Pizza Delivery

ctbrew

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a compact thrower, very small to fit in my jacket or jeans pocket, very tight yet powerful spot to illuminate house numbers without lighting up the whole front of the house (sometimes it's the wrong house and people get concerned/pissed off.) So typical use will be a distance of no more than 35 yards, but it must be strong enough to "punch thru" the house light glare. It has to be a one hand clicky because my other hand is holding the pizza. A lower level option so I can use it to illuminate credit card slips for people to sign would be nice too, but the interface has to be simple. Nothing I need to mod, price ceiling of oh say $100. cr123 and 18650 batteries are feasible. thanks!
icon7.gif

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The reference to call Vihn is great, he is the master, and, best of all, he's not greedy about it....super reasonable prices.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Junction has Olight M21-X lights on sale for $39. Good throw for the money. Then for a close up light something along the lines of a light around 40-50 lumens.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Armytek Predator & Viking are 1/2 price a lot of places and they are pretty much exactly what you are talking about especially for thise prices!

The nice thing is that yo can set the modes to be any output you want,if you can comprehend the programming?

Just great lights too,I think I will get a backup to mine while they are so cheap.

ctbrew

Newly Enlightened
The Eagletac looks promising, I will have to do the research on it. The others look too big for what I want, I already have a Fenix TK-11 (I think that's the classification) as a bigger light. Thanks for the suggestions so far folks.

lunas

Enlightened
rather than a wide head your looking for a long head a single 18650 size light would be likely the biggest you would want and tail click or side button would be fine a pen light would work

olight s30r baton... and it is rechargeable... adjustable from 1000 to 1 lumen you will likely use the 1 lumen for the reciepts and the 600 or 100 lumen mode for the house numbers the light remembers the last mode you were on too...

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a pencil beam thrower, I'd suggest a small emitter (XPG or XPE) in a deep/wide/smooth reflector, and to keep it jeans pocketable (~4" or less), suggest a CR123/16340 and/or CRAA/14500 light.

A (The?) top throwing light in 3V class (2AA/CR123) of what Selfbuilt has reviewed is a Quark Turbo QB2A @188 meters throw and the light can be Lego'd for both 1.25" x 3.5" (CR123/16340) AND 4.2" (CRAA/14500) within your budget, and it'll full support ~1.5v AAs too (which is probably all you'll need at the distances specified). It's a programable 2 mode light, loose/tight bezel UI.

The Thrunite Archer 1C (XPG) and Nitecore EC1 (or the AA versions with 14500s) are cheaper options, although they do not have the battery versatility, U.S. warranty or customer support of the 47s Quark.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sipik 68 will do the job. Ajust it for throw, and there will be no spill to annoy anyone. And its so cheap you can buy plenty of them.

Poppy

Flashaholic
As our friend reppans suggested, a small emitter in a "deeper" reflector might work well for you, for throw, and while I'd love to have a legoed quark as he suggests, I don't :( However, in my car, I keep a inexpensive Rayovac 2AA indestructible, loaded with rechargeable duracell AA batteries. There are a number or reasons why I recommend it.

1. It is inexpensive, $14 so If I leave the windows open, and the car unlocked, and if it gets stolen, I'll just get another.
2. It has a thrower beam profile. Actually too tight for close up work, but reaches 100 feet easily.
3. 5-7 hour runtime on high,
4. I have a two cell AA/AAA USB charger that plugs into my car's USB port
5. I keep a RED traffic cone diffuser in a vinyl bag that is clipped to my ashtray, and I holster the light tail first into the diffuser, so that both are immediately available if needed.

For your purposes, I also recommend TWO lights. The RI 2AA for checking out house numbers, (use it and leave it in the car) and a 2AAA or Single AAA penlight for climbing steps, and signing receipts.

tubed

Enlightened
Ha! Poppy.
been waiting all day to get a chance to throw in my suggestion for the Indestructable.
I keep one in my car. Thin beam, very bright - $15 . I don't use it often so I load it with primary lithium AAs. Has low setting. Perfect light for this purpose.

ctbrew

Newly Enlightened
I will check out the Indestructible. The Quark Turbo QB2A seems to be discontinued.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
i just realized http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E0QAFY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

with the zoom pulled out it will have a focused square that will be about 5 feet across perfect for reading the numbers push it in wide beam and ok for reciepts.

I have one of these, bought for around £2! Fitted with a li-ion 14500 it easily lights up a spot 100m away. Aspheric lens so projects the shape of the die when zoomed in and a flat even circle when zoomed out. Not too bright to be used for close up work when zoomed out.

There is a 3 mode version, but you have to cycle through the strobe, which is pretty annoying!