Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
Dumb question... but how is it different from this one?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2096

There's no description to back this up, but based on the photos and specs, I suspect this version is a very similar light except that it SEEMS to be a rear twisty switch instead of a clickie. The advantage of this configuration might be slightly overall length (3.19" vs 3.54"). Come to think of it, the market seems to be flooded with lots of low-dollar 1AA Lux/Lux-clone lights with rear clickie switches. 1AA twisties are no where near as well represented in the really low end of the market so this little light might be a real boone for twisie fans who want a reasonably bright beater light without breaking the bank.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
linerlock said:
...it SEEMS to be a rear twisty switch instead of a clickie.
Are you sure on that? Save the pic of the tail end of the light, and turn up the gamma in your photo editor. There is a clearly a button in the tail.

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
Are you sure on that? Save the pic of the tail end of the light, and turn up the gamma in your photo editor. There is a clearly a button in the tail.

No Ty, I'm not sure. That's why I was careful to qualify my statement with "SEEMS to be". Actually now that I've taken another look at the photos, I'm more inclined to believe that it's a front twisty not a rear twisty as I had originally speculated. This photo: http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_2096_5.jpg shows the light open from the front with the head inverted and the rear of the PCB board plainly visible. I would infer from this photo that this is how you are supposed to open the light to load the cell. This is consistent with a front twisty light. Also, this photo: http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_2096_7.jpg shows the light alongside a AA battery for scale. The length of the AA cell isn't much shorter than the overall length of light that can be seen behind the lamp module. I simply don't see how there could be room to include a functional clicky switch and and up with a battery tube / tail switch assembly that is only slightly longer than the AA cell that it contains.

I do see what you mean about the button-like projection that is visible on the rear of the light. However, based on the other evidence, I think that is just a ringed indentation machined into the solid rear of the light to enable the use of a split ring and/or lanyard while still allowing the light to tail stand in "candle mode".

krazy89

Enlightened
hey guys... i'm sure that a AA battery light must be twisty if it's 3.19"....

the one that is 3.5" will likely have a clickie...

i'm just disappointed that there aren't any AAA small lights with a clickie... i don't really like twisties as much as clickies....

if anyone knows of such a light.. plz let me know... (also, if the price is under $20)...

KraZy

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
krazy89 said:
i'm just disappointed that there aren't any AAA small lights with a clickie...
Heck, I'd be happy if they sold something like the HX-G011 but with a AAA battery, even if it was a twisty. I'd love to have a $5 AAA "1 watt" light to give away as gifts. I might even keep one on the extra set of keys for myself.

The closest, least expensive 1xAAA, "1 watt" light I can find is the Ultrafire 602C. But, it's about three times as much as I want to pay. :(

krazy89

Enlightened
i so wanted to buy the 602.... but i held off....

i think this one will be decent... and .. if it can.. i would drop a cree mini in there... just don't know if it's a straight drop in or not...

hope someone out there has done it with this model..... step-by-step anyone??!??!?!

KraZy

johnny13oi

Enlightened
krazy89 said:
i so wanted to buy the 602.... but i held off....

i think this one will be decent... and .. if it can.. i would drop a cree mini in there... just don't know if it's a straight drop in or not...

hope someone out there has done it with this model..... step-by-step anyone??!??!?!

KraZy

I dont think anyone has tried yet but they will because this light just came out and no one has received it yet. I think the MX power flashlight have the same body and everything but just a different LED ... so you can try and ask if anyone has put the cree mini into the mx power flashlight. I dont think the cree mini has been around for long either so you probably have to wait a while for an answer. I too am thinking about putting a cree mini in there but a SSC mini would be even better if they ever make one.

itch808

Newly Enlightened
I love my 602C, it may cost a bit more than the OP's suggested light but even stock without modification it more than bright enough for what it is on lithiums. Not to mention it's a lot cheaper than a light such as a LOD-CE.

krazy89

Enlightened
hey guys...

well... one of my main criteria was that the flashlight has to use ordinary batteries... i know Lion batteries are better for brightness... but it's really of no use when i'm out and about.. and can recharge them...

AA's are easy to find.. and really offer the best tradeoff for size/runtime.... AAA's just dont have that great of runtimes....

I was under the impression that the cree's are better than the seouls?!?!? is that wrong???

KraZy

infection0

Newly Enlightened
To people who have this light or similar lights: does it use a star board? If so, I have two boards that are itching to be used...

krazy89

Enlightened
hey infection... i've been trying to find people that have this light to give me some info on it... but doesn't seem like there's anyone with it!?!?!?

i want to know if i can put the mini cree in it!?!?!?

KraZy

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Thank you for contacting DealExtreme.com Customer Support.

This emitter is not based on a star board. It's actually a small rounded board.

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
I'm a total noob but am I wrong in thinking the focusing would be easier if you install a Seoul instead of a Cree? I've been wanting to buy something from DX now that I can actually get it to come up. $11 or so wouldn't kill me.
THX

I just found this one so I'm wondering why I would risk doing the mod.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1995

/edited because the market moves faster than I can type

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
haha.. .yeah... about 3 days after i ordered the G011.... that one came out...

i was a little bit cheesed... but what can u do???

small rounded board eh? can anyone say filing???

KraZy

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I bet it does fit the mini crees at kaidomain because the ones at kaidomain seem to be replacing the mini rounded led boards.

krazy89

Enlightened
i think i remember the one that you're talking about... it does look like it's made to fit a single AA body. Too bad i don't have the actual light yet... so i can order the one from kaidomain to try it out...

i wonder if there's a booster in the G011?? then i can straight swap just the emitter.... i would hate to try to add in a booster in there....

KraZy

johnny13oi

Enlightened
krazy89 said:
i think i remember the one that you're talking about... it does look like it's made to fit a single AA body. Too bad i don't have the actual light yet... so i can order the one from kaidomain to try it out...

i wonder if there's a booster in the G011?? then i can straight swap just the emitter.... i would hate to try to add in a booster in there....

KraZy

I'm pretty sure there is a booster in there otherwise I don't think the LED would light. I think the internals would probably be similar to the Elly's internals as I think it uses the exact same LED as the Elly and it is a 1AA just like the Elly.

krazy89

Enlightened
yeah... i would expect there to be.. since emitters usually light between 3.0-3.7v...

i just wish DX would hurry up and ship mine.. so i can actually take it apart....

anyone here know any good resources for a booster and/or regulator circuit design that can be used for lights?

THanks,

KraZy