Panasonic 18650 ?

frank777

Enlightened
I do not want to cause misunderstandings regarding battery safety. I'm NOT a battery expert, and have retracted all of my previous statements to prevent any possibility of false or incorrect information on my part.

Over the last 17 years in my job as a consultant, I have visited hundreds of Chinese, American, and Japanese manufacturing facilities, and I am unfairly prejudiced by the horrifying disregard for safety I seen with my own eyes in Chinese manufacturing facilities. But I have never been to a Chinese battery manufacturer.

One thing I'm sure of...... when you buy a Chinese product where safety is an issue, you are taking a risk. I was preaching about this stuff 10 years ago, and only now a few things are coming to the surface. The ones we hear about are just a small percentage of what actually goes on. If people really knew how things are done in China, the words "Made in China" would frighten them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/06/world/asia/06cnd-explode.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,22053799-2703,00.html

Last edited:

maxilux

Enlightened
I must ask again, where can i get it, not other discussion, (sorry that i must say)

linterno

Enlightened
I must ask again, where can i get it, not other discussion, (sorry that i must say)
I am almost sure (99.9%) that you will not find protected Panasonic 18650 Li-Ion batteries.

EDITED: Well, I cannot be so sure now. These Panasonic batteries do have protection circuit.

Last edited:

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened
Searching for "NCR18650" I found this 4 cell 5800mAh battery pack for the Asus EeePC 900.
There could be four of the 2900mAh cells in it.
But the price is very high - I'm not going to by one.

linterno

Enlightened
Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
doesn't look to me like they are individually protected. The PDF describing a protection circuit appears to be describing the type of circuit required in final installations for safe operation.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK the cells are not protected against overcharging or overdischarging.

That would severely limit their usefulness to anyone but us;)

I'll see if I can snag some to test. Will be a while and there will only be a couple for testing.

Sverre

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

First time here, but I thought you guys could help me out.

Almost 2 years ago, Panasonic announced an 18650 with 3600mAh capacity. I'm not aware of the on sale anywhere. Does anyone have an update?

Thanks.

D

No production of these AFAIK.

There might be several reasons for this, I'll try to find out with someone who works with Li-ions.

Sverre