meter X 1 meter X 150 million km) extended all the way from the sun to the earth and shined on a 1 meter x 1 meter white wall, how many lumens would you estimate are shining on that wall?

Mark620

Enlightened
So that's 37,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 lumens. Which means PSM's 6,840,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 was pretty almost the right order of magnitude. Where'd that figure come from PSM?

about 1/6 Th ? very close actually...

Latest posts