Peter Gransee and LED Flashlights (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: More Pics of the new Arc-AAA

Any New Graphs yet ?

Just too curious to see... (i think, i need to have more patience)

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just swapped in 26k leds in all 3 of my Dorcy AAA's and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif
They are about twice as bright as the old ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
So, the newer Nichias for the new AAA's are brighter than these too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Now, that will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Any clue as to when these may start hitting the flashlight market, or too early to tell?

DaveH

Enlightened

Welcome back!

My request is you make the knurling "real" like earlier models rather then just barely visible like later models.

spideyfan

Newly Enlightened

First off, welcome back Mr. Gransee.

My fav flashlight to this day is still the .... Arc AAA-P.
I hope that shows you the appreciation we hold for you and your products sir. With that said, let the paypal-ing begin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-spidey

Nathan S

Newly Enlightened

This is great! I was upset by Arc's demise, and am glad to see that Peter is back in the game. I definitely want a couple of the new AAAs when they come out.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, I built a new runtime test fixture and ran tests all this week. User "CM" had the great suggestion of me testing some older Arc-AAAs to verify the test rig was running right. As a result of the corrected test results, here's the minimum specs I plan on holding these lights to:

Arc-AAA Premium
5 hours to 50% brightness (Fresh Alkaline)
5.5 lumens total output

Arc-AAA Standard
5 hours to 50% brightness (Fresh Alkaline)
3 lumens total output

Most units will run longer and brighter, but none should fall below these specs.

I received the official test results from LSI if you are interested.

"THE_dAY", we would like to make the UV once we are caught up with the AAA/AA white.

Peter

raggie33

*the raggedier*

so u are makeing a aa?i like that size

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Groan". There have been so many posts. If this has been discussed could somebody post or PM me the difference between a standard and a premium? I never really paid attention because I assumed it was a tint issue but there appears to be a substantial difference in output between the two. With the old Arc AAA's, the difference in output between a standard and a premium was very little, not nearly the double amount just posted by Peter.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its just me or others too... who is not able to see the graphs that Gransee has posted.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes Gary, the Premium used to only have a tint difference but now it also has a brightness difference.

ViReN, I'll post the new graph this weekend. I will show a worse case runtime. Typical runtimes will be better than that.

Peter

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats nice to Hear Peter.

I did refresh the page a couple of times to see if the image appears over the description of Standard & Premium Arc's

Please Include Lithium & Alkaline Runtimes & Brightness Levels (in Lux@1M if possible) in same graph for both Standard & Premium Versions.

This would give a better Idea of both the lights and help comparitive studies.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter, is the brightness difference because only the premium is using the new brighter Nichia (same one in Photon Freedom) while the standard uses a different LED or is there that wide a variation in output from the new Nichia leds?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as I know, From previous Arc History, Premiums have the Hand Picked LED's that are brighter than the standard version. I may be wrong... but thats what i know about Premium....

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Viren, I think previous Arcs were hand picked due to tint only, they were they same LEDs brightness wise (I could be wrong, too). At any rate, I've owned several of both kinds and the differences in brightness were very minimal if at all, it's just the premiums had a little less of the "angry blue" look to it.

coby1man

Newly Enlightened

I would also like to know if the brightness difference is a matter of efficiency or an issue of driving the led higher.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

may be graphs that are going to be put up by PG will make things clear to us....

residue

Newly Enlightened

it sounds like the standard uses the old 5mm nichia while the premium uses the newer nichia led. the jump from 3 to 5.5 lumens is consistent with the 2x increase seen in the newer photon freedoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.