Penlight for a med school student

narmattaru

Enlightened
i also recommend Lumintop IYP 365, high CRI version. nice light.

lumintop opened their store at aliexpress, prices are good, you can check.
https://ru.aliexpress.com/store/2529001

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of joke is it -- to post Russian page links to English speaking forum?

The same page in English: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2529001
In case you didn't notice, the poster IS Russian, they were posting what they use and are familiar with. Also, if you look at the upper right corner, there is an option to go to global site in English.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case you didn't notice, the poster IS Russian, they were posting what they use and are familiar with. Also, if you look at the upper right corner, there is an option to go to global site in English.

If I understand you properly Chinese members should post links to Chinese pages, Germans -- to German ones, and so on. And others should waste their time looking for a button which would lead to existing English page, right?

In Russian this behavior being called "disrespect", no matter why he did that.

HighLight

Enlightened
I know nothing about it, but I remembered this...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...sional-Medical-Penlight-Dr-K3-Hits-the-Market

Found them on Battery Junction for 24.60us.
P

Edit: Then with all the money you've saved, get her a Malkoff MDC to be safe on the way home.
P

I think I may buy her that Nextorch DR K3. . It seems like a simple dedicated flashlight designed for the medical profession. I also like the fact that it takes a single AAA cell so she will always have a back up battery available from the Olight i3S she carrys on her keychain. The Nextorch probably wouldn't have much use outside of the medical community because of its low output but I really like the quality and tint of the beam.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam profile and color rendition seems awesome. Not my choice for a EDC but perfect for medical use.

I also like that the Nextorch only needs 1 battery, and I also carry an Olight as a spare battery carrier :)

fwiw, the 4.2 lumen single mode spec with High CRI, of the Nextorch, can also be closely approximated by using the Lumintop Copper Worm w Nichia and the Lumintop Tool w Nichia, both of which have 3 lumen Lows

the advantage of the Lumintops is they are 3 mode lights, so can be more versatile than a dedicated single mode 4.2 lumen light.

otoh, for simple and easy, certainly a single mode light has its place in a setting where a doctor chooses not to use their otoscope :). For example, to look as someones tonsils...

I think it is important to identify the application in which a light will be used.. for example, a medical student may or may not need a light to look in someones ears or eyes, but might want something other than an otoscope for some applications, that also warrant more than 4.2 lumens.

Last edited:

HighLight

Enlightened
About Batteries.. When you give her the light, give her some Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries, NOT Duracells that leak and corrode inside a light.

It's funny that you mention about Duracells leaking. It was just the other night I dropped the tv remote on the floor and the battery cover popped off. I was shocked to see one of the relatively new Duracells inside leaking badly. Is there an issue with Duracells that I'm not aware of or was that just a general comment about alkaline cells leaking in general?

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frmsomething on the higher end, you could contact Robyn at Peak and get a 2x aaa eager with a nichia 219 and a momentary switch. It would be a forever light.
my daughter is a nurse, and loves her Icon penlight, despite it not being high cri. I think Terralux has a high cri penlight also.

kronos

Newly Enlightened
I carry a protac ems as a nurse and it's pretty good. Low enough for pupil checks and high is good for lighting up a room if you need to. Medium let's you check drainage levels in tubes and such during night shift. The tint is awful but I've never seen a doctor not flip on the lights if something was really important. I've only seen emergent need for a flashlight a few times and during them tint didn't matter. It also runs on AA batteries which I come across in the hospital constantly, and it's fairly cheap. Stuff gets lost or ruined in the hospital all the time. your priorities shift when someone is dying and you'll sacrifice a light or a stethoscope or whatever if that's what it takes. If the light gets submerged in HIV positive blood for example, you are going to want to throw it in biohazard. That's gonna hurt a lot more if it's an HDS. I had a very cheap light fall into a bucket of diarrhea; yea that's trash now.

Also the end protac is blue and not a penlight, so someone won't walk off with it as easily. Doctors walk off with stuff all the time that isn't theirs. my theory is that the mental horsepower required to diagnose leads to absent mindedness of immediate surroundings or something. It never seems malicious but they walk off with stuff that isn't theirs ALL THE TIME.

finally take the money you saved on the light and make sure she has a top tier stethoscope. That'll be infinitely more useful than an expensive light, and they are surprisingly fun to collect to. I love ultrascopes, but the litman cardiology III is the gold standard and the IV might be out by now. Welch allyn is the other big player get a unique color and spring for engraving.

HighLight

Enlightened
@kronos ..good inside advice.

Doctors walk off with stuff all the time that isn't theirs. my theory is that the mental horsepower required to diagnose leads to absent mindedness of immediate surroundings or something.

I'm still laughing at that one.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
I welcome more info, such as how many lumens that light produces.
Well, I should be able to measure the draw on the batteries. It's not particularly bright, but (IIRC) the bulb has a thick tip that acts as a focusing lens. One thing I think she disliked was the weight - being brass, it's a bit clunky.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I may buy her that Nextorch DR K3. . It seems like a simple dedicated flashlight designed for the medical profession. I also like the fact that it takes a single AAA cell so she will always have a back up battery available from the Olight i3S she carrys on her keychain. The Nextorch probably wouldn't have much use outside of the medical community because of its low output but I really like the quality and tint of the beam.

sounds like a great idea! Ive got a couple of these on the way.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those new "discoveries" look so funny. Blue light is dangerous... People walk this planet millions of years and all those millions of years the sky is blue.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add the Nitecore MT06MD to the small list of the Nextorch Dr. K3 for LED lights designed for medical use. It started shipping this week and starts in a low mode of 4 lumens, nearly identical to the Dr. K3.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add the Nitecore MT06MD to the small list
thanks, has potential, I have one main concern:
If the Nitecore has PWM (many of their lights do), then imo the Lumintop IYP365 would be a better choice, especially for a light being shined in patients eyes.

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Fourseven Fellhoelter "bolt action" mini AAA.