P60 dropin

success44

Newly Enlightened
I have a light that takes a p60 dropin. The host takes 2x123. It's gonna be a tactical light. Can someone rec a solid dropin? There are a lot of options out there and this is still new to me. Thanks

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a budget in mind? Also what type of light are you after, as in flood, throw, long run time, short bursts of huge output??

I'm no expert on p60's, far far from it having only just got into p60's 2 weeks back.

Currently I'm running the Solarforce XM-L U2 3 mode drop in. Not sure on it's real ratings as Solarforce quote 500, 550 and 880 lumens for it :rolleyes:

What I can say is, it's brighter and out throws my XP-G EagleTac D25LC2 and due to the XM-L it has a bigger hot spot and more spill.

For the money I reckon it's not bad at all.

However "International Outdoor Store" are offering a new drop in for $23.00 which looks very good. All are 3 mode and you can choose from 3 different drive currents and 3 different tints. PM me for a link if you can't find them via Google.

If you are after more 'premium' drop in's or multi emitter ones then I'm afraid I don't know.

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
Without any more detail than you've given us, I am going to recommend the blemished M61 drop-ins currently available on the Malkoff Devices website for only $29.00. These are an excellent value. Exceptional quality at an affordable price. I've never heard of anyone who was disappointed after buying a Malkoff drop-in.

success44

Newly Enlightened
It's gonna go in a ledwave z-5 tactical light. Just on/off mode. Flood with some spot if that's possible. It's for a handgun. I read on here that someone dropped in a p60 into this host last year but didn't get very detailed about it. I posted to that thread but no one responded which is unusual for this forum so I thought to put it in here.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend Nailbender. I have several P60 drop ins from him and they work great. Several of mine are in SureFire hosts and one is in a Solar Force L2T host. Your best bet is to use a Lithium Ion battery (LiCoO2 AW17670 or AW18650 if it fits). The CR123A primaries definitely need to be high quality batteries to provide full light output at 2.8A. I've had problems with Battery Station CR123A cells dying after a few minutes. Ironically, the cheaper Titanium Innovations batteries worked fine.

Here's a single level order I placed back in June:
Cree XM-L U2 ($40),
Potting with Cu Tape (+ $5),
One level regulated, 2.8-6V, 2.8A driver,
OP Reflector,
Solar Force L2T, one AW18650 LiCoO2 (3100mAh) or two CR123A.
[FONT=&quot]Total=$45[/FONT]

Nailbender now includes potting for no additional charge so the price is now $40 including free shipping in the CONUS.
For tactical purposes with a handgun I like a really bright light!

zehnmm

Enlightened
+1 for Nail Bender. I have 2 of his drop-ins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

biglights

Enlightened
Malkoff all the way. I love my M60.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think these are picky about the host that you use. I was going to pick one up, but had read that there is issues with SolorForce. Something to look in to before you buy.

+1 on the nailbender and bigpal drop ins also, haven't had a chance to get one of vihnguyen's yet. Heard nothing but good things though.

Smokescreen

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it just takes the addition of a contact spring. It has been said before that most dropins require this with a Solarforce host. Most people say theirs work just fine without it. I can't speak on this as all the Solarforce hosts I've handled worked fine with a Malkoff as is (maybe a little foil or copper tape wrapped around the base of the dropin). I personally use a Surefire 6p host so I'm not exactly the go-to guy for Solarforce info though.

Last edited:

biglights

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it just takes the addition of a contact spring. It has been said before that most dropins require this with a Solarforce host. Most people say theirs work just fine without it. I can't speak on this as all the Solarforce hosts I've handled worked fine with a Malkoff as is (maybe a little foil or copper tape wrapped around the base of the dropin). I personally use a Surefire 6p host so I'm not exactly the go-to guy for Solarforce info though.

Cool, I will have to look into this more. I liked the price point of the blemished one. Thanks.