plywood flashlights

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
making another one, the head was build a while ago, now i got some time and desire to actually finish the whole light.
the head has 6 xpg2 20mm carclo narrow optic. and rebel deepred 660nm tripple.
hyperboost will be driving xpg2's and led supply 700ma driver will be feeding red tripple.
power comes from 4 18650 panasonic 2900. in one pic i have tenergy pack, but i used it just for fitting and mesuring purposes. charging is done via balance tail and hobby charger.

this one also has thremocontrol, a 60c termostst is glued to one fin of the radiator, it will trip a relay that will swap potentiometer with 15 om resistior, that will drop current to min.

the leds are soldered to sinkpad stars, i will able to drive them at 2A on max.

entire light is about 1 1\2 inch thick.

P1070715_zpse6521ce4.jpg

11929cf8-c987-47c6-8bab-c6d9e526aa91_zps7f5214d7.jpg

8cd2398b-d290-430d-b417-51a4ba0102ad_zpsfd038da4.jpg

8ce9fd2d-0c1f-4f69-baba-d5f4b9dd71e0_zpsbae7166f.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If I ever acquire any more Ryobi 40V tools, I will likely want to build a light or two using the impressive capabilities of the 40V battery packs. I envision a spotlight - probably using a Luminus LED of some flavor - and an area light. Shaping the interface to the battery should be relatively simple. The driver has been the challenge whenever I look into these things - ~40V down to single LED voltage is apparently not all that common.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting, however for the sake of simplicity i'd go with multiple leds, especially spotight, there are not many(more like none), optics you can use with sst\cbt... to get narrow beam, kd sells 90+mm reflectors, but they are quite bulky, i'd go with dozen or more xpe2, there are few small, narrow optics for those leds. i really want to build a spotlight myself, with beam as narrow as hids have, but for now, it is only possible with multiple xpe\xpe2, neither luminus nor mtg2 have such optic available, and i don't want to use big reflector. and even that reflector wont make hid quality beam. aspheric lens is another way, but it is a wow light, not exactly practical.

driving 1 led off 40v battery is not common, for sure. however possible, might not be most efficient way, but doable

idleprocess

Flashaholic
interesting, however for the sake of simplicity i'd go with multiple leds, especially spotight, there are not many(more like none), optics you can use with sst\cbt... to get narrow beam, kd sells 90+mm reflectors, but they are quite bulky, i'd go with dozen or more xpe2, there are few small, narrow optics for those leds. i really want to build a spotlight myself, with beam as narrow as hids have, but for now, it is only possible with multiple xpe\xpe2, neither luminus nor mtg2 have such optic available, and i don't want to use big reflector. and even that reflector wont make hid quality beam. aspheric lens is another way, but it is a wow light, not exactly practical.

driving 1 led off 40v battery is not common, for sure. however possible, might not be most efficient way, but doable

I'm not looking for something that will equal a HID spotlight - got a couple of those already - just something that will push out further than my other LED flashlights. The bulk of a 90mm reflector isn't all that big of a deal - could possibly even look into a larger reflector from a cheap Harbor Freight incandescent spotlight if I want to futz with locating the focal point ... would likely get a lot of flood with that setup at the same time.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I ever acquire any more Ryobi 40V tools, I will likely want to build a light or two using the impressive capabilities of the 40V battery packs. I envision a spotlight - probably using a Luminus LED of some flavor - and an area light. Shaping the interface to the battery should be relatively simple. The driver has been the challenge whenever I look into these things - ~40V down to single LED voltage is apparently not all that common.

Some of the CXA arrays from Cree might be impressive with the 40V supply and a moderate current.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
- could possibly even look into a larger reflector from a cheap Harbor Freight incandescent spotlight if I want to futz with locating the focal point ... .

don't bother, i tried half a dozen of big halogen reflectors, none focuses led correctly.

davesc

Newly Enlightened
Those are pretty neat! That is how new things get discovered and shows how creativity finds a way out!

Maybe a PVC type of flashlight...next?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
build another one, this one with active cooling, controled by t stat, the lighthead has 12 xte 4000k. on the side i have color triple, red\green\uv 365nm, (used pmma ledil tir, and pmma window).
there is also yellow light inside the housing that shines thru clear middle layer. it has pwm from old dx 2,8a driver, mid\low\hi\strobe\sos. it is driven at 150ma, no heat issues at that current.
cb plug\jack used for ballance charging. main ligtht switch is a pot with on\off function, pull out\onn, push in \off. color light is comntroled by 6 position rotary switch, 3 of wich are not used, so it is red\off\green\off\uv\off. yellow light is controled by spdt switch. it is not compleate yet, needs little things, like fan cover, shorten switches, i also plan to install hinged clip on one side.
IMG_1127_zpsg10dhpix.jpg

IMG_1124_zpsuboatxam.jpg

IMG_1123_zpsjb8gfosn.jpg

IMG_1122_zpsqtkaalsv.jpg

IMG_1121_zpsgzijkoy3.jpg

IMG_1115_zps0mjslova.jpg

IMG_1112_zpsex2pjmj4.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i expect a lightmeter to come in any day, and i'll be able to mesure intensity, i could not make any usefull beamshots with iphone, i'll have to get a camera with manual setting.