PowerGenix NiZn batteries

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
I just did a test on a cell that was sitting for 2 months after a charge

Test parameters - discharge at 1350mah down to 1.3v
Capacity tested right after charge - 1175mah
Capacity tested 2 months after charge - 1121mah

That's pretty damn good charge retention right there. I should mention the voltage throughout the discharge curve was about 0.05v less than when tested freshly charged. Though it is still putting out far more voltage than a nimh in any state.

Powergenix replaced my damaged cell with a set of newer and supposedly improved ones. I'll be putting those to test soon.

95% of capacity retention after 2 months... thats great!!!!

when you do a discharge test consider the power, not the current, cause the voltage is different. when you drain 1A from a ni-mh battery you get around 1.2W of power, for take the same power from a ni-zn you must drain around 750mA of current

MarioJP

Enlightened
I am tempted to get these cells. What happens if these cells are discharged below 1.3 Volts??.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Any more info on these? I'm tempted to try 2 in a Javelin. 4 with a dedicated charger for under $30 is cheaper than the L91 primaries I'm using.

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Any more info on these? I'm tempted to try 2 in a Javelin. 4 with a dedicated charger for under $30 is cheaper than the L91 primaries I'm using.

I consulted Eagletac if it was safe to use them in P20A2 and they gave me the thumbs up. Haven't done it yet cause I use them for my DSLR's.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried my Dereelight XPG R5 with a pair of these NiZn cells. It was quite bright...but three NiMH Eneloops were even brighter, and the Dereelight can't safely use three NiZn cells.

I also tried using three NiZN cells to power my Malkoff M30WF. The Malkoff is specified to safely accept up to 5.0V. After 10 minutes, the Malkoff began strobing to keep cool. I'm surprised, for I've tested my dozen NiZn AA cells at 1A discharge, and 10 of them deliver a "modest" 1.6V after just 1 minute. Still, the Malkoff is so well-regulated, there's no shame in using just two NiZn cells in the 2AA host of your choice: Dereelight Javelin, Solarforce L2R, FiveMega 2AA--am I leaving anyone out?

Where NiZn may shine is with incan lamps nominally rated at 6V but designed to run at 4.8V. This weekend I'll test two such lamps--the Lumens Factory HO-6 and EO-6--with three NiZn cells and four NiMH cells. I'll report the results in a thread I began in the Incandescent Flashlights forum.

NewTech

Newly Enlightened
I consulted Eagletac if it was safe to use them in P20A2 and they gave me the thumbs up. Haven't done it yet cause I use them for my DSLR's.
---------------------------------------------

I just order 1Hr charger and 4 NiZn from Amazon.com.
I'll test 2 NiZn on my Jetbeam Jet I PRO EX V3 and ET P-20 A2.

Paul_in_Maryland ! I hope you're right, otherwise, my flashlights will .....

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
View the instructions for the PowerGenix NiZn fast charger

I've posted my results in the incan forum. The HO-6 hot-flashed; the HO-4 shorted out. The EO-6 and EO-4 worked (on 3 NiZns and three NiMHs, respectively) but their output was underwhelming.

I've posted, in English and Spanish, a scan of the instructions that came with the PowerGenenix fast charger. I'd embed the images here, but the text is too small to remain readable in a CPF-compliant image width of 800 pixels.

MarioJP

Enlightened
The only downside about these cells is they can fail prematurely if they get shorted. They will fail almost instantly too. I lost 2 of these cells because of this. Otherwise these are the next gen AA cells to hit the market