PF10! Flashaholic Get Together: NJ, NY, PA, CT Area +

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Luxlover posted an announcement as I was composing this... but I'll post as-is anyway. Seems right to do.)

[size=+1]R.I.P. Walt175[/size]

Folks, I've learned some sad news. Our friend and PhotonFest regular Walt175 passed away at 3AM on June 15, 2008.

IMG_3654a.JPG

IMG_3999.jpg

One personal recollection: when Walt attended his first PhotonFest, we coincidentally made our first attempt at a freebie raffle at the event... perhaps the premier prize was a brand new in box Fenix L0P, if memory serves, at that time a newly-released and much anticipated light. Walt was a flashlight newbie... when he won the L0P, you couldn't conceive of a happier recipient: his excitement was impossible to conceal, nor did he even make the attempt; rather he shared it with all in attendance that day. It was that prize which might have set off his passion for modding, and for all things flashaholic. For my part, I heard from Walt a number of times afterward... sometimes looking for a particular part or perhaps some advice, sometimes spilling the beans about his latest creation...

His enthusiasm was infectious. Come to think of it, I don't recall Walt ever NOT being enthusiastic. It was one with his persona, for me it was his signature element, a soft-spoken voice always a half-step away from a chuckle... always ready with some kind words or a smile... that was his spirit, the Walt I'd come to know. I cannot remember Walt ever lacking in these attributes, and it's what I'll always remember about him. How could one NOT help but come away a little happier after spending a few pleasant moments in Walt's company?

We'll keep your seat warm, that one at the corner of the table, your unofficial assigned seat.

You will be missed my friend.

Some references around CPF...

Post #22 from gumbyandpokie999 over here...
Yeah Walt and I used to talk on the Cb all the time ,name here is Triple 9 or Base 1 when I was in the house.I myself also used a 142 GTL and a President Jackson DX in the car,I still have it! Im gonna miss ya walt!
Walter died of a heart attack on 6/15/08 at 3am in the morning ....he was not well...He almost finished the flashlight he was making for me.
Hats off to walt175 everybody-:mecry:

and walt ,youre mt buddy too!

Post #19 from gumbyandpokie999 over here...
To all on this forum that know walt175 , died of a heart attack on 6/15/08 at 3AM ,he was a good friend of mine since high school.I know,sounds crazy but true-I fixed his phone line just the other day and he showed me the flashlight he was making for me.We just started to get back into ham radio and hangin out.Only the good die young!I still cant beleive it!He was 37.

Condolence thread opened in CPF Cafe by empath over here.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is truely horrible news. Walt was definitely one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I will surely miss him at the PF events, as I'm sure all who knew him will. He made me feel right at home, when I attended my first PF-7, I think it was. I could not believe how knowledgable he was about modding, and how he would turn even the cheapest light, into something you could be proud to own. GOD BLESS YOU WALT!!!

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, very sad indeed. Jeff(Luxlover) and I were just going over some pics of PF10 this past weekend and that picture of Walt with all his lights made me smile. I sat with him for a while that day while he showed me his vast collection of toys.

My prayers and with him and his family, he will be missed :sigh:

Ray

PS- maybe a Moderator cold make this into a Walt Thread ?

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is sad to hear. two bad news this week for me. my uncle was admitted to the hospital sat. with an pneumonia. they will probably pull the plug on him today. he's been in a coma since saturday.

luxlover

Banned
I was comparing my recollection of Walt's corner of the dining room table from PF10, to what you see below from PF6. Notice that there is one light on the table and one in his hand, the Fenix L0P he won as a raffle prize. Unless someone can correct me, I believe that is all he had in his arsenal at the time.

In two years, Walt's collection blossomed to the point where the corner of the table at which he sitting was packed solid with his lights. Walt was a fixture at "his station" most of the day, during which he demonstrated his lights to curious people with the enthusiasm of a kid. If I wanted to dismantle any of his lights, all I had to do is ask. Most flashlight collectors would refuse this request.

As has been said countless times, from all of us.....REST IN PEACE, WALT.

Latest posts