Pressure Pot to Test DIVE LIGHTS!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the use of a reg and LP inflater.
You can always adjust the IP up a little for more pressure.

Hallmcc

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would share mine, and yes it is regulated.
pressurepotrear.jpg
pressurepotfront.jpg

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you DIY that? Looks like a professional/commercial build. Anyway, way nicer than mine.:sick2: (looking for "green with envy" but couldn't find it).

D

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I like the latching system of your. On mine I have to tighten and loosen 6 bolts every time.... Not bad but gets tideous.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
350xfire, if you are near Dallas, I have something you can try (if you change your port to the lid). It is a volume controller that will go up to 3000psi. No additional pressure generation is required (no compressors or compressed gases are needed). It works by displacing volume with a high and low pressure piston system. I think it would be fun to play with..

Here is a link:
http://www.ashcroft.com/products/test_instruments/hand/Type-AVC-3000.cfm

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
350xfire, if you are near Dallas, I have something you can try (if you change your port to the lid). It is a volume controller that will go up to 3000psi. No additional pressure generation is required (no compressors or compressed gases are needed). It works by displacing volume with a high and low pressure piston system. I think it would be fun to play with..

Here is a link:

Very nice. It's meant to be used dry, though, and I think it needs to be filled with water in order to get sufficient displacement to build pressure in the tank. I end up displacing a few cu inches of water getting my tank to 250 psi. Any idea how it would hold up wet?

Hallmcc

Newly Enlightened
Did you DIY that? Looks like a professional/commercial build. Anyway, way nicer than mine.:sick2: (looking for "green with envy" but couldn't find it).

D

No, I did not build this one. I have built two since running into this one. I believe Global sells one that looks like it. I have a feeling that the original owner of the shop I run either knew the inventor or was involved with it. He seemed to know everybody and opened the place in 1959. there ae no stampings or tags on it, and the welds are all hand done. The commercial units sold today have a few changes but that could be just normal improvements.

The Lid is really simple to make by the way.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Very nice. It's meant to be used dry, though, and I think it needs to be filled with water in order to get sufficient displacement to build pressure in the tank. I end up displacing a few cu inches of water getting my tank to 250 psi. Any idea how it would hold up wet?

I wouldn't use it wet. By allowing fluids in the piston area, it would become contaminated over time. This could cause a loss of integrity to the seals. Your point of not using it wet is why I stated he would have to move his pressure port to the lid. By doing that, the tank could be filled nearly completely. Having the volume controller on top would keep it dry.

I got it for my test gauge calibration bench manifold, but never installed it. My choice of a high precision/high pressure regulator allowed the fine adjustments I though I would need the volume controller to accomplish. I've had it next to the test bench for years, we decommissioned that bench last year.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a link:

Interesting device... What do you do with it? I live about 30 minutes north of Dallas right between Denton and Mckinnley in a small town called Little Elm. Never mind just saw the previous post... I can definitely put a threaded holw on the lid.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Interesting device... What do you do with it? I live about 30 minutes north of Dallas right between Denton and Mckinnley in a small town called Little Elm. Never mind just saw the previous post... I can definitely put a threaded holw on the lid.

I'll be back to the office on Friday, let me see what I can put together. I have a cool idea, but I have to see which components I have.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I put something together for you, but you have exceeded your private message allowance. You need to delete some so you can get more. PM me with you email address and shoot you pics of what I made so you can see if it's something that will work for you.

FEtochini

Newly Enlightened
don't waste your time to make this with a steel bottle it is not enough thick to be able to install bolts

bowzer

Newly Enlightened
Hi, My first post here. Perhaps I can add my experience to the pressure pot and lens thickness questions. I have made a pressure pot out of an old Walter Kiddie AL80 (6351 alloy) tank. The top is 3/4 Plexiglass (perspex for those on the other side of the pond)
DVD-DNG-008-304.jpg

This shot was taken while testing a light I just built. My shop compressor is maxed out and the equivalent depth is 235 feet (70 meters.) the lens is a M/C boro silicate 1/8 inch (3.175 mm) 2"/50 mm diameter. It held without any problems. For those of you considering using an Otterbox for a battery case, don' go too deep as I tested an Otterbox 9000 to failure. Signs of distress at 160 feet. complete failure at 100 PSI. Certainly not bad for what it is, but for me, not strong enough to risk my light.

The light I did build used 14 NiMH C cells and a light Geni PC board, Piezo switch. This drives a 35 watt MR16 in an adapted maglight head. Not as small as a Lithium powerpack, but fairly bright non the less. I built two of them (one for my wife) This seacon I am going to swaop out the bulbs for wide angle ones and try them on my video camera. Just ordered the parts to make the mounts.
DVD-DNG-014--78.jpg

this is a view of the top
DVD-DNG-014--86.jpg

and here is a comparison of the light with a 35 watt bulb (over driven to 16 volts) with a standard 50 watt MR16 driven at 12 volts.
DVD-DNG-008-655.jpg

The photo just doesn't convey just how much brighter it is,, and nice andwhite.

Doc Ed

Newly Enlightened
My quick and dirty pressure pot was fabricated from a water filtration canister (some can handle up to 120 PSI) , a QD fitting and a gauge. Pressurized using a small tank, I call it my desk-top pressure pot.

Desktoppressurepot.jpg

avius

Newly Enlightened
New to this and this is all fantastic and radical, I love that you all are using ingenuity and self reliance to create the toys that are way overpriced.
Sorry if I missed it, but how do you correlate PSI to depth ? Is there a calculation?
Thanx AV

Racket

Newly Enlightened
New to this and this is all fantastic and radical, I love that you all are using ingenuity and self reliance to create the toys that are way overpriced.
Sorry if I missed it, but how do you correlate PSI to depth ? Is there a calculation?
Thanx AV

100fsw (feet salt water) = 44 psi.