• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Pocket Rocket - 8th run XM-L

Rej

Newly Enlightened
Hi Download....this light looks great!
Question; which bin would you recommend if...I like max brightness, but prefer a Neutral tint?? (NO obvious greens/yellow though)

Also, would the AL version have better heat dissipation than the TI, thus 'safer/longer' run times on high in the same temperature conditions?

And one more, are deliveries faster for one version over another?
Appreciate your feedback.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rej,

U2-1C cool white is the brightest we can get right now.
Neutral tint or warm tint color rendering are better, but not the top brightness.
T6-3B is the closest to white tint.

AL version does dissipate the heat better than the TI in the same temperature.
If the temperature is cool enough, the difference is small.

Ti first, Al ~1 week later.
:thanks:

skb

Newly Enlightened
I do believe he was speaking to the safe contiuous operation of the light on high.. Surely a light this size pushing out the amperage that it does will create a lot of heat running contiuously on high. I believe that what he was trying to ask was how long you can run it without the light getting too hot to hold or failing to operate. I'll let download speak to his personal recommendation, but with my experience with xm-l in a light this size, about 5 mins on high while hand heat-sinking should just about do it for comfort and safety. Of course YMMV

Thanks whizhumb, that's exactly what I was trying to ask.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
U2-3S or T6-3B (5300K-5000) you can choose now. :)
Please let me know.

U2-3S.jpg

Last edited:

nite2day

Newly Enlightened
Hi Download, I have just signed up on this forum and already want one (maybe2) 'Pocket Rockets'.

Is it too late for this run?
I have Paypal account but not quite sure of your given instructions re payment process.

:) Franz

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Franz,

Not too late.
Please send the reservation fee to my Paypal with "Personal payments" with your CPF name.
Or add 4% if not using "Personal payments".
That's it.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 700 mA to XM-L
T6 = 280-300lm
U2 = 300-320lm

U2-3S is brighter than T6-3B ~7%
:)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi download. Reserve payment sent (actually in the process, I guess) for $80.00 USD for one Titanium Pocket Rocket U2-3S.

Just a note, your PayPal thumbnail in your first post, links to your private Photobucket account and requests a password to enter. Not very helpful!:crackup: I think I did it correctly though.:)

Dave

JohnF

Enlightened
Question for anyone: I've ordered group 1, but am now thinking I'd like the ability to slow flash (locater flash) if it is hidden away in the UI enough so it won't bother normal brightness level changes. I don't understand the mode change - could someone explain exactly how it works? Thanks,

John F

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for anyone: I've ordered group 1, but am now thinking I'd like the ability to slow flash (locater flash) if it is hidden away in the UI enough so it won't bother normal brightness level changes.

Hi John. As I understand it, all 8th run Pocket Rockets have both the first and second group available. You just have to do as download said in his first post to switch between the two.

Change group by switching off & on at Low mode after 5 seconds of the flash signal.

So anyway, your Pocket Rocket will have both groups. All you have to do is figure out exactly how the mode change is done.:) I'm sure it's fairly simple. I just wish it had memory of the last level used, as some of the earlier versions had. I'm thinking that the superiority of the XM-L will make up for that minor gripe though.

Dave

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
45/70, link was corrected. :ohgeez:

JohnF, as 45/70 said, new driver have both groups, you can choose which one you like.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Ah, I'm just now understanding that 2 series (groups) of modes are available in this driver, and the flashlight user can not only cycle between brightness modes within each group, but can also change between group 1 and group 2. Nice.

I thought we had to choose one or the other, but it looks like we get both and we can choose on the fly... :cool:

jimtesla

Newly Enlightened
is there a glow ring on the front like previous versions i have seen

does this include an case saw some older ones for sale that said it came with one

do you gave a shot of the front of the light

and again high is 1000 lumens? wow

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......and again high is 1000 lumens? wow

Hi Jim. I can't help you with your other questions, but as download stated previously,

It is index only, no real no.
High is set to 1000.
1000, 280, 70

the "1000" is only a relative index number and not "lumens". For example, using downloads figures, you could say that the light's driver drives the LED at 100% (high), 28% (medium), and 7% (low). As drive current level is loosely related to actual LED output, and the eye perceives increases in light intensity algorithmically, this would mean that the perceived output of the Pocket Rocket would approximately double, each step up from low to medium and medium to high. Conversely, the perceived output would be reduced by approximately 50% each step down from "high".

I haven't done any serious guesstimates as to the actual probable output of the light, but I'm guessing that the output in lumens would be about 50 lumens "low", 200 "medium", and 800 "high". Again, this is just a quick guess and could be off considerably from the actual output of the light.

Dave

Last edited:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
OneBigDay, the driver does perform a little bit smarter. :)

jimtesla, it has a glow ring on the front lens. And include an simple case too.
Front pics later,

Thanks Dave,
1000 is index only. Not real lumens.
Battery draw: 2600mA, 600mA, 150mA as Index reading 1000, 280, 70

In Cree spec. sheet 700 mA to XM-L
T6 = 280-300lm
U2 = 300-320lm

For the XM-L, High would be about 900lm something.