Possible new contender for the 1Kw larryk crown

japudjuha

Enlightened
Last edited:

2filthy3

Newly Enlightened
Higher voltage lamps such as this do not always compare so favourably to the low voltage units we are used to, the higher voltage calls for a thinner filament wire, which tends to provide a larger overall filament size, the larger filament's experience more heat loss, reducing their efficiency and the larger Filaments overall dimensions reduce the effectiveness of the reflectors parabola, as it is less of a point source than that of the q4559 and 4556. As their super thick filaments are quite compact.

So even though it is a very narrow spot, it might not throw like a 600w 28v very narrow spot, It would still probably throw quite will if overdriven about its 110v rating though, this bulb has probably got more to gain than the 4556/9 from overdriving.

Though I guess it's lumens output would be good, it might not give the same wow as your 4559, And 120v is getting high for the voltage supply in a flashlight, on second thought this would have a bit of wow factor if you tried it in the 140v area.

After that negativity, I do think that it would still be a colossal spot/flood light, and interesting creation that I would like to see, but I am partial to flashlights being 100% hand held units.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
You can easily see what 2filthy3 is talking about by comparing the G.E. Q4559X 600 Watt Halogen and the standard 4559 600 Watt lamps. The "X" has a very wide (relative to the reflector) filament loop, maybe 3/4" wide whereas the 4559 has a tighter loop(s), maybe 1/4" wide in Axial format. The spot of the 4559 is much smaller and rounder and while I have not compared them at the range, I am confident that the throw of the 4559 will be significantly further.

It's difficult to see in the pic, but does this lamp use many parallel aligned filament wires? If so, there probably won't be much of a "spot" at all.

japudjuha

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I thought as much.
I had my eye on the 1000w hid par 64 63,000 lm but I think it might be too expensive for me atm.
oh well, I'll have to cook up something crazy just to keep my sanity...

Last edited: