• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak LED Ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm

Retired Administrator
What I got instead was the smooth version which is at least a half-inch longer, intolerable for a keychain light.

The light was supposedly shipped "weeks" ago. If you haven't got it, then that must mean they didn't ship it or it was lost. The latter is probably 99% the problem. In which case you should call them and talk about it.
The OP says he has a light, just not quite what he was expecting.

Could be his error, ordered the wrong light.
Peak may have sent the wrong light.

Either way a calm chat with either Robyn or Curt will have it sorted out.
All the other posters here are just trying to reassure the OP that Peak are not shady and will see things are put right.
Norm

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP says he has a light, just not quite what he was expecting.

When I complained of this he said that 'for good customer service he'd forward the knurled body; fine says I. Two weeks later, nothing

Not sure if PEAK meant they were going to send the one he wanted. Don't know why without getting the original back actually.

If they did send it, it probably got lost, in which case PEAK might want to know :)

MWClint

Enlightened
You paid for a light, you got a light, albeit with a different body than you expected.
You contacted peak, they said they'd send you a knurled body for the miscommunication.

They arent out to rip you off..sounds like they were understanding and
accomodating. for a while the knurled SS body hasnt been in stock..if that's
the case they'd have to machine a new batch.. which could easily take >2
weeks depending on what their machines are currently tooled for.

when they get back from SHOT Show, you could just call them and say "Hi whats up?"..
Robyn and Curt are great to talk to. Peak is not going away,
they'll do you right, they are most likely just busy.

peak bodies are interchangeable..so just use the thing..and when the knurled
body comes in..then swap..or just sell the smooth body to someone here and
purchase a knurled body. lots of people could use an extra smooth body..
you wouldnt be selling at a loss. bodies are only 10$.

i know it's personal preference, but it's not that much longer. i use a smooth
ss keychain body on my eiger. works just fine. there are benefits to having
both bodies..the rear unscrews making it quick to detach from your keychain.
which is nice, for example, if you need your car engine running and have to
pear into the engine bay with the light...

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is far from a rip-off....

I see you mentioning Ebay, why? You do know we have a Marketplace right?

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=123

We are sorry that you where not satisfied with your Peak purchase, those are indeed fine lights. Since you will not use the light and that knurled body has taken it time to arrive ( things get lost in the mail, specially on holiday season) I'm sure someone will take this awful awful smooth light of your hands and spare you any more grief...:thumbsup:

Robyn and her son, Mark, were at the SHOT Show, as has been mentioned. Their drive home to Phoenix was delayed due to the heavy rains (a road was out). Robyn is a woman. Robyn is the company president, not "president." The company is small, with just a handful of employees, mostly family. They have phones. I believe all of their phones do work.

As has been mentioned, you just need to call. But I'd suggest taking a chill pill first. They're people there, and they have feelings, too. Robyn has NEVER failed to make things right.

This company makes excellent flashlights. Ultimately you'll get what you want and will regret your public whining.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
If you think that's impatient, you are blinded by partisanship and your opinion is of no value to me.
I'm not overly concerned about my opinion being of no value to you since it seems, from reading here, that my opinion is merely one of many that you don't value. I'd say I'm in good company. Perhaps you seeing no value is because a number of us have rejected your opinions regarding this company and didn't respond with the outrage towards them that you expected?

For the record, I'm not partisan towards this company, I have never had dealings with them, nor do I know the people nor own any of their torches.

My rejection of your assertion that you were "ripped off" was entirely based on the fact that there appeared to be no logic behind the assertion given that you paid money and received a torch to the value of that money.

I felt there was the same lack of logic behind your further assertion that there were "classic symptoms" that lead you to a patently false diagnosis that this particular company had failed and I also failed to grasp the concept behind the idea that you have suffered weeks without a torch when you actually already have a brand new one from Peak in your possession that stated you "dont dare" to take out of the package.

I'm sorry but I do not agree I'm the one that's been blinded by my feelings here.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Before I ordered my 2AAA Eiger Penlight, I decided it would be best to e-mail Peak first. I worked all the details out with Robyn, and got the light a few days later. I did that for two reasons.

1 - You're definitely not the first person to have issues with their website.

2 - Despite being a fantastic light, the 2AAA Penlight version of the Peak Eiger isn't even listed on their website. (I only learned that this version even exists thanks to another CPFer making a topic about it.)

Due to the two reasons above, I wanted to be sure that the light was in stock; and exactly what the price would be for one.

I can understand your frustration. Peak offers quality products. I love my Eiger Penlight. But it seems the company continues to make the same mistakes again and again.

Wait awhile, until the 2010 Shot Show is over, then e-mail Robyn again.

Dr. Smoke

Newly Enlightened
Their website is up. That is a surprise to me.

Thanks to those who calmly replied with an even keel, and poo on those who blamed the victim or blindly defended Peak.

I'll think about calling them, but I am still angry about this so had better belay. I need a light every day, and have been without one for weeks because of their negligence.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Their website is up. That is a surprise to me..
Not to us.

Thanks to those who calmly replied with an even keel, and poo on those who blamed the victim or blindly defended Peak..
please reserve all poo talk for CPF underground- where such strange fetishes may be discussed freely.

I'll think about calling them, but I am still angry about this so had better belay. I need a light every day, and have been without one for weeks because of their negligence.
Negligence you say...well I see your negligence and raise you one case of Shennanigans. Good Day Sir.:green:

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Right back at ya....those pics you took at SHOT made my day:twothumbs
Looks like a good time was had by all.

paulr

Flashaholic

Buy a few more, so you will always have a spare! They are excellent lights.

scout24

Flashaholic
Just got off the phone with Curt- we spoke at length about the Eiger I wanted to order, as well as proper charging for the 10180 cells. I asked about a pocket body and different output levels, as well as tint and angle of beam for the head. He was well spoken as always, answered all of my questions, and was a pleasure to do business with. I look forward to my new light, and was glad to receive the one- on- one customer service they provide. Glad to have them as part of the community here, and I am glad to be a part of it as well. A (toll free) phone call and some conversation go remarkably far... :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just got off the phone with Curt- we spoke at length about the Eiger I wanted to order, as well as proper charging for the 10180 cells.

Must admit, the main thing keeping me from getting an Eiger with the 10180 body is the lack of a charger for that tiny cell. I know Lighthound sells unprotected 10180 cells, but finding an appropriate charger has been a pain.

If it's not too much trouble, could you let us know if Curt mentioned any specific chargers for the 10180.

scout24

Flashaholic
Monocrom- No specific recommendation, just concern that the cells seem to be around 90mah capacity, and to take them off the charger to check voltage during charging. IIRC, the recommendation was not more than 4.1v in the interest of cell life. I am going to speak to Sabrewolf tomorrow about his USB chargers, I know he makes a 300mah rate charger(which I own) as well as a 100mah version. perhaps he can get even lower mah circuits, and tap into the niche market of 10180 users. :grin2: Otherwise, I will continue to overcharge and cut into battery life. At least they are relatively inexpensive, as well as recyclable. Neat little battery platform, and I haven't destroyed one yet. (Two Wee's, one on Mrs. Scout's keychain) Currently using a Nano charger with magnetic spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.