Personal Protection Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The man wants a suggestion about a defense light, not a list of other stuff he could get or what he shouldn't do. He's intelligent enough to come on CPF but he hasn't thought about getting a dog ??? Why do you guys always start with the premisse that people asking for "advice" are otherwise impotent thinkers and brainless...

Cheers.

All we do is an attempt to explain that a light itself is not a weapon. It will not defend him. It will provide visibility and give minor advantage to apply a real defense tool -- a fire gun. A light alone gives only a couple of seconds to be ready to defend yourself. As well it gives an advantage over an attacker as he cannot see what are you doing to defend yourself, but it DOESN'T build up a protective wall. That should be understood in order to not create a false self assurance which may cost life.

Why a gun is a must? -- A person in a wheel chair cannot run away. And a perpetrator definitely will not run away just because of being blinded for a short time. He will just cover a direct beam to his eyes with a hand and will continue to charge.

Last edited:

brightex

Newly Enlightened
You are correct that a gun would be a far more effective weapon than a tactical flashlight, however a good tactical flashlight with a powerful beam and a strobe function can disorient your attacker for a few critical seconds, which can significantly improve your chances of getting out safely from a dangerous situation.

So if you decide to purchase a tactical flashlight for this reason make sure it has a strobe function and Real high lumens output.

Unfortunately in many cases the lumens claims by flashlight manufacturers are far from accurate. We have even tested 5 popular "high lumens" flashlights at Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and the average lumens of the XML T6 type led flashlights (which are the majority of the budget tactical flashlights) was only 335 lumens far from the promised 1000+ lumens. But the good news is that there are budget flashlights that can give you Real tested 600 or even 700lm.

Click here for the Full test results and additional detailed information

You should also be aware that according to CREE web site (see below table) an XML T6 LED with 1000mA current (which is the common current among flashlights) will give you a maximum of 388 lumens . So if you want a truly high lumens flashlight, make sure that any lumens claim is backed up by a reputable independent test lab.

coffeecup66

Enlightened
All we do is an attempt to explain that a light itself is not a weapon. It will not defend him. It will provide visibility and give minor advantage to apply a real defense tool -- a fire gun. A light alone gives only a couple of seconds to be ready to defend yourself. As well it gives an advantage over an attacker as he cannot see what are you doing to defend yourself, but it DOESN'T build up a protective wall. That should be understood in order to not create a false self assurance which may cost life.

Why a gun is a must? -- A person in a wheel chair cannot run away. And a perpetrator definitely will not run away just because of being blinded for a short time. He will just cover a direct beam to his eyes with a hand and will continue to charge.

Hi vadimax,
I'm curious, (so I'll rephrase my comment). What is the logical elaboration you're going through that leads you to conclude that your explanation above is needed ? Once again, do you REALLY think the OP doesn't know what a gun can do, that he needs it be explained to him ?
Repeat question: "Why do you guys ... start with the premiss that people asking for "advice" are otherwise impotent thinkers and brainless... ?"
Don't get me wrong, I know your's and the others' interventions are coming from a very nice place. I just can't seem to understand how one's logic operates to go from "He/she is asking for flashlight models" to "I will tell him/her that he/she is asking the wrong question".
This is the sub-forum "Recommend Me a Light For...", the OP entitled his topic "Personal Protection Light": why think that he needs to be told he should get himself a dog or a gun, etc ?

I think an experiment is needed...

Last edited:

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
..... Why do you guys always start with the premiss that people asking for "advice" are otherwise impotent thinkers and brainless...

Cheers.

First off, it's "premise", not "premiss"....

And second, your remarks are absolutely uncalled for. Do you never ask for advice? Do you assume yourself to be "impotent thinker and brainless" just because you ask for advice?

And third, I think it's quite clear that everyone here is trying to offer honest suggestions to help the OP out and keep him safe, that's all.

Peace

coffeecup66

Enlightened
First off, it's "premise", not "premiss"....

And second, your remarks are absolutely uncalled for. Do you never ask for advice? Do you assume yourself to be "impotent thinker and brainless" just because you ask for advice?

And third, I think it's quite clear that everyone here is trying to offer honest suggestions to help the OP out and keep him safe, that's all.

Peace

First, please excuse my French (which is my first language...).

Second, you may want to check your "stuff" before "correcting" someone on his spelling :
- http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/145322/difference-between-premiss-and-premise

- http://www.thefreedictionary.com/premiss

Third, I think I have asserted I knew where the comments were coming from, but I see you can't be bothered with argumentation, let alone simple reading.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Godolphin

Newly Enlightened
I stumbled across this thread but after reading the tips on the Klarus tactical flashlight.
I think I'm going to buy one for multi purpose uses, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.