Perfect EDC light

dougntz

Newly Enlightened
What chuckhov said. Even if I could find my "perfect" light (which would not be YOUR perfect light) I would still want to have a variety. Most of us here on CPF are long past the "need" stage...we keep coming back because lights are fun, and this is a great forum, with a very knowledgeable user base.

Yep, I think you're right! Part of the fun is having more toys.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 CR123 with levels of 5, 20, 80 would work very nicely for me, as this is an EDC, right? When I carry with CCW I am going to use a "stand alone" light (single level), and thus would have no need for an EDC with above 80 (or so). Those of you that START their lights that start there (60/80 and above), as a minimum, really? What in heck did y'all do 15 or 20 years ago? I remember when I got my first SureFire 6P's (and 9P) in 1995, going from a Mini-Mag.

Last edited:

DaKar

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!
Thanks for your replies, are full of fresh ideas.

Sorry for the delay in reply, but I went to Harley-Davidson Euro Festival at Saint Tropez (France) and I came home yesterday. As you can see I'm an old biker :twothumbs
A good flashlight is essential for a biker :)

Anyway thanks to all!

NCF8710

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a Jetbeam RRT-01 for the last 3 years. It is relatively slim and accepts an 18350 IMR cell. It has decent runtime if you keep the output in the 100 lumen range. It is continuously variable from a dim 'firefly' glow to a blinding >600 lumen output. I use AW 18350 IMR cells exclusively in this light and it has been absolutely reliable.

Lighteous

Enlightened
I've been carrying a Jetbeam RRT-01 for the last 3 years. It is relatively slim and accepts an 18350 IMR cell. It has decent runtime if you keep the output in the 100 lumen range. It is continuously variable from a dim 'firefly' glow to a blinding >600 lumen output. I use AW 18350 IMR cells exclusively in this light and it has been absolutely reliable.

+1000 The JetBeam RRT01 is my favorite light out of the ridiculous number of lights that I have.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For edc, i need:
Small. Normally AAA. It's the most important factor. If it wont fit my keychain, it normally wont leave the house that often. A aaa can provide plenty of brightness, and runtimes for my needs.

On the keychain i prefer a twisty. Simple, smaller than a clicky, and foolproof. (a clicky on a keychain is not good, the split ring is always in the way)
One bright mode, one dim, is perfect. So i prefer lights like the dqg aaa, maratac aaa cu (rev2), tain p0, mbi hf etc.

At work i use a malkoff mdc li-ion head with a valiant little twisty tube and a old zebralight h50 clip. Simple and copmpact. The rubber clip makes it a headlamp if i clip it to the ear protectors, and i wont loose any teeth biting on it :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

+1 for twistys,, no switch to wear out or get flaky

For me, the D25LC2 Mini (twisty) is as close to my 'grail' light as anything ever made
not much bigger than an AA light with good runtime & actually some throw if you get a xp-g2 version

I have more than one..:thumbsup:

Understanding it doesn't completely fit your criteria, thought I'd chime in anyway

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

+1 for twistys,, no switch to wear out or get flaky

For me, the D25LC2 Mini (twisty) is as close to my 'grail' light as anything ever made
not much bigger than an AA light with good runtime & actually some throw if you get a xp-g2 version

I have more than one..:thumbsup:

Understanding it doesn't completely fit your criteria, thought I'd chime in anyway

I have that eagletac light too and it does put a lot of lux for a tiny head. If I recall its up 10K or so with 18650.

EDC for me has to be a twisty. Like you said no switch to wear out and the lights end up being 15~25% shorter when they don't have a switch.

recDNA

Flashaholic
My perfect EDC is lightweight and has a rotary format with access to a blinky mode for emergencies (sos is fine but strobe OK) by rotating past lowest setting counterclockwise. (like TC-R2) Forward clicky on tail. 1.5 amp max. Accepts 18350. Has deep pocket clip. Uses XM-L2 neutral or XP-L neutral or triple neutral XP-G2 (dreamworld I know) . I prefer a head under 1 inch.

There is no such light sold commercially or even custom to my knowledge. Sinner's customs are gorgeous but to heavy for pocket carry for me.

I would sacrifice 18350 for 16340 in HDS tac rotary but 1 amp max too low and I don't like any clip options. My TC-R2 is sporting a Nichia 219 so I don't want to mod that again.

I have come pretty close with V11Rvn with neutral XM-L2 but it has no emergency blinky mode so I alternate with my TC-R2.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
My perfect EDC is lightweight and has a rotary format with access to a blinky mode for emergencies (sos is fine but strobe OK) by rotating past lowest setting counterclockwise. (like TC-R2) Forward clicky on tail. 1.5 amp max. Accepts 18350. Has deep pocket clip. Uses XM-L2 neutral or XP-L neutral or triple neutral XP-G2 (dreamworld I know) . I prefer a head under 1 inch.

There is no such light sold commercially or even custom to my knowledge. Sinner's customs are gorgeous but to heavy for pocket carry for me.

I would sacrifice 18350 for 16340 in HDS tac rotary but 1 amp max too low and I don't like any clip options. My TC-R2 is sporting a Nichia 219 so I don't want to mod that again.

I have come pretty close with V11Rvn with neutral XM-L2 but it has no emergency blinky mode so I alternate with my TC-R2.

Sounds like a modded Nitecore SRT3 (modded with neutral emitter and possibly an 18mm bore job) would meet your needs. A bit large for a xx340 light, but it would check all your other boxes.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my ideal flashlight:

Battery type and amount : 1 x CR123 / RCR123
Size long, min and max : From 6 to 7 cm (2.4 to 2.8")
Diameter approx : Around 22mm (0.87")
Min and Max lumens : From 0.1 to 200
Number of Output Levels : Continuous form min to max (rotating wheel control)
Functions: SOS, Strobe, etc : Not really needed for my EDC
Switch place, body, tail, etc : Body
Clip place : At the end of the body for deep pocket carry
Other things (explain) : None
Your ideal flashlight already exists. It's called the HDS EDC Rotary.

Other benefits of HDS flashlights that you didn't ask for: built like a tank and virtually indestructible, guaranteed output and flat regulation, guaranteed at least 45-minutes of run time on high, programmable with four user definable presets, lifetime warranty and outstanding customer service.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Your ideal flashlight already exists. It's called the HDS EDC Rotary.

Other benefits of HDS flashlights that you didn't ask for: built like a tank and virtually indestructible, guaranteed output and flat regulation, guaranteed at least 45-minutes of run time on high, programmable with four user definable presets, lifetime warranty and outstanding customer service.
No deep pocket carry without optional $54 clip

recDNA

Flashaholic
Sounds like a modded Nitecore SRT3 (modded with neutral emitter and possibly an 18mm bore job) would meet your needs. A bit large for a xx340 light, but it would check all your other boxes.
I'm not able to mod lights myself so not a great option

DaKar

Newly Enlightened
A small light is a must for EDC. Fat 18mm type lights just don't do me any good as they are too fat for pocket carry. IMR 16340's these days can take 10A of current.
I carry my keys everywhere so it only makes sense to carry a small flashlight there too, why I love the Fenix E15 so much.

bigC

Yeah, if some one could put a rotary power control from 0 to max lumens to a Fenix E15 or a Nitecore Sens CR it would be the best option for me, and I'm sure for others too.

Thank you! :grin2:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Most people would consider a $54 clip extravagant. Maybe not for an engraved beauty like a crusader but the HDS universal is also ugly.

The HDS rotary if very good looking if you are lucky enough to get a good ano match but that universal clip just looks Rube Goldberg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
perfect for my current goals would be, lightweight single aaa, keychainable, oligodynamic, with high CRI N219, and a sublumen mode, and a reversible pocket clip for headlamp use.

So, Maratac Copper, with a pill swap from the L3 Illumination L08 that has an N219 with no PWM and includes a firefly mode.

Im loving the Prometheus Beta QR in Copper, great CRI, great Oligodynamics, but its 13 grams heavier than the Maratac, and both are PWM lights. Im not onboard with the Prometheus clip, expensive, and non reversible.

Is no PWM in Copper too much to ask? I think the Eiger copper option is interesting, not sure about the quantum thing, or whether they offer an N219 option for it.. they dont answer their email...

Last edited:

IsaacL

Enlightened
Cell type and count: 2 x IMR18350; 1 x IMR18650; 2 x CR123; 2 x LFP123
Length: 119.2mm
Diameter: 26.7mm
Min and Max lumens: 0.15 to 3500
Number of Output Levels: 33
Functions: Red, 10Hz strobe, SOS
Switch location: Tail
Clip placement: Tail deep carry clip
Other: Thermal protection, under/over voltage protection, reverse polarity protection, charge reporting, battery stretch, constant current, light bounce auto-off

Your English is actually very good.

UBERSOLDAT

Newly Enlightened
My opinion about Perfect EDC light

Battery type: 1aa

Max lumens : ~150 floody lumens
Number of Output Levels : 2 (Hi & Low)
Functions: none
head twist switch
IPX 8

I have fenix LD15 many years,
and i am completely satisfied.
Simplicity, reliability and ergonomics.

I
wait successor of Fenix LD15

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ideal EDC.

Made in USA.

Mclicky - ON - OFF

Potted electronics. Shockproof 10M / Waterproof 10M

E1DL beam pattern.

Accepts either 1 AAA / 1 AA or 1 CR123.

On 1 AAA it runs @ 10 Lumens. - Regulated with slow dropoff

On 1 AA it runs @ 20 Lumens. - Regulated with slow dropoff

On 1 Cr123 it runs @ 50 Lumens. - Regulated with slow dropoff

4 micro LEDS on the side like on the old Macbook batteries to view battery capacity. 25% 50% 75% 100%