Practical uses for handheld lasers - What do you use your Laser for?

smoses

Newly Enlightened
I have two low mW lasers, a red and a green, that I've only used for presentations. Never gave much thought to using it for anything else.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my green laser pointer as a finder for my telescope. I don't even mount it...just roughly hold it aligned with the main tube and point it at whatever I'm trying to look at.

nobbybonez

Newly Enlightened
i use a 50mw green laser with a beam collimator as a weapon light. the laser sits above the scope and can be used to range find when focussed to a dot. when the beam is spread to approx 1.5deg, looking through the scope you see just the area lit by the laser. the effect is very night vision like, though the beam is visible, so not a covert solution. i'm now using an 200 mw 808nm IR laser with a homebrew NV rig. gives illumination to around 300 yards.

green laser is also very good for chasing chickens out of the garden....

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
Use a green laser pointer to "point" out/locate wildlife when I go to the swamps at night.

I'm gonna have to side with subwoofer on this one.
If that beam you are using is concentrated enough to blind a human, it's more than enough to blind nocturnal animals.

I'm just saying... that if I am the person using a hunting rifle to kill an animal I'm spotting with a laser, I would prefer
to leave that animal dead as well as blinded, rather than blinded for life and still alive... due to the laser I was using so stupidly.

Not trying to get P.E.T.A. extremist on you or anything, I just think you should think of lasers and the consequences of using them.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i build these 4 lanterns with lasers, green and blue, from 10mw to 30mw, so far i have not found practical use for them, but they can be fan.

jjjhhh-1.jpg

cccpull

Enlightened
I'm gonna have to side with subwoofer on this one.
If that beam you are using is concentrated enough to blind a human, it's more than enough to blind nocturnal animals.

I'm just saying... that if I am the person using a hunting rifle to kill an animal I'm spotting with a laser, I would prefer
to leave that animal dead as well as blinded, rather than blinded for life and still alive... due to the laser I was using so stupidly.

Not trying to get P.E.T.A. extremist on you or anything, I just think you should think of lasers and the consequences of using them.

Okay. Let me clarify for the bleeding hearts. The alligators are spotted before being killed. Feel better?:shakehead

susanawalkly

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to buy a very powerful red laser. But i am not sure whether a 1000mW portable red laser is the most powerful one. We need this kind of portable laser in optical experiment.

t_warne

Newly Enlightened
I also find a powerful 445 useful in aquarium care. For me it is population control of snails and spot treating black beard algae in my fresh water planted tank. It is way faster than squashing the snails by hand or treating the BBA with a syringe of Excell or H2O2. Plus, I don't have to get my hands wet or worry about overdosing my precious plants or critters with chemicals.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
I also find a powerful 445 useful in aquarium care. For me it is population control of snails and spot treating black beard algae in my fresh water planted tank. It is way faster than squashing the snails by hand or treating the BBA with a syringe of Excell or H2O2. Plus, I don't have to get my hands wet or worry about overdosing my precious plants or critters with chemicals.

You wear safety goggles when you do that?

Edwina

Newly Enlightened
I'm using is a laser pens.Low-power visible laser allows users to maximize the advantages of body language in the teaching, demonstration, so that teaching, lectures more lively, more perfect, completely solve the inconvenience of using the mouse in the classroom and meeting, but also helpamateur astronomers identify stars,

Last edited:

jklasers

Newly Enlightened
Re: Practical uses for handheld lasers

Lasers are practically use in dentistry, laser shows, for caner treatment, for welding,for digging, as scientific uses, in military arms and weapons, for x-ray, for treating brown and red spots on skin, laser radiations uses in making powerful big weapons for air force, and may be in many more departments of our country. Laser is making the revolution in this advanced world in every field..

jklasers

Newly Enlightened
It's the stuff of fiction. A hand held laser weapon with the Star Trek moniker "PHaSER," developed by the Air Force as a non-lethal weapon capable of being used on the battlefield or on the mean streets of any major city.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you walk into a free roam animal shelter with 100 bored cats, and you have a 40mw greenie in your pocket, you are 'god', trust me :)

Pointoflight

Newly Enlightened
Want to use one to treat toenail fungus....but don't know how powerful (mw) I should use.