Powerex 2700mAH AA / 1000mAH AAA testing results

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
I hope this reply isn't too late to be of any use!

Regarding the Maha MH-C204F charger, I am currently using three of this model. There are two independent charging circuits of two batteries each. The back of the charger states, "charger output: DC2.4V, 500 mA x 2Ch", which seems to imply series charging is used. Also, when you insert batteries, it won't start a pair charging until they're both in place. If the charger used parallel charging, this would require a sensor to determine if both bays of a pair had a load attached. That would be an added expense. Also, without such a sensor, Maha could have advertised it as a dual-rate charger, depending on whether the user inserted one or two batteries. These facts all point to it using series charging for each pair.

The instruction sheet also says, "Charge time: 60-160 minutes*" and "Charge time will vary depending upon the brand, capacity, and condition of batteries being charged." I frequently charge Duracell 2650 mAh cells, and they charge fully, as compared to LaCrosse BC-900. It takes quite a bit more than 160 minutes when they're nearly dead. I guess the instruction sheet was written quite a while ago!

In use, I've never had any problems charging even casually matched pairs. I don't benchmark most of my cells, but I have never had any overheat. I always charge pairs that were used together, in series, in the same device. The use has to have been fairly recent, so that they could not have drifted too far apart from each other by self-discharge differences. If I can't assure these conditions, I use the LaCrosse or the MH-401FS, which have individual channels for each cell.

Hope this helps!:popcorn:

Mike

sajmmiller

Newly Enlightened
I have a Maha C204F which has functioned as my primary charger until recently receiving the Maha C9000. The C204F charges my Kodak 2500mAh NiMH in about 5 hours and terminates reliably. I only wish my C9000 charged as gently and terminated as reliably as the C204F. I don't think you will have any problems charging or discharging 2700mAh AA or 1000mAh AAA batteries in the C204F.

Scott

Latest posts