Petzl Nao RL

yovoSI

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I bought this headlamp (https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/Headlamps/NAO-RL) and was wondering, if someone can recommend possible mod to power it directly from Powerbank instead of supplied battery pack. Headlamp itself has USB-C male connector.

This would be very convenient (and cost effective) for longer mountain projects, to have a pover bank in the backpack and use a longer cable to the headlamp. I know that the connection itself won't be IP protected any more, but that's fine. 20230526_111702.jpg20230526_111727.jpg20230526_111737.jpg20230526_111754.jpg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some devices can be powered while charging. I looked at the link but could not confirm this Petzl can do that. Have you tried?

The supplied battery pack is described as being able to be used as a powerbank, right? Get a spare one of those?

yovoSI

Newly Enlightened
Some devices can be powered while charging. I looked at the link but could not confirm this Petzl can do that. Have you tried?

The supplied battery pack is described as being able to be used as a powerbank, right? Get a spare one of those?
No, the battery pack can't be charged while in use, since it only has one USB-C (female) connector.
Yes, best thing would be to buy a spare battery pack. But I'm looking for alternatives as they're crazy expensive and also exchanging the battery in the dark is not something one looks forward to.

I was hoping to power the head unit directly from powerbank, but it doesn't work. Possibly I could also build battery pack with 18650 and USB-C connector. Will have to test it though.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
If they were following the same ideas as in nao - the light head can be powered directly from single 18650 cell - you only need to find which connectors are responsible for power supply.
Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 00-23-55 USB 3.1_USB Type-C.png

The theory pinout looks crazy, but i think that there wont be more than 4 wires connected to that plug.
usb_c_plug.jpg

Plus i.e. ntc thermistor that will confirm for the head "I'm genuine Petzl battery pack" not some Chinese power bank :D

At least that is how it was working the old nao:

Attachments

• petzl_nao_battery_pack_hacked.jpg
    petzl_nao_battery_pack_hacked.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

LCuinu

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if you got an answer on this, but yes, I use a single 18650 cell power bank with a short usb cable (think I added an adapter to that as well. No reactive mode but does the job