Panasonic move / delete Eneloop datasheets

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I was looking for Panasonic Li-Ion cell datasheets (long story, thread here) and got to wondering about datasheets for Eneloops as well.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on Panasonic's website, and all the links I can find via Google appear to be broken. It looks like Panasonic have been rearranging and / or deleting large chunks of their website.

Does anyone know where I can find Eneloop datasheets these days?

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Thank you, Mark!

I'd been searching for HR-3UTGB (the previous generation), since that's what I've got, and I kept getting broken links to the Panasonic website.

Starting from your link:

http://www.kronium.cz/uploads/BK-3MCCE.pdf

...I've also managed to find the AAA datasheet on the same site:

http://www.kronium.cz/uploads/BK-4MCC.pdf

...and the Eneloop Pro versions:

http://www.kronium.cz/uploads/BK-3HCC.pdf
http://www.kronium.cz/uploads/BK-4HCC.pdf

All saved to disk now while I still have the chance - thank goodness for CPF and Czech flashlight dealers :)

It's a good thing that Eneloops have been so consistent over the years, so we can get away with using a later datasheet. Most of the improvements have been on charge cycles and charge retention, which I suspect was more a case of waiting long enough to prove those characteristics in the lab, rather than changing the cell design.

Strangely, the datasheets don't seem to say anything about cycle life or LSD characteristics. You'd think Panasonic would have put that data in for engineers to read as well. Weird.

markr6

Flashaholic
It's a good thing that Eneloops have been so consistent over the years, so we can get away with using a later datasheet.

Speaking of consistency, there was some evidence in another thread about less-than-great performance from Eneloops made in China. But it is a LONG thread and a bit intimidating to read through, so I just sort of act like I didn't see it :) I'm just sticking with Eneloops and hoping they are always the good consistent cells I've been using since 2008!

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Speaking of consistency, there was some evidence in another thread about less-than-great performance from Eneloops made in China.

That's a point. I wonder if that has anything to do with the datasheets going AWOL from the official website?

Fortunately, my suppliers all sell the Japanese-made Eneloops. If anybody ever sends me Chinese-made ones, I'll be sending them right back. If Japanese-made Eneloops ever disappear, I'll be buying the Fujitsu LSD cells, since Fujitsu make the Japanese Eneloops.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Are the white ones still made in Japan?

They can come from Japan or China. Broadly speaking, it seems to depend on the market. I'm in the EU, and we still get the Japanese ones. I think the US do as well, but I can't swear to that. Apparently, the Australians are getting the Chinese version now, along with most of Asia (Japan get the Japanese cells, naturally).

You basically have to ask your supplier or check the small print on the blister pack. If you already have Eneloops in use, the country of manufacture is also printed on the cell itself.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any point in stocking up on Japanese cells while we can get them, do nimh battery have a use by date?

John.

Generally I give the cells from manufactured date and go 7-10 years. I have not had Eneloops more than 2 years so I can't really confirm this other then with the traditional NiMH cells which I have gotten about 7 years before they go high resistance.

keithy

Enlightened
Apparently, the Australians are getting the Chinese version now, along with most of Asia (Japan get the Japanese cells, naturally).
This is correct. In Australia, all the Panasonic Eneloops we get are the Chinese made ones. Even the white colour Eneloops. Some stores have old stock of Sanyo Eneloops which were the Japanese made variety, but they are very rare now, and all the ones I have managed to find are a 2013 production date. Thanks for the links to the datasheets.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Is there any point in stocking up on Japanese cells while we can get them, do nimh battery have a use by date?

John.

I'm not sure. It depends on whether you think all Eneloop production will move to China or not. Bear in mind that Fujitsu own the Japanese Eneloop factory, so their LSD cells are essentially equivalent to Eneloops. As long as LSD cells from that factory continue to be available, regardless of the branding on them, I'll be happy.

As far as the shelf life of an Eneloop goes, I can offer you this post from my own experience:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nce-Eneloops&p=4578743&viewfull=1#post4578743

... where I had eight first-generation Eneloop AAAs work perfectly after sitting on a shelf for eight years.

I believe others on CPF have had similarly good results, so the indications are pretty favourable.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just don't want Chinese batteries. Sorry but, I am entitled to that as a customer.

I agree! It is a shame to see Panasonic degrading its own Eneloop brand.

Customers in Australia and other parts of Asia where Panasonic is selling inferior Eneloops could do themselves and all of us a favor by refusing to buy Chinese-made Eneloops. If that is you, start screaming! Post on all the forums. Send Panasonic a clear message. Start buying Fujitsu batteries.

I wonder how Chinese-made Eneloops compare to low-self-discharge NiMH batteries sold by Tenergy, Energizer, Powerex, and others? None of them use the Fujitsu-patented technology. Perhaps some of them can easily match the Chinese-made Eneloops. Let's find out which one do, and buy them instead of Chinese-made Eneloops.

Are you listening, Panasonic?