Super-hard metal 'four times tougher than titanium'

Capolini

Banned
Very interesting. When my knees wear out[4 operations- last one in 1992] after ~ 20,000 more miles of walking Capo[7mi./Day], I will be ready for this super hard metal knee replacement!:eek:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The article is pretty sparse. It sounds more like it might be a tempering process rather than a new combination of materials. if I remember my physics classes, gold (Au) does not offer much in the hardness category.

Either way, I say we start building some bezel rings from it

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Jeez, it's hard to count how many times the author conflates 'tough' with 'hard' - two very different properties that are most often contrary each other. :rolleyes:

The article is pretty sparse. It sounds more like it might be a tempering process rather than a new combination of materials. if I remember my physics classes, gold (Au) does not offer much in the hardness category. [...]
They are referencing Ti3Au intermetallic - an ordered alloy that can have considerably different properties compared to traditional alloys or their individual constituents.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Jeez, it's hard to count how many times the author conflates 'tough' with 'hard' - two very different properties that are most often contrary each other.
Spot on.

Titanium (Ti-6-4 aka Grade 5) offers good toughness & makes terrific springs, like those in some fighter aircraft & Formula 1 race cars. Titanium's low modulus, low density, and high strength combine to produce a spring which is typically 40% to 60% lighter than steel.

It is moderately hard with typical hardness in the annealed condition of Rockwell C 30-34, and about Rockwell C 35-39 in the solution and aged condition. Even "soft" knife blades run C 45-50 & because the scale is logarithmic that's a huge amount harder.

Every metal has a unique combination of properties, much like a fingerprint. Hardness alone isn't the determining factor in material selection.

Last edited:
Whenever I read posts such as the ones above, I'm again reminded of the breadth of knowledge possessed by many of CPFs' members. At times, I'm almost embarrassed to use the same font. Perhaps Greta could provide a crayon font for the rest of us. :laughing:

~ Chance

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging from the context, it looks like the headline should be "four times harder than titanium" as it is referencing wear resistance of the alloy instead of strength. Still, impressive for something biocompatible as titanium in any of its regularly available forms is pitifully soft compared to tool steels and even low end knife blades.

helios123

Enlightened
Titanium and gold! Thats gonna be one pricey material!

Im curious what the color of the metal is gonna be like. Maybe something like white gold but darker?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... titanium in any of its regularly available forms is pitifully soft compared to tool steels and even low end knife blades.

Aluminum alloys, like those used in any high quality flashlight, must be rated at a much lower softness than Ti. Maybe:
  • dismal
  • lamentable
  • pathetic
  • deplorable
  • or something similar
Yet aluminum alloys provide more than adequate performance in military, police, firefighter, EMT, search & rescue, lost dog finding, etc. Pitifully soft titanium gives even better performance in many of the tools or toys we carry & use - flashlights, knives, lanyard beads, etc. The fact that neither Al or Ti easily rusts or corrodes is a huge plus that greatly outweighs their horrid softness.

fyrstormer

Banned
I've never heard of titanium described as being "soft". It doesn't hold up to abrasion very well, which means it wouldn't make a very good knife blade, but hardness is only one measure of durability.