• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Pocket Rocket - 8th run XM-L

pri0n

Newly Enlightened
Can I get in on the U2-3S (5300K-5000K)
and if not, the
T5-3C (5000K-4750K)?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
A package arrive in the mail yesterday :devil:

Tried the titanium PR-8 last night for about an hour (my normal dog walking time). Beautiful beam without a defined hotspot, floody but with good throw. Very much like my McGizmo Haiku, a wonderfully useful beam.

Really did not care for the full polish finish, and had asked about a bead blast finish early on but none was available. So I machined a pair of press fit Delrin end caps that would "mask off" each end & placed the PR-8 into the blast cabinet. Titanium sparks look so awesome when the high pressure glass beads hit the surface - pure white and rather short.

Here's the result:

beadblast3.jpg

beadblast2.jpg

beadblast1.jpg

Time surely does fly, probably because of 6 or 7 days work weeks, but my PR8 sees 90 minutes of run time every night, and has done this for the past 30 days. I cannot believe the AW18650 protected 2900 mAh is still going strong (it was brand new & fresh off the charger when installed a month ago).

You've probably guessed that 95% of the run time is on the low output. This is my "tail light" when walking our Siberian Husky, as the beam is bright & floody, quickly attracting an approaching driver's attention.

Beam profile is stunning. Nice distribution, no artifacts, good color (bin T6-3B at 5300K-5000K), substantial output on low, very useful medium, and an unbelievable high for such a tiny light.

Construction is solid. One of my friends is a police officer & he was impressed with the heft of the titanium model. His comment was that it would make a good striking tool.

Great job, Chan. If another titanium PR8 comes up for sale, I may own two :thumbsup:

PayBack

Enlightened
Apologies if this has been asked already (I didn't read the entire thread) but how does output and throw compare to 6th run lights? I have a 6th which is quality work, and I love the size and being able to tail stand and have a GITD switch (zebralight take note, I miss you no longer offering GITD switches, they make so much sense).

Anyway while my 6th run is great at short range, if this was ok for medium I'd be very tempted.

Thanks,

PB.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
pri0n, T5-3C (5000K-4750K) is available.

precisionworks, thanks for your kind words and support! It is possible. :)

PayBack, in my eyes XM-L would be 10-15% brighter.
:thanks:

PayBack

Enlightened
pri0n, T5-3C (5000K-4750K) is available.

precisionworks, thanks for your kind words and support! It is possible. :)

PayBack, in my eyes XM-L would be 10-15% brighter.
:thanks:

Cheers DL. Is it just as floody, or does it throw more?

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
Just received mine. I like it. Can't wait until night time...maybe I can figure out why it won't change modes by then...

Very nice craftsmanship. Thanks!

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I was able to play a little with it outside at night. This flashlight is nice! Very floody compared to the other custom flashlight I have (which has the same LED, but a TIR lens so it's very much about the throw.)

I do have an issue though. I can't change out of high. I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot (could be wrong?) but it won't cycle through to any other settings. Help?

EDIT: Or I could be an idiot. Nevermind. A couple pics...

2011-08-09_01-25-51_263.jpg

2011-08-09_01-26-21_826.jpg

And with my Dark Sucks Alpha, for size comparison:
2011-08-09_01-26-49_250.jpg

With the 4Sevens AA^2 Turbo and Dark Sucks Alpha:
2011-08-09_03-33-18_494.jpg

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
Finally got my PR8 today. It's everything I was hoping it would be and more. I love the tint on the T5-4A bin LED. The warmest LED I've owned to date. Nice finish and color as well. Sometimes HA natural can be a little too green. This light is beautiful. Thank you for the great work Charles.:twothumbs

A funny Post Office story having nothing to do with Download... When the guys in my group started getting their lights towards the end of July, I was all excited. I followed the tracking which said it hit Brooklyn, NY on Aug 2nd. I thought it would arrive within the next few days for sure. You see I live in New York state about 50 miles north of Brooklyn. So 3 days later it arrives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.:confused: It seems Brooklyn decided to send my new flashlight on a little vacation.:shakehead

Yesterday Aug 9th, a week has gone by since Brooklyn sent it to the wrong place and they've stopped updating the tracking. Just as I'm starting to think they must have throw it in the ocean because they couldn't think of a way to get it any farther south, my wife very sympathetically asks, "Why do you think Fed-Ex came into existence"? Thanks dear.:rolleyes: Well at least my sense of humor was starting to return.

So today Aug 10th, I get home from work and tracking says it's in my hometown. An hour later my mailman lady knocks on the door. Just as I was convinced they had either lost it or decided to do an extended inspection of this beautiful light. Thank you again Charles, I love it.

whizdumb

Newly Enlightened
I too recently had a shipment go awry from NY.. Specifically the Jamaica Queens Sort Facility. They seriously need to look into the USPS operations in NY.. They are messing up big time. Glad you got your light and that you like it.

Sorry for the off topic post but I just wanted everyone to know I feel your pain.

dfwcaver

Newly Enlightened
My light arrived today. WOW - I love this thing! And shipping was very fast.

Thank you download.

brembo

Enlightened
PR Run 8 light now sits at the head of my nightstand rotation. Something about super-floody XML goodness makes me so happy. It lights up my bedroom better than the overheads (2 60 watt incans), or pop it in low mode and have a good night-light. The anno is a work of art, I'm scared to carry it much, I'd feel terrible if I marred that beautiful finish. The light buttons up so tight that the seams almost vanish....great stuff Download.

Download-

In your next run, PLEASE include a provision for trits. I think three slots around the body would suffice, 0 degrees, 120, and 240 so no matter it's orientation one will always be visible. The GITD bezel ring and cap are fine, but tritium is one of the things that makes a light super-special.

PayBack

Enlightened
The anno is a work of art, I'm scared to carry it much, I'd feel terrible if I marred that beautiful finish.

I was a lilttle concerned myself when forcing on the lantern attachment meant for Feenix PD3's (I think) onto my R6. Was very tight, but not a mark on it. Twice now I've seen a flake chipped out of my anno... that upon closer inspection was just a shaped reflection in one of the curved bits. You can imagine my relief!

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all,

No.24. U2-1C 8x7135 Diver L,M,H with memory & Black tailcap is available and ready to ship.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
No.24. U2-1C 8x7135 Diver L,M,H with memory & Black tailcap is available.
Ready to ship.