***Pictures*** Armytek Barracuda (XM-L U2 thrower, 1160 LED lm)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the fact that you take the time to make sure all your beamshots are aimed at precisely the same spot on that roof which makes it MUCH easier to compare beams, and get an idea of just how big the hot spots and spill beams are. Its amazing the difference in the size of the spill beam between the TK35 and the Barracuda. The Barracuda has a much tighter spill, whereras the TK35 has a very wide spill. Its easy to say that the Barracuda is a brighter light than the TK35, but we must remember that the TK35 U2 is an 860L light compared with an 1160L light in the Barracuda. Also, there's a big difference in tint between the Barracuda and the SR51. The SR51 seems pretty darn yellow, but maybe it just looks that way because the Barracuda is so white.

All in all, the Barracuda has a very tight beam, and therefore looks like it'll be a nice thrower. I really like the case it comes in too.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like there is no knurling on this light. Surely it will be slippery? I do think it looks good though.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like there is no knurling on this light. Surely it will be slippery? I do think it looks good though.

the Armytek lights don't have knurling, but they're very easy to grip. the coating is almost rubbery in a sense but not rubber, you know?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Armytek lights don't have knurling, but they're very easy to grip. the coating is almost rubbery in a sense but not rubber, you know?
I think I know. Kind of a little like the anodyzing on the FourSevens Preon, I believe? Maybe a little more rubbery in feel than the Preon? I still kinda prefer knurling over any of these coatings. Reasons? Coating will wear and fade but knurling won't.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I know. Kind of a little like the anodyzing on the FourSevens Preon, I believe? Maybe a little more rubbery in feel than the Preon? I still kinda prefer knurling over any of these coatings. Reasons? Coating will wear and fade but knurling won't.

Not necessarily the Preon style, but you're going in the right direction of how it is. It's a lot more grippy than the Preons. I've never had sweaty hands... while holding my Armyteks (lol)... but I'd say its a type finish on the Armyteks that you could still hold with wet or sweaty hands and still be able to maintain operation of the light. The Preons, on the other hand, are a lot smoother feeling to me and if your hands were moist or sweaty or something you wouldn't be able to work them too well imo

it may be they use a slightly rougher finish on the metal and anodize over that is probably how it goes but I'm not sure. it's definitely grippy but without the need for knurling. they look so good to so far as visual appeal, too

pomp92

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much Gopajti for your pics ;)
Please can you measure the spot diameter at 5 meters? from the bezel? Unfortunatelly I think my Barracuda hasn't a perfect focused beam :(

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello pomp,

2d26ts.gif

pomp92

Newly Enlightened
R: ***Pictures*** Armytek Barracuda (XM-L U2 thrower, 1160 LED lm)

Thanks! ;) About the same size as mine. But my beam has a less defined central spot and a bit of donut effect between the central spot and the outer ring. :( I'll write to ArmyTek this weekend...

wfturnerm4

Newly Enlightened
Re: R: ***Pictures*** Armytek Barracuda (XM-L U2 thrower, 1160 LED lm)

very nice review, thanks

Stilt

Newly Enlightened
Wondering how the barracuda compares to the thrunite catapult v2 with the cree XM-L.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
the photos in this thread are amazing. I'm trying to decide on the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L2 or this Barracuda with XM-L2

Latest posts