Pak-Lite 9v LED light - what do you think ?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
LynxArc - I think you made some very good points.
To give a little a bit of additional background - I do lots of activity in the outdoors, including involvement with Search and Rescue. I first heard about the Pak-Lite in a week long outdoor survival/navigation course taught by a retired USAF survival instructor in Montana. One of the things stressed was to have an emergency survival kit on your person at all times when outdoors. Life threatening emergencies often start with the words "I was just gonna . . . " go for a short hike, look over that hill, check out the view, etc The advantage of the Pak-Lite is that it would take up very little space in such a small emergency kit and be ready to go when needed. (People don't carry kits that are too large and/or heavy.) In a outdoor situation where a full moon is the brightest source of general light & often there is only star light available, low level flashlights can be quite useful. The 9v light was to be a back-up, something that was part of that always carried emergency kit. The kit also has provisions for shelter, fire making, signaling, and other items needed to stay alive and to get you home. So, economy of space is a requirement.
But, its been 4-5 years since I took that wilderness survival course. I wasn't a flashaholic at the time. So, I wondered if there might be something out now that would better fill the needs for an outdoor emergency kit light, or do it for less money. I'm going to consider the points you mentioned when picking a kit light. Regards, - - -

P.S. - another requirement is easy one hand operation in case the other hand is injured. 'Easy' because when you're shaking from the cold and trying to make a fire, you don't want the task any more difficult, or take any more time than necessary.
I think when the 9v lights came out their long runtime was essentially unapproachable, but these days with power LEDs a lot more efficient and lights designed with low modes even firefly modes getting over 150 hours off a AAA in some cases the "need" for a dim 9v light has greatly diminished to the point it is less about adequate emergency runtime and more about battery used. As for the one hand operation I think there are probably clicky switch firefly mode lights also but they would cost more than a pak lite perhaps.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it nice to have different flashlights that can work with all the common batteries? And if you have 9 volt batteries having been previously used elsewhere? (Free Juice)

At bedside I have a torch with firefly mode that will also put out a significant beam but there is also a glow in the dark PakLite on one of their headstraps by the bed that is used as a nightlight before going to bed (we keep the bedroom light off if we are not in there) and works splendidly as a go-to-the-bathroom light. It is always aglow at night when it is not on. Can let my 4 year old use it whenever he wants (free juice, remember?)

Solid, dependable, must have. (blueish with other colors, tint)

Talked to the Dad (of the person who invented it for a long trek) on the phone when I ordered it; nice guy.

Thanks for the info regarding 9 volt lithiums.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 9V is an important cell though, during the Superstorm Sandy outage, the 9V was the only decent cell that remained widely available in stores.

I think that, combined with the fact you could scavenge them from smoke detectors in an emergency, makes them a good option to have.

That being said, if you stock AA batteries, or have toys, remotes, etc with AA batts, the Malkoff M61 and Sportac P60 drop ins both have extreme run time in direct drive on 2xAA batteries which also makes an excellent emergency light that doesn't have to sit in a drawer or bag until it's needed for long runtime.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that, combined with the fact you could scavenge them from smoke detectors in an emergency, makes them a good option to have.

That being said, if you stock AA batteries, or have toys, remotes, etc with AA batts, the Malkoff M61 and Sportac P60 drop ins both have extreme run time in direct drive on 2xAA batteries which also makes an excellent emergency light that doesn't have to sit in a drawer or bag until it's needed for long runtime.

I have lots of preps at home - RV generator, Eneloops, 12v and solar AA/14500 chargers, etc. so don't really bother using primaries. But away from home (camping/traveling), the scavenging option is critical to me and why my primary EDC is a Quark AAX. It's the most efficient and versatile I've found for my needs, able to consume any chemistry cell < 19mm in diameter (from 9V AAAAs to laptop 18650s) - just need the piece of tinfoil in my wallet. Off grid, I run 3V CRAAs and really like that it can equally power my other 2AA camping/travel/emergency gadgets.

That said, I'll agree Gene is smoking some good drivers too. I have two MDC AAs (with 0.3 and 2.0 lm low lows) and in side-by-side output/runtime tests, the two Malkoff's have proven to be the most efficient (subject to a temp caveat) of my entire sub-/low-lumen light collection... And sub-lumen, it wasn't even close - on a lumen-hr basis, twice as efficient as my best Quark and 5x as efficient as my SC52 (although ZL claims it to be 2.5x more efficient :D)! Guess there's a lot to be said for PWM efficiency.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked out the Safe-Light after reading some of the threads that were kindly provided on this 9v light subject. Looks robust. Bigger in size than the Pak-Lite which may or may not be a disadvantage depending on your needs. Unfortunately, the fellow who makes/offers them is in the hospital now and isn't taking orders. I wanted to try one out.

Is this your light ?

Same brand but that is the model I do not have.

As I said mine are a lot nicer in every way but I also had to go to the website directly to find that they even made better models.

Now I can not find them at all? Maybe the company is gone?
http://www.safe-light.com/

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both a pak-lite and a safe-light. The trouble with the safe-light is that most models feature a glow mode which you cannot stop without removing the battery. This drains the cell constantly, and although it might do this for a year, just say you really need it 10 months into that year, you only have about 17% capacity left in the cell.

Using a pak-lite means only switching on when you need it. I keep one for the purpose of being able to use a 9V cell if I had to for light. It is not something I would want to use regularly.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both a pak-lite and a safe-light. The trouble with the safe-light is that most models feature a glow mode which you cannot stop without removing the battery. This drains the cell constantly, and although it might do this for a year, just say you really need it 10 months into that year, you only have about 17% capacity left in the cell.

Using a pak-lite means only switching on when you need it. I keep one for the purpose of being able to use a 9V cell if I had to for light. It is not something I would want to use regularly.

And the 2 different models that I have each have an off setting,which was a requirement for me when getting them.

I found it strange that although they make/made several greatly improved models beside the cheesy one always seen that they made no attempt to market them that I can tell?

I started off with the model pictured but it seemed like such a hunk of crap I returned it right away,then I discovered a lot of better versions in the same price range even and those are the ones that I ended up with.

But

Thanks Oh Great SubWoofer!:p

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the 2 different models that I have each have an off setting,which was a requirement for me when getting them.

I found it strange that although they make/made several greatly improved models beside the cheesy one always seen that they made no attempt to market them that I can tell?

I started off with the model pictured but it seemed like such a hunk of crap I returned it right away,then I discovered a lot of better versions in the same price range even and those are the ones that I ended up with.

But

Thanks Oh Great SubWoofer!:p

Not sure how to take that.

Anyway, my comment was a generic one to those who may not know the safe-light range and its 'glow mode'. When I got a couple of the safe-light PALights, the ones with off switches were still electronic switches so would have parasitic drain. Out of interest, can you measure the drain on your ones?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how to take that.

Anyway, my comment was a generic one to those who may not know the safe-light range and its 'glow mode'. When I got a couple of the safe-light PALights, the ones with off switches were still electronic switches so would have parasitic drain. Out of interest, can you measure the drain on your ones?

Only meant with good thoughts,we seem to have kindred interests if your name here is any hint?
I like your reviews and the way you go about them and appreciate the effort you put into the whole thing.

I think you are correct and the models that switch off do have an electronic switch but I can not see myself measuring the standby drain either,not to be difficult just being realistic.
I do store mine though with batteries not connected for this reason unless I am using them they are for emergency use only.

Likewise the Pak-Light seem ideal for storing without batteries connected for the same intended use.

Again I am somewhat surprised if the company(SafeLight) is gone,it seemed like a nice niche product to me and I will miss them.

Ed

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only meant with good thoughts,we seem to have kindred interests if your name here is any hint?
I like your reviews and the way you go about them and appreciate the effort you put into the whole thing.

Thanks :twothumbs and you are right. In fact, it all started while at university, when I managed to get some work writing in car audio tests/reviews and installation reports for a car audio publication. The obsession stuck and yes, hence the name. Now I make a living working in IT and test lights in my spare time.

We digress...

I agree about safe-light appearing to be on the edge and though some retailers still appear to sell their products, I got mine direct some time ago.

The Pak-lite appears to have quite a following amongst backpackers, campers and preppers. It is the prepper in me that wanted one - just in case I needed to raid smoke alarms for batteries.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
Well I 'almost reluctantly' ordered a couple Pak-Lites. I say this because, as I mentioned earlier, I had a couple of them and seemed to have lost or misplaced them & was hoping they would show up again. It appears from the Pak-Lite website that they use Ultralife brand lithium primaries in the Ultra model of their light. Curiously, they offer a replacement alkaline battery in the accessories section of their online store, but not the lithium battery. I've started searching on the forums for peoples feedback on the Ultralife 9v lithiums to see if they offer better performance than the Energizer Advanced 9v lithiums. Pak-Lite lists much longer run times for their lithium battery model and I'm wondering about that. The forum threads I read so far, weren't real positive as to providing much greater run times than alkaline 9v batteries, but they were from several years back and I only read a couple of threads so far.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Argh - I wish I'd know about those earlier. I would have picked up at least one.

Ah well - it gives me an idea for a DIY project.

herman30

Newly Enlightened
But the Blocklite beam does not seem to shine 360°. At least not judging by the pictures.
That´s the beauty of the Paklite. Hang it up in the ceiling and it lights up the room 360°.

Other people may have other needs but for me the Paklite is to light up a room in case of a power-out, i e replace ceiling light. So it´s a pure emergency light that may never see any use. But it is nice to have just in case.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have a few Paklites, always take one when staying in a hotel. The low light glow is a beacon to guide me in the right direction for late night bath room pit stops.