Penlight in construction

Trogmar

Newly Enlightened
Howdy

I'm looking to get a really strong and fairly durable penlight. I work in construction so it need to be able to take a bump or 2. Im fairly careful though. I'd prefer it to be overly powerful, different modes would be nice but not necessary. I live in Canada as well so shipping must let it get to me. Offtopic i'm also in the market for a laser pointer for work too. It must also be durable and pen sized.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you a suit or a blue jeans kind of contractor? Little penlights have little-bitty penlight type light. Are you lighting a closet, a room or an open floor? What are you going be lighting with your penlight and laser?

Last edited:

Trogmar

Newly Enlightened
I'm a blue jeans worker. I want a light for checking things in high ceilings and dark corners. The laser i'd prefer non red, and thats just to help point out and explain things on ceilings.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bought a cheap 2AA on ebay that works ok and it pretty bright off lsd nimh batteries.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't help with a laser pointer other than the red type found in a pet store for cat play at five bucks. As to a pocket EDC light, as a retired contractor, I'd recommend a Nitecore MH20GT. Light a closet, light a forty foot cathedral ceiling, the Nitecore MH20GT will get you where you want to go.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite T4 has some pretty good specs for a AA penlight.

Mode & Runtime (Tested with 2*Ni-MH/900mAh):
Firefly(0.3 lumens, 137hours), Low (24 lumens, 12hours), High (252 lumens, 51minutes)

If you wanted to go with an AA light they also have the gentleman looking carry: Thrunite T10 with similar output, longer run-time 1.5hours on high but shorterbody style

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
First choice: I would probably have to go with the Foursevens Preon P2. It has the best output of all my Pen lights (I don't own a Thrunite yet). Plus if you have a problem, they are here and are very helpful.

Second: I like the Nitecore MT06. I gave one to my wife. She has not treated it very nicely and it still works great. Seems like a pretty solid light.

Then, I would get some Eneloop rechargeable cells or some Energizer Lithium.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have an Olight O'pen and it is nice but had issues that keep me from a blanket recommendation. It too easily it turned on and I've cracked the optics and the circuit board came unsoldered on me making it quit working after a drop. I resoldered it and it works again but the high mode is too high at about 250 lumens it drains batteries too fast the medium if fine for a medium but too dim to replace the high mode in use. I had to use some teflon tape on the threads to help keep it locked out so it won't turn on in my pocket on high and burn my leg.