• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCantor

Enlightened
Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

OK, 2 things:

You can get other switches - the McClickies should handle 5 amps and the fettie which is magic but expensive.

Dave, if people were willing to spring for some of the other, expensive drivers available here - say the taskled, maybe another - would those fit in a P60? Obviously you'd have to charge extra because they require programming and a more difficult, time consuming installation. But if someone bought that, had it shipped to you (maybe pre-programmed) would you be able/willing to work with that? That way the guy could have his 800 cake and eat his 10 Lm, too.

RCantor

Enlightened
[/COLOR]That's way too high for a Low level for me. I need something that won't blind me in the dark. I'm looking for about 10 lumens out the front.

Honestly your best solution is either to start a new thread in 'recommend me a light' and ask for what you want or to get the NB module with a slip-on neutral density filter. Solarforce sells a diffusion wand that cuts light output a lot and that may be perfect for you. You could tape over the top half of the wand to keep the light out of your eyes and you'd probably love the result. I'd guess with the taped top half of the cylinder (the half that faces you - a longitudinal taping) you'd have 10-15 Lm spread out diffusely in front of you. If it was too bright you could always tape some of the other half of the cylinder as well.

SoSideways

Newly Enlightened
Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

Hi

XML's are 600+ lumens if you are looking for higher power

Dave

Is there an equivalent to the XM-Ls in the throw department?

And also, which reflector would be better for a thrower? I know smooth is better for throwers, but what would happen if you throw on an OP reflector on a thrower?

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, 2 things:

You can get other switches - the McClickies should handle 5 amps and the fettie which is magic but expensive.

Dave, if people were willing to spring for some of the other, expensive drivers available here - say the taskled, maybe another - would those fit in a P60? Obviously you'd have to charge extra because they require programming and a more difficult, time consuming installation. But if someone bought that, had it shipped to you (maybe pre-programmed) would you be able/willing to work with that? That way the guy could have his 800 cake and eat his 10 Lm, too.

Hi

TaskLed does not have any drivers that will fit these, I use his in other builds but not in modules.

If the drivers are 17mm and will fit in a pill then I would build a module for the member. While I certainly don't see everything I keep a fair eye on available after market drivers that will fit a module. I am sure there are proprietary drivers in some flashlights that may fit this bill but sourcing them is difficult.

Dave

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Dave. Decisions, decisions. I need more money so I can just have you do everything I want haha.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there an equivalent to the XM-Ls in the throw department?

And also, which reflector would be better for a thrower? I know smooth is better for throwers, but what would happen if you throw on an OP reflector on a thrower?

Hi

There are no 600+ lumen 90 degree emitters that I know of so to most members the XRE is going to be the king of throw. The XRE is fine with a lop reflector it just doesn't throw quite as far. The small beam angle is what makes the XRE the tight thrower.

The smooth XML to me throw fairly well it is just that the spill is so much more than an XRE, the XRE is a 90 degree beam angle while the XML is a 125 degree beam angle.

Dave

SoSideways

Newly Enlightened

Hi

There are no 600+ lumen 90 degree emitters that I know of so to most members the XRE is going to be the king of throw. The XRE is fine with a lop reflector it just doesn't throw quite as far. The small beam angle is what makes the XRE the tight thrower.

The smooth XML to me throw fairly well it is just that the spill is so much more than an XRE, the XRE is a 90 degree beam angle while the XML is a 125 degree beam angle.

Dave

I see.

Well, tonight, I conducted a pretty non-scientific experiment by having my wife stand at one side of the house while I stood at the other end of the house, and I had her basically shine flashlights in my eyes. One of them was the XP-G module that you built me, which should be around 260 lumens, the other is a cheapy Home Depot special CE Tech 100 lumen Cree LED equipped flashlight that uses 3xAAA batteries.

To my surprise, the CE Tech flashlight actually blinded me more! It has a pretty deep smooth reflector and I think an XR-E on there, but direct drive. I think the deep smooth reflector actually created a bigger, more concentrated hotspot in the middle, which contributed to the blinding effect.

I looked at the XR-E data on Cree's website, and if I read it correctly, I think it says that the XR-E can only be driven to 1 amp max? If that's the case, what kind of the lumens will I see at that level on the XR-E?

Also, with the smooth reflector, there will still be a little bit of spill on the beam pattern correct? There will just be a big hotspot in the center compared to like the XP-G with an OP reflector?

Thanks Dave!

leadsled9

Newly Enlightened

Dave, I've got to have three more drop ins.
LED = XML U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
driver = 2.8-6 volt regulated; 3 mode (High, Med, Low) with memory; 2.8 amps max.
reflector = Smooth
Additional $5 for potting and tape
Total $40 + $5 = $45 each
Total for three = 3 X $45 = $135
Will be run in bored Surefire 6P's with 1X18650 or 2XCR123A primaries

PayPal money sent.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see.

Well, tonight, I conducted a pretty non-scientific experiment by having my wife stand at one side of the house while I stood at the other end of the house, and I had her basically shine flashlights in my eyes. One of them was the XP-G module that you built me, which should be around 260 lumens, the other is a cheapy Home Depot special CE Tech 100 lumen Cree LED equipped flashlight that uses 3xAAA batteries.

To my surprise, the CE Tech flashlight actually blinded me more! It has a pretty deep smooth reflector and I think an XR-E on there, but direct drive. I think the deep smooth reflector actually created a bigger, more concentrated hotspot in the middle, which contributed to the blinding effect.

I looked at the XR-E data on Cree's website, and if I read it correctly, I think it says that the XR-E can only be driven to 1 amp max? If that's the case, what kind of the lumens will I see at that level on the XR-E?

Also, with the smooth reflector, there will still be a little bit of spill on the beam pattern correct? There will just be a big hotspot in the center compared to like the XP-G with an OP reflector?

Thanks Dave!

Hi

The XRE has the narrowest beam angle of the Cree emitters, it is know to be the best thrower but it is very tunnel like and no it has little spill. The XRE has a 90 degree beam angle while the XPG and XML have 125 degree beam angle. If you are looking for a tight tunnel like beam then the XRE is what you would like. While Cree specs 1 amp we usually run the XRE at 1.4 amps and achieve about 290 lumens. Any smooth reflector will give you better throw than a lop or op reflector but if you are a wall hunter then some emitters when coupled with a smooth will have rings.

Dave

Duglum

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave,

i'd like to order another P60 Drop-in from you. :)

Nichia 219 4500k 92CRI neutral
3 level high / med / low 2.8-6 volts with memory / 1.7 amp
OP Reflector

$35
+$5 potting option
+$5 international shipping
-------
$45

Paypal incoming. :)

Thanks!

OtisCampbell

Enlightened
My Nichia 219 drop-in landed today... incredible beam quality with no discernible artifact... I'm over joyed! :thumbsup:

Raze

Enlightened
Hi Dave,

Mobile Payment Sent (PayPal Unique Transaction ID # 0HW016069D7587523)

XM-L T60 flux bin '3C', 5000K Daylight White.
2.8A Driver, 3-levels L-M-H with memory.
2.8V-6.0V
Potted with Cu tape.
LOP reflector.

$45 to CONUS

To be used with 2x CR123 primaries or AW protected 18650 in a bored SF C2.

Thanks!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nichia 219 drop-in landed today... incredible beam quality with no discernible artifact... I'm over joyed! :thumbsup:

Hi

That is all that matters is that you are happy. I think they have a very nice tint for a neutral. The small aperture reflector works well with it. They are not terrible in a smooth but the lop really smooths out the beam nicely.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Mobile Payment Sent (PayPal Unique Transaction ID # 0HW016069D7587523)

XM-L T60 flux bin '3C', 5000K Daylight White.
2.8A Driver, 3-levels L-M-H with memory.
2.8V-6.0V
Potted with Cu tape.
LOP reflector.

$45 to CONUS

To be used with 2x CR123 primaries or AW protected 18650 in a bored SF C2.

Thanks!

Thanks should ship today

Dave

rewdee

Newly Enlightened

The XRE has a 90 degree beam angle while the XPG and XML have 125 degree beam angle.

Hi Dave, i recently got one of your 90 cri xpg drop in and planning to get the xre with a 10 degree optics. As you mentioned earlier it looks like the TIR in surefires but i never owned one so:

1. is the beam with the optics something like a beam with only hotspots and no spill?
2. i believe the xre 90 deg beam angle is hotspot+spill. how will the 10 deg optic's beam compared to only the hotspot of xre? Bigger/smaller?

I dunno if i make any sense but I'm just trying to get an idea how the xre with 10 deg optics is comparable to reflectored xre?

I have a solar force p60 xre drop in and the solar force masterpiece pro-1 if that makes it easier to make the comparison?

Thanks.
Rudy.

Lantos

Newly Enlightened

Hi Dave,

PayPal sent for a Nichia 219 4500k 92CRI neutral
3 level high / med / low 2.8-6 volts with memory / 1.4 amp
OP Reflector / potted

Transaction ID: 5V146336NC684710H

Thank You,

Lantos

ToyTank

Enlightened

Wow I just gotta say those are alot of options and very reasonable prices!

What would you say is the best throwing drop in options? I'm not sure if SST-50 or XP-G with smo would outrhrow XR-E with optics?

Sorry if it has been answered I read the first few pages of posts I've read some emitter comparisons I think I'm at information overload:poof:

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
hi dave, was looking at the xp-g modules and noticed this:

Cree XP-G -$35 *mixture of throw and flood*
2.8-3.6 (levels are 100% / 40% / 5% )

2.8-3.6? is that new or a mistake? that means no 18650s?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave:

Just a quick question on what you have to offer as far as the drop ins with the battery vampire Joule Thief boards go. Can you make up one of those boards with the new Nichia 219 LED? I am looking for a low voltage drop in for use with 2-AA's, to drain them as low as is physically possible. Or do you have a low voltage battery vampire drop in setup of your own? Thank you for your time.

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened

Wow I just gotta say those are alot of options and very reasonable prices!

What would you say is the best throwing drop in options? I'm not sure if SST-50 or XP-G with smo would outrhrow XR-E with optics?

Sorry if it has been answered I read the first few pages of posts I've read some emitter comparisons I think I'm at information overload:poof:

dave'll probably say xr-e for throw, sst-50s are huge leds, i've never tried one but i have a few nb xm-l drop-ins and it's more of a flood light with some throw in a p60, i imagine the sst-50s even moreso (flood that is). i would say the xp-gs are half fill and half throw. xr-es are more throw than fill.

RCantor

Enlightened
hi dave, was looking at the xp-g modules and noticed this:

2.8-3.6? is that new or a mistake? that means no 18650s?

I'm not Dave, but the top group of options for the XPG is meant for a single LiIon, so I guess the 3.6 is a 'misteak' and should be 4.2 more likely, 6. Order without fear!

5 level high / med / low / SOS / Strobe with memory / 1.4 amp / 1/7 amp
3 level high / med / low 2.8-6 volts with memory / 1.4 amp / 1.7 amp
1 level 2.8-6 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.