Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2014

I'd go with the Gen 2, for a few reasons:

1. They're newer, so will have less years on them.
2. They're marketed as 1500 cycles, instead of 1000 cycles.
3. They're marketed as good down to -20C, rather than -10C (gen 1).

But I have 8.5 year old Gen 1 Eneloops, and they still have almost the same capacity as new Gen 3 Eneloops. So, I think you'll be okay with either.

Someone here tested some old Gen 1 against new Gen 4, and the cycle count was about double for the Gen 4. So, I think the cycle count is more than just a marketing thing. You might not get 1000/1500/1800/2100 cycles out of them, but you will get more out of the later generations. If you don't use them much, that probably doesn't matter, though.

For longevity, I would stay away from the high capacity XXX Eneloops. I doubt they will last as long (years or cycles) as the regular Eneloops. Jamming more capacity in cells usually results in earlier failures.

Last edited by a moderator:

moozooh

Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2014

For longevity, I would stay away from the high capacity XXX Eneloops. I doubt they will last as long (years or cycles) as the regular Eneloops. Jamming more capacity in cells usually results in earlier failures.

Of course they wouldn't last as long in terms of cycles (it's on the box), but otherwise they're eneloops just as well, using the same advanced technology and everything. Unless you have some sort of weird fetish keeping the same batteries for 6-7 years and not refreshing the stock under any circumstances, I wouldn't worry too much about longevity until you wear out the cycles. Sometimes you do need those extra 550 mAh.

Uncle_Tom

Newly Enlightened

I'm a 74yo nubee to all the latest battery technology. I Come from the Leyden jar, Manganese, Lead Acid, Alkaline era. Add wax dipped capacitors & 4 pin 01A vacuum tubes also.

I have been seeing lots of the Eneloop discussion and wonder just what it's all about? Sanyo Eneloops, Panasonic Eneloops, etc. Are they a WONDER NIMH? Why isn't a Eneloop branded Eneloop, instead of all the other different brands? Is Eneloop some kind of chemistry that's different than other NIMH batteries? Isn't there other NIMH batteries that are just as good? I bought some Tenergy 9V pre-charged that claim long shelf life and they seem to do a better job with a stun device than Alkaline. How do Tenergy AA & AAA compare with Eneloop's?

Can you help out this old Phart?

Last edited:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

Of course they wouldn't last as long in terms of cycles (it's on the box), but otherwise they're eneloops just as well, using the same advanced technology and everything. Unless you have some sort of weird fetish keeping the same batteries for 6-7 years and not refreshing the stock under any circumstances, I wouldn't worry too much about longevity until you wear out the cycles. Sometimes you do need those extra 550 mAh.

Actually the Eneloop Pro's probably would last that long as well unless your draining them every other day. The 2000mAh Eneloops do quite well and they are more ideal for everyday usage. The extra 550 mAh is indeed useful but hardly necessary unless you absolutely need that extra capacity in a single amount of time, such as cameras. They can be beneficial in flashlights as well, but considering the price difference you would have to be pretty desperate to get extra capacity into a cell with reduced cycles. With that being said i only need the high capacity cells as extras or emergency batteries. Longevity matters to some people, besides the whole idea to have rechargeables is to use them over and over again.

You would get better longevity out of the 2000mAh Eneloops than the 2550mAh Pros. If people didn't care about longevity there would be no reason to have smart chargers with -dV. We'd simply just use the timer chargers and throw away batteries every year when they go bad. But since we do have smart chargers, maybe perhaps people do want their cells to last. It might seem crazy but 2100 cycles in which the battery will die of old age before the cycles get used up versus 500 cycles in which the battery will wear out quicker than the cell ages. So it's a pretty big difference and it could mean the difference between having a battery last 4 years or having one that lasts 8 years before the cycles are used up. I am one of those folks who prefer to get all i can out of NiMH batteries and i'll use crap batteries in low drain devices that work just fine, just the occasional recharge whenever needed. :)

HKJ

Flashaholic

I have been seeing lots of the Eneloop discussion and wonder just what it's all about? Sanyo Eneloops, Panasonic Eneloops, etc. Are they a WONDER NIMH? Why isn't a Eneloop branded Eneloop, instead of all the other different brands? Is Eneloop some kind of chemistry that's different than other NIMH batteries? Isn't there other NIMH batteries that are just as good? I bought some Tenergy 9V pre-charged that claim long shelf life and they seem to do a better job with a stun device than Alkaline. How do Tenergy AA & AAA compare with Eneloop's?

Can you help out this old Phart?

"Are they a WONDER NIMH?" basically yes, the FDK factory (That manufacturers eneloops) has been on the forefront of NiMH technology for some years and makes the best NiMH battery available. At least if you are looking for low self discharge (Can stay charged for years when not used) and long life in a battery.

Eneloop are not easy to get in all parts of the world and because they are know to be a good brand they are also more expensive than many other brands.
The FDK factory producing the eneloop batteries has more capacity than eneloop requires and are using the remaining capacity to make batteries for other brands, usual using the same process as they do for eneloops. These other brands can be cheaper and can also be available in other parts of the world, this makes it very interesting to find them.

Note: The FDK factory is now owned by Fujitsu and Panasonic has moved part of the eneloop production to China and it looks like the Chinese factory cannot match the FDK quality.

Uncle_Tom

Newly Enlightened

Quote: "Note: The FDK factory is now owned by Fujitsu and Panasonic has moved part of the eneloop production to China and it looks like the Chinese factory cannot match the FDK quality."

Does this mean it would be a good idea to purchase discontinued Sanyo Eneloops to avoid Paney Chinese versions? I'm in USA and saw both offered on Amazon.

Viking

Enlightened

I would say no. Including shipping cost the price difference to brand new 4th. generation japanese eneloops will be marginal.
Production date and generation improvement are also worth taken into account. Especially the first since nimh cells deteriorates over time , even when not in use.

I don't know how old these discontinued sanyo cells would be.
But beware. The only two ads I took time to see on Amazon was respectively generation 1 and 2 cells , even though the image of one of the ads was of a generation 3 blister pack and was also sold as generation 3 :-(

I wouldn't worry too much about getting chinese cells if you are buying from an authorized dealer located in USA like amazon usa.
As far as I know chinese made cells has not yet been dispatched by amazon usa.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would say no. Including shipping cost the price difference to brand new 4th. generation japanese eneloops will be marginal.
Production date and generation improvement are also worth taken into account. Especially the first since nimh cells deteriorates over time , even when not in use.

I don't know how old these discontinued sanyo cells would be.
But beware. The only two ads I took time to see on Amazon was respectively generation 1 and 2 cells , even though the image of one of the ads was of a generation 3 blister pack and was also sold as generation 3 :-(

I wouldn't worry too much about getting chinese cells if you are buying from an authorized dealer located in USA like amazon usa.
As far as I know chinese made cells has not yet been dispatched by amazon usa.

That's good to hear.

_

WDG

Enlightened

...I am one of those folks who prefer to get all i can out of NiMH batteries and i'll use crap batteries in low drain devices that work just fine, just the occasional recharge whenever needed.

Ditto, here. My "good" Eneloops were put in service in December 2008, so, six years old, and going strong. My high-resistance 2007 Eneloops still serve well in low-amperage devices. Hard to bring myself to toss them when they're still useful.

...I have been seeing lots of the Eneloop discussion and wonder just what it's all about?...

I find it easiest to describe them this way: Where normal NiMh cells are charge-to-use, Eneloops are use-then-charge. Because they maintain their charge in storage, you can use them more like you would use primary (alkaline) cells, without really having to worry much about them self-discharging on the shelf or in the device.

But wait, there's more: Eneloops have also been tested by members of this forum to stand up to more abuse than most other NiMh cells. If I recall correctly, they've been tested with loads as high as 10 amps, and held up well.

Plus, no worries about leakage, as is common with alkalines.

So, are they a "wonder cell?" Others may disagree, but I certainly think so.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find it easiest to describe them this way: Where normal NiMh cells are charge-to-use, Eneloops are use-then-charge. Because they maintain their charge in storage, you can use them more like you would use primary (alkaline) cells, without really having to worry much about them self-discharging on the shelf or in the device.

Extremely well said!

Uncle_Tom

Newly Enlightened

I certainly thank you all for your feedback to my earlier inquiry. Now I have to try figuring out what generation Eneloops are being sold, it's not always clearly stated.

Reliability, capacity & LSD is my primary concern. Most AA & AAA batt's will be used in camera strobe lights, wireless remote triggers, wireless microphones & such. Majority of my flashlights use 14500, 18650 & 123a.

Should have done more research before I got suckered into buying low cost Chinese NMHI off eBay. I'm not a cheap-skate, but being on fixed income, saving a buck or two helps. Now, after reading the experiences of so many CPF members, I realize it probably wasn't a bargain after all. From now on, I'll buy Eneloop, until better options materialize.

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened

I certainly thank you all for your feedback to my earlier inquiry. Now I have to try figuring out what generation Eneloops are being sold, it's not always clearly stated.

Reliability, capacity & LSD is my primary concern. Most AA & AAA batt's will be used in camera strobe lights, wireless remote triggers, wireless microphones & such. Majority of my flashlights use 14500, 18650 & 123a.

Should have done more research before I got suckered into buying low cost Chinese NMHI off eBay. I'm not a cheap-skate, but being on fixed income, saving a buck or two helps. Now, after reading the experiences of so many CPF members, I realize it probably wasn't a bargain after all. From now on, I'll buy Eneloop, until better options materialize.

That's not being a cheap-skate, you were just trying to save a buck. Nothing wrong with that. I would suggest, however, never to buy anything on eBay unless you are 100% sure on what you are buying, and the conditions under which you are buying them.

As far as Eneloops, you really can't go wrong. You will find that the prices aren't much different from each generation. In some cases older generations cost a lot more for "designer wraps!" I would just buy the latest version. If you use them regularly the difference in cost will be nearly non-existent. Also, wait for holiday sales, etc. You can find them fairly cheap.

Also, this is a matter of opinion, but I find the Eneloop "Pro" batteries don't really warrant such a premium. If you regularly take care of your Eneloops and keep them charged, you're just wasting your money. With the exception being a heavy use situation that would force you to swap out the batteries too often. Even then, I would weigh the pros/cons vs cost.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, I do keep my batteries for more than 6-7 years, and expect them to still perform well. While I do have plenty of newer Eneloops, I still use Eneloops that are now 8.5 years old, and they still have almost full original capacity when drained at 2 amps. Basically, these 8 year old Eneloops are still as good as new. I've probably put on about 200 cycles on them, so they're not approaching anywhere close to their 1000 cycle rating, but I expect most of my Eneloops will never approach 1000 cycles (or 2100 cycles for the newer ones). Most will probably see far less than 100 cycles, as they are used as replacements for alkalines where I change them about once per year.

I do expect my Eneloops to last well over 10 years before they start showing signs of age (like high internal resistance and reduced capacity). This is why I buy the regular Eneloops, and not the high capacity ones. I simply to not believe that in 10 years the high capacity Eneloops will perform anywhere near as well as the regular Eneloops, if they work at all.

My previous experience with high capacity (non LSD) cells is that they do not last anywhere near as long as lower capacity cells. Until I see proof that this does not apply with LSD cells, I'll continue to buy regular Eneloops.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks.. looking forward to it!

well, some Polish youtuber beat me to it. one can see the backside of the package clearly and the marking on the batteries too:

The video proves that the Panasonic batteries are made in Japan (marking on battery and on retail package) and that they are 4th gen Eneloops (see model number labeling "BK-" and the "2100x" claim). The retail package costs ~19.95€ mas shipping, nice price and more convenient than importing 4th gen Forest Tones from the Japan imho.

When i get to it, i could post a HD photo of the batteries in the DC2-thread along with my sizable collection of battery round holders, cheers ;)

Last edited:

mactavish

Newly Enlightened

WDG above mentions the main reason I dumped all my Alkaline's: "leakage". This reason alone is why I decided to go all Eneloop in my home, and ALL my remote controls. Ever try to find and buy a remote for an older device, like TV, AVR, etc.? If you are lucky enough to find a replacement remote, the cost will usually shock you, and make the cost of switching to Eneloops, and a quality charger, a no brainer.

Uncle_Tom

Newly Enlightened

When I said "Reliability, capacity & LSD is my primary concern", I should have added NO LEAKAGE! to front of list.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened

The replacement remote for my TV is very cheap last I checked but since 2 LSD batteries will keep it running for a year or 2 on one charge without failure I prefer to go that route.