Panasonic Plans New Battery Plant in the US

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just saw a youtube about this today and was somewhat interested as I live in Oklahoma and there is a very good chance that the plant could be constructed here as Kansas is farther away. They are I believe going to produce the 4680 cells here for Tesla and the plant is supposed to cost billions and it could be interesting as this would certainly make the cell format more available possibly trickling down into consumer products other than Tesla cars. I'm guessing from the articles I've glanced through the plant could be running in 2024. I am unsure in my state where the plant would be located likely near a larger city but not necessarily the two largest cities....... Tulsa and OKC here. Likely it could be within 50 miles of either large city but pretty much needs to be near a smaller city as the main airports would be needed within range I would think. I am not sure they will produce other cell sizes/types at such a plant by the reports.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Is this another plant? Two or three years ago a friend showed me a picture of a plant they were building at a location selected because it was near a mountain rich in lithium. That would make transportation of raw materials less expensive.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Is this another plant? Two or three years ago a friend showed me a picture of a plant they were building at a location selected because it was near a mountain rich in lithium. That would make transportation of raw materials less expensive.
Yes, the news story said they were considering Oklahoma and Kansas for this plant it hasn't been built yet the states were essentially chosen for the proximity to Texas as one of the major reasons. Oklahoma was also in consideration for the Tesla plant that in the end went to Texas instead possibly due to not having any state income taxes.