Power Outage Practice... Earth Hour 2022

Poppy

Flashaholic
Earth Hour 2022 is today March 12, 2022
8:30 PM local time.

It's a great time to practice a power outage, and see if your preps would keep you and your's comfortable. Turn off power for an hour, get out your flashlights or lanterns, play a board game, check the batteries in your radio (see if you remember where your radio is).
Good luck!
Have fun! :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll wait until clock change day and pretend that hour the gubment stole from me is the hour to practice lights out……
Edit:
This day was clock change day. Spring forward and all that. Slept thru the whole thing.
End edit

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Here in the northeast, we may get that practice a few days early. It's been warm, so the ground is soft. Add in 7-12" of snow and 25-40mph winds today, I'm hoping we're lucky and this passes without incident. If it does, I'll take that hour of practice on the 15th. Coincidentally, my Kaito Voyager v2 arrived the other day and is sitting charged on my dining room table. 😊

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I interviewed my soon to be new boss this week Scout. He lives west of your area in the upper part of W Va (near Ohio) and mentioned the same thing you just did. They are forecast 9" of wet snow he said. I asked if he has a generator. He said in a west Virginia accent "naw man, we got wood stoves and hand crank flashlatz, we're good".

I say I interviewed him because if my new boss is a little hitler color me gone from that place. He passed. lol. We stood outside in a 40 degree breeze talking and while I was zipping up my jacket and adding a stocking cap he was rolling up his shirt sleeves saying "boys it's lak summer here"…

10736D82-19C8-4EBB-8235-46F69A2A63CE.jpeg

My new boss where he hails from.
He's sitting on the peak of an arch bridge 450' above the Ohio river in this photo.

scout24

Flashaholic
Byk- I read that in his voice, lol. It's been snowing here since 7am, we've got 3" on the ground already. I have to go shovel the deck and a spot in the yard for the pup, or he won't want to go out. He's got some short 2 1/2 month old puppy legs yet.

scout24

Flashaholic
Chauncey- My eu2000i is roughly the same vintage, but has about 1500 hours on it. Better to have and not need... 🤓😁

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have to go shovel the deck and a spot in the yard for the pup, or he won't want to go out. He's got some short 2 1/2 month old puppy legs yet.
We have a lab/dane mix who ever since arriving guards the perimeter. For some reason he thinks he lives outdoors despite a doggy door. No matter the weather he travels the perimeter hour after hour. Today I locked him indoors because of the weather. Now he's laying around looking all sad like "sigh! no dragons to slay, so bored, sigh".

The other dog……"you want me to do what? go outside in that weather, pffft yeah right". "zzzzzz" lol

In the meantime I asked Mrs Fixer if she wanted to celebrate earth day tonight. Since this is a family channel I won't quote her answer but will say I don't think we're celebrating earth day tonight.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
In the meantime I asked Mrs Fixer if she wanted to celebrate earth day tonight. Since this is a family channel I won't quote her answer but will say I don't think we're celebrating earth day tonight.
I'm into this stuff big time but even I think something like Earth Hour is just silly symbolism. I won't be celebrating it, either.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah I'm all about taking care of the 3rd rock from the sun mainly because I live on it. No doubt the human race has left some scars and continues to.

Trouble is, these days so much propaganda is disguised as information while so much information is disguised as propaganda. Each day I try to celebrate earth hour a little here and a little there.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The last time I did this, it was just me and one grandson. I told him I was going to turn of the power and we could practice a power outage. He asked, can you wait 15 minutes until the show I am watching is over? Sure.

15 minutes later, I tell him I am going to cut the power. When I do, the emergency lights come on. :au: He gets up, walks to my bedroom and gets a light. He tail stands it on his dresser, and changes into PJs, and goes to bed!

LOL... a few minutes later, I was done practicing. :crackup: