Polaroid BR30 800 lumen bulb under $10

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this at Menards and decided to try one out. Price was $10.88 (sale priced) and they are running a 11% store wide rebate, so it will end up under $10.

Bulb is a fin-less heatsink design with vents to route air through additional internal heatsinking to help cool it.

Lighting facts: 800 lumens, 11 watts (72.7 L/w), 3000K, 40,000 hrs., dimmable.

My measurements and observations: power factor .95, 10.6 watts @ 122 volts
Bulb would dim smoothly down to dark on an ordinary triac dimmer. Faint buzzing at middle settings noticeable. No buzz without dimmer. No noticeable flicker.
Construction quality seems rather good for this price point. Bulb has some weight to it given the amount of aluminum used in the construction.

The plastic dome will pop off with a screwdriver revealing 20 mid power SMD LEDs on aluminum core board which was mounted to the aluminum bowl/reflector.

Overall I'm quite pleased with this bulb. I will be buying more soon as the sale and rebate will be over this weekend.

mapson

Enlightened
I was considering purchasing a couple for my outdoor motion sensor unit. I think I saw a two pack for around $15.

brickbat

Enlightened
I just picked up one of the Polaroid 800 lm A19 lamps. $4.98 at Menards. They're also 3000K, which is a little rare it seems. I'm a little leery of their heatsink-free design. The previous Polaroid design had a rather large heatsink, but wasn't dimmable like this one...

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up one of the Polaroid 800 lm A19 lamps. $4.98 at Menards. They're also 3000K, which is a little rare it seems. I'm a little leery of their heatsink-free design. The previous Polaroid design had a rather large heatsink, but wasn't dimmable like this one...

I don't see them on Polaroids site. Must be very new. What is the power draw indicated on the packaging?

mapson

Enlightened

How many watts do the lamps you picked up, use? Last glance I think they use over 10 watts, somewhere around 12 watts or so.

brickbat

Enlightened
The lamp and its packaging are marked 12 Watts. I measure 9-10 Watts with a Kill a Watt Meter. PF measures 0.80.

The internal construction looks similar to the Sylvania 800 lumen JohnR66 showed in another recent thread.

So...
I stuck a thermocouple on the LED heatsink (the aluminum support structure under the plastic globe). I measured about 70C rise over ambient. Yikes!

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any trouble so far?
At the $10 [& less for the 650 lumen version] I am considering gifting these.
And Menards has their 11% rebate, again.

brickbat

Enlightened
No problems yet, though I only have a few. If you want 3000K, these seem to be a decent choice. Otherwise there are lots of options, some from more respected brands...