Polishing Titanium?

CC268

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to polish up one of my titanium lights as it is getting pretty scratched up. I read a thread on here about using 3M Micron Polishing Paper. Seemed to work pretty well.

nbp

Flashaholic
If it doesn't need to be a mirror finish, 0000 grade steel wool works very well for machined finish lights.

Also, I'm going to move this to the metals and machining area. If that poses a problem let me know. :)

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've discovered that your typical lathe finish is between 400 - 600 grit. Consider that a starting point, unless you've got some deeper stuff. Then don't polish it and just enjoy the wabi

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
3m fast cut, a buff wheel and a drill, and you got mirror like finish.

stevos758

Newly Enlightened
I have used in the past a sisal wheel with black compound from HF and follow it up with Cotton wheel and green to finish. works pretty good but I myself think there is a better way. Ill have to try that 3m fastcut.

Karbon22

Newly Enlightened
Flitz and some elbow grease does well without too much material deformation

LedTed

Enlightened
I'm thinking about Fitz followed by Carnauba on my incoming Ti/Cu FW3X. But I've never used wax on something which could get that hot. Anybody have any experience?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I clean up my McGizmos with the gray or maroon Scotch Brite Pads, then use the white Scotch Brite with some Flitz. I take the clip off, and polish them even, all the way around. Clean with Windex and micro fiber cloth. Takes about two minutes.

Last edited: