PKFL2LE review (650lm, 2xCR123A, 1x17650)

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ You pocket carry it?
⊙▁⊙

That's some mighty tough pockets you got there.

It was the pinacle of LED flashlight to this user. Still is. I use this one as the benchmark to reference my other LED lights.

Frankly I'm glad you brought it back up Teak. It gave me the urge to use/enjoy mine more.

This one was a unique one (in a good way) in the age of "shiney stuff" and a little time with a search engine can still be found NIP for about $90.

Edit:
The archimedes graph seemingly applies based on time instead of post count there, uh teak.

Ha... I carry it in my back left pocket, the armytek pocket clip allows it to set low and off to the side so I don't really sit on it. While my a2 or eb1, lx2 etc rides in my left front pocket. I use 16650s in it and it's great. Long runtimes and guilt free lumens. I want to talk about the 20 sec reset back to high. Mine is number 148/1000. Mine does not take 20 seconds to reset back to high. It takes 7 seconds. It still isn't the best for "flash and dash" but with a quick release and press you get back to high. So not totally bad. I will say. If it was a 3 mode light, or low was 5 or 10 lumens. I wouldn't like it as much. It's a great light that offers tough as nails usable light that feels great in the hand. Anyone that was or is on the fence about getting one of these, don't be.. get one while you can and use the crap out if it. Afterall...that's what it was made for.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My 'user' is #842. Occasionaly I put one of those mega-thin Elzetta lanyard rings and a generic wrist lanyard. The ring is coated, so it thwarts scratching the light and the generic lanyard is useful when travelling uneven/slippery terrain.
But I do that with most of my baby cop lights.

I just use momentary to cycle it. Knowing it's a hi/lo clicky it was never intended for a flash-n-dash light. I use a TL2 LED or Strion LED for that if need be.

Frankly I was surprised a PK light had a 2 level UI, but am glad it does. I use it on low 90% of the time. It's only when I have to blind absolutely everything in a 25' yard radius 100'+ away that it goes to high.

I'll look into that Armytek clip.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love mine! It shares it's place in the EDC rotation, but I have more confidence in it that most of my lights combined. There is a current thread asking what light you would use if your life depended on it-although a "clicky" would very rarely be on that list for me, for this light, no problem, I am that confident in it. When I flew cross country to New York last year my PKFL2LE was in my pocket....'nuff said, thanks PK! Oh yeah, mine is #428...
I think the fact that none of us use this light as a "shelf queen" is strong evidence of the quality of lights PK designs & builds...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
#842 is a shelf king but doesn't stay there long enough to collect dust.
Yet when it's off duty it looks pretty cool near some other classic toys.

Nearly all my favorire users are displayed in one form or another in their off duty moments.

The ones that aren't is because they are single action that stay at arms length (or less) wherever I am 99.99% of the time.

Last edited:

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope this pic isn't too big. I wasn't able to resize. Anyway, here is the armytek wizard clip. It's very secure and fits very tight. Almost like it was made for it. Lol

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Beautiful!!

I tried a ProTac HL clip, and it works but like that dual action one on yours better.

Thank you.. it just kinda worked out. The armytek wizard comes with the clip and I only use the wizard as a headlamp anyway. So the clip was just sitting there. I didn't expect it to work as good as it does. Maybe possible to just purchase the clip from armytek?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thank you.. it just kinda worked out. The armytek wizard comes with the clip and I only use the wizard as a headlamp anyway. So the clip was just sitting there. I didn't expect it to work as good as it does. Maybe possible to just purchase the clip from armytek?

I saw 'replacement' clips but not being familiar with their model numbers didn't dig in very deep.

The word 'wizard' helps clear that up.
Thanks for the tip.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received the light. Mint condition and it's number 559. And I got two Surefire CR123s, already placed in the light ready to use.

My impression:
The first I thought when I held it was that this light hardly will accidently slip out of my hand. I like the feeling of good grip on a flashlight. The finish is excellent and it's no doubt that this is a top-notch quality equipment. The threads of tailcap are well lubricated.

The hotspot is beefy and with a nice white tint. The spill has a bit purple tint, which I think is caused by the anti reflective coating. There is a small corona as well which seems white like the hotspot.
The aggressive knurling and the relatively narrow body size makes the light comfortable to use as well with the whole hand and with cigar style, it will not glide away in the hand when pushing the switch. But I think there is a certain risk to damage a pocket in the long run so I think it's a good idea to carry the light in a case.
Regarding the reset time: I measured it to 15-16s. Even if I don't like such a long time it's really not a big issue with a 2-mode light.

Summary:
PKFL2LE is a powerful light in pretty compact format and I am pleased to be one of the owner of a model offered in only 1000 pieces. And the inscription IN GOD WE TRUST is pretty cool, I like it!
Earlier I didn't have a big interest in this light but I am glad I got it and made the decision to order one. I am looking forward to see what more models Paul Kim will come out with. Maybe an similar design 18650 model and with neutral white tint as an option? :popcorn:

Addition: I just compared PKFL2LE to my Surefire P2X Fury(500lm XM-L version). The beam profiles are pretty similar, Surefire just has smoother beam due to the textured reflector. Both (initial)brightness levels and tints are very similar, as well hotspot and spill. But it's good to know that PKFL2LE is superior when it comes to regulation: higher brightness over longer time. And PKFL2LE excels especially with use of 3,7V Li-ion: while P2X Fury soon looses brightness compared to 2xCR123, PKFL2LE is even better regulated with 3,7 Li-ion than with 2xCR123.
I swapped CR123s and 16650 cell between the lights and compared ceiling bounce lux: with 2xCR123 both lights has almost the same brightness. With 16650 P2X Fury dropped ~20% compared to 2xCR123. PKFL2LE was slightly brighter with 16650 than 2xCR123.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This afternoon I performed a runtime test with Keeppower 16650 2500mAh. And it was a bit disappointment. My result was far worse than the performance measured by Flashlightguide. The battery was charged a few weeks ago and showed 4,19V, practically full.
I held the light firmly in my hand(with the hand around the head) during the entire test and noticed the lux value each 5min.

Direct from start the lux value was 45(corresponds to 700+lm). After that it had dropped a bit at 5min, increased again at 10, 15 and until 20min. At 20min the brightness was 90% of initial. After 20min the brightness declined slowly but continuously and at 45min it was 80% of initial. Then 69% at 60min, 57% at 65min and 50% at 68min. At that moment I interrupted the test and placed the cell in the charger, it was then 3,35V.
The brightness never increased again before and around one hour mark like in the review by Flashlightguide and was worse regulated than with 2xCR123 in that review. HERE is the link to the review with the runtime graph.

Any comment about this? How can it be that my Keeppower 2500mAh gives so much worse result than the 2000mAh model in the mentioned review? The charger used and refered to in my case is Keeppower L2.

I wrote a runtime graph based on my measured values(missed to note the 25 min mark, though).

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmFtnMaUj][/URL]

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Swedpat,
I am at a loss for an explanation off the cuff. I am in the midst of moving or I would try to duplicate your test(to my ability), as I have the same light and battery. Most of the time I have used it have been on the original two primary CR123's. I bought the Keepower to try it out in my PKFL2LE.
Was this a brand new cell? I have read that until at least 3-4 cycles have been done the battery does not retain it full power.I apologize I can't quote chapter & verse where I read that, but perhaps one of our resident battery experts could chime in. It is going to be the better part of a month before I will be able to devote any time to this, so perhaps someone else can offer up a theory. I'm subscribed & will follow with interest.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Swedpat,
I am at a loss for an explanation off the cuff. I am in the midst of moving or I would try to duplicate your test(to my ability), as I have the same light and battery. Most of the time I have used it have been on the original two primary CR123's. I bought the Keepower to try it out in my PKFL2LE.
Was this a brand new cell? I have read that until at least 3-4 cycles have been done the battery does not retain it full power.I apologize I can't quote chapter & verse where I read that, but perhaps one of our resident battery experts could chime in. It is going to be the better part of a month before I will be able to devote any time to this, so perhaps someone else can offer up a theory. I'm subscribed & will follow with interest.

Thanks for comment. Yes, it's a brand new battery, maybe I used it one round or so.
I edited my post and added a runtime graph, which makes it easier to compare to the runtime graph by Flashlightguide.

What I want to say: my result isn't really bad I think, the brightness is still ~500lm at 1hour, and the average for 1hour should be at least 550lm or so.
But the difference is very significant compared to Flashlightguides runtime graph so therefore I find it strange even if the capacity of the cell might increase after a few cycles. Well; I can do the test again at a later moment to see if there will be a significant difference after a few cycles. Apart from that I don't know how much difference will be testing with the battery straight out of the charger. But I find it valuable to test when it's not, because in the most cases the battery has been ready in the light or battery case for a while.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it, that PK has a gradual step down built into this one. Like a lumen every so many seconds or something.

I will do another runtime test, but it will be later this year. The flashlight season is over for this time because the nights are not more dark here. I will come back in august. I long for the autumn already, but will enjoy the summertime with cycle trips.

Latest posts