Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I should receive mine soon in a few days. It was shipped out on the 15th and I don't have much tools where I am right now but I will try my best to see what's inside when it comes.

krazy89

Enlightened
sounds good....

i think mine should be on the way too.... melissa said that she will expediate my shipment.... god knows that means tho>???

KraZy

spider-cricket-hater

Newly Enlightened
mine was shipped on 3/14/2007. as soon as it comes, I will take it apart and take some picttures with microlenses and post it here.

I haven't done any mods with lights in my life, so i will wait for some helpful advices here before doing anything.

krazy89

Enlightened
spider...

if you can take those photos.. that would be great... i haven't received mine yet... but so wanna know what's inside..

thx,

KraZy

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine today. It's worth the five bucks I spent on it. It comes in a plain piece of bubble wrap. There are no accessories, no lanyard, not even a battery in it. Tail stand is a little wobbly, as the switch boot sticks out a bit too far. The machining is of mediocre quality. The two holes drilled in the end for a lanyard don't quite line up with each other. The threads are loose and sloppy. On mine, the tailcap goes on nice and straight, but the head is slightly crooked after you tighten it down. The threads and orings are dry - no lube.

Ok, enough of the bad news. The tail switch, while it is a reverse clicky, has a nice positive snap to it. The beam is about as bright as expected, and relatively smooth. The color is a touch blue, but not as blue as my RY0J Luxeon. It fired up just fine on a Walgreens branded AA cell. There is nary a flicker, and I didn't have to fiddle with any of the contact surfaces. The reflector is smooth and clean. So is the lens, although it is assuredly plastic.

These will make fine giveaways for someone. For under $5, I like it.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
spider-cricket-hater said:
are you goint to mod it or not worth the effort ?
I think this is one of those silk purse / sows ear sort of thing. Why put a $7 emitter in a $5 light? It doesn't make sense, at least not to me. I'll take this light for what it is - an unbelievably cheap little AA pocket light, that happens to be reasonably bright too.

Besides, I'm not quite sure how to get it apart. You can see the back side of the driver board when you unscrew the head. There seems like it might be press fit into a metal ring, presumably threaded. If there were some notches in the metal ring, I might try applying some force to screw it out. Unfortunately, there are none. The only place you have to grab hold is a couple of holes in the circuit board itself. I tried to turn it with needle nose pliers, but it didn't budge. I'm afraid if I apply more force, it'll just wreck the board.

I figured out why the head on mine sat crooked when tightened down. It seems the press fit driver board wasn't fully pressed into the metal ring. I took a 1/2" socket and used it as a drift to press the circuit board further into its seat. Use a small wood block to prevent scratches to the head, and clamp the head along with the socket in a vise. It still isn't perfect, but it's much better. Maybe there is a shaving of aluminum or circuit board or something trapped under the edge that is preventing it from seating all the way.

The walls of this light are very thin, but that makes it very lightweight in the pocket. The beam has a nice smooth transition from spot to spill. The rubber boot is made of that weird cheap rubber that has that funny smell. I hope the smell goes away soon.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Hmm,
Thanks for the update Ty. Guess I'll know what to expect when mine finally comes in next week. Your "preview" will help if I also get a light that screws down crookedly :awman:

Let's just hope those jetbeams we all ordered from dx don't still have the bad threads that haunted the earlier ones. That would really drive me over the edge...

Dobbler

Enlightened
How does it compare brightness-wise to say an L0D-CE or L1D-CE on low/medium?

Any comparison beamshots? Anyone try any runtime measurements?

krazy89

Enlightened
hey ty...

thanks for the preview... man.. i was hoping that i would get mine on thurs or fri.... but alas... i didn't... i hope i'll get mine monday... cuz it's been a very, VERY long time since i've ordered....

i'm hoping that you can take the board and emitter out.... cuz, if the body is devent enuff... it is worth it to put a cree... or maybe a ssc in there....

more on this after i get mine.... damnit!

KraZy

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
krazy89 said:
hey infection... i've been trying to find people that have this light to give me some info on it... but doesn't seem like there's anyone with it!?!?!?

i want to know if i can put the mini cree in it!?!?!?

KraZy
PLease explain mini Cree ?? I put a cree in mine,although I belive mine to be differnt than the ones that yall are all talking about here,but similar,And the hot spot wasnt worth the effort of installing the cree in the light.. I want to slam a luxeon rebel in there,But I guess they arent for sell to the public yet :(

Russ

johnny13oi

Enlightened
The mini Cree is the Cree on a mini star or circular board. The cree emitter itself is not smaller.

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
johnny13oi said:
The mini Cree is the Cree on a mini star or circular board. The cree emitter itself is not smaller.
Ahh thanks for the clarification,Where does one purchase one of these said mini crees?

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
I received mine today as well. Ty_Bower's initial impressions mirror mine. The head becomes very slightly crooked when screwed all the way down and the body is very thin. Mine actually had a small dent in it from shipping. No lanyard either even though the DX picture shows one attached. It is very small and very light compared to the Elly.

The emitter is perfectly centered in mine and I was surprised how bright the output was. It was very white as well which was a shock.

One thing, The writing on my unit says it is a 3W light but the DX site says 1W on the flashlight picture if you look at it closely. Ty_Bower, what does yours say?
If I leave my light on for more than a minute, it does get warm.

My impresssion is that this is a good glovebox light or good cheap EDC if you are not rough on it because it will dent easily (thin body) when compared to the bulletproof thick Elly body.
Personally, I like the look of this light much better than the Elly. The brightness and color of the light is better than the Elly when comparing stock to stock.
I also tried to get the pill out of the head and was unsuccessful on my initial try. I will give it another go tomorrow and let you know how hard it was if I am successful.

johnny13oi

Enlightened

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
DX also has very similar lights with a Cree or SSC in them, if you like this design with the better LED. I also have one of these on order, it appears to be a nice light for the price.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
davenlei said:
One thing, The writing on my unit says it is a 3W light but the DX site says 1W on the flashlight picture if you look at it closely.
Mine says "3W LED" on the side. Not that it matters much what it says. You can't get three watts out of a single AA alkaline cell.

spider-cricket-hater

Newly Enlightened
this is a silly question, but has been bogging me since I was looking at this post ( I am brand new to the whole cree, luxeon ssc deal. ) - what is Elly ? Is this a particular light, bulb or manufacturer ?