Preview of future Police Car Chases?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It is totally doable today, it was totally doable yesterday, however downside of abuse is far greater than benefits IMO,
Definitely agree with you there. That's just the nature of what takes place in modern-day America, today.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not just America, imagine if scammers/hackers get access, they will shut it off for ransom, "pay us 300 a month or we will shut your car off, and we will do it when you are driving at high rate of speed"

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not just America, imagine of scammers/hackers get access, they will shut it off for ransom, "pay us 300 a month or we will shut your car off, and we will do it when you are driving at high rate of speed"
Yup, I can see that happening.... Won't stop the Government from implementing it though.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Want more details on the kill switch law or don't believe this is happening? Here you go:

Newer cars already have the kill switch and other associated technologies installed as standard hardware. They had to start making cars this way so they had time to be 100% in compliance of the law by 2026. These cars also watch your eyes, count how many times you swerve, and sniff the car air for alcohol to guess if you are driving drunk, and record your conversations in the vehicle. If the car determines you're drunk, it will pull over to the side of the road and leave you stranded.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOt a singe new car on the market today has a kill switch or camera that looks at you. fleet cars have those installed by owner operator, but no private cars have those. We often fix brand new cars involved in accidents, no such things exist today.

DRW

Enlightened
... sniff the car air for alcohol to guess if you are driving drunk, and record your conversations in the vehicle. If the car determines you're drunk, it will pull over to the side of the road and leave you stranded.
Look out there is a black helicopter right behind you!

I guess stranded is better than driving drunk.

I have to throw the BS flag on this. I'm aware of court ordered devices to combat drunk driving but nothing as described in your post.

Do you have any links to support this assertion? Perhaps a CFR if it's a federal law.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cop pulls over a car driven erratically.
Tells the driver to get out and walk the line, the guy fails.
Gives the driver breathalyzer tests, the result is 0.00.
Sniffs his breath, no smell of alcohol, asks the driver,
-I know you are wasted, but no smell, no readings, I will let you go if you tell me how you did it,
-Alcohol enema.
- I will give you 100 bucks if you never tell that to anyone, if our boses find out, they will make us sniff your a$$es.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look out there is a black helicopter right behind you!

I guess stranded is better than driving drunk.

I have to throw the BS flag on this. I'm aware of court ordered devices to combat drunk driving but nothing as described in your post.

Do you have any links to support this assertion? Perhaps a CFR if it's a federal law.
Would hearing it directly from a member of Congress who voted against it carry any more weight with you?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT will create huge black market industry of disabling/tricking these functions. same way there is for mileage rollback, ecu reprogramming... etc, but times 1000. used cars with no such functions will triple in price.
Or maybe, just maybe to prevent the whole thing, we need to think who we vote for.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A cop pulls over a car driven erratically.
Tells the driver to get out and walk the line, the guy fails.
Gives the driver breathalyzer tests, the result is 0.00.
Sniffs his breath, no smell of alcohol, asks the driver,
-I know you are wasted, but no smell, no readings, I will let you go if you tell me how you did it,
-Alcohol enema.
- I will give you 100 bucks if you never tell that to anyone, if our boses find out, they will make us sniff your a$$es.
No worries. Those are only done by the most hard-core drunks who refuse to get help, and quite frankly would be better off exiting this world. Quite a bit of the time, they end up dying from Alcohol poisoning after doing that. For the average drunk, this is a non-issue for officers to be concerned about.

DRW

Enlightened
Would hearing it directly from a member of Congress who voted against it carry any more weight with you?

They are talking about a bill in the clip, it's not law (in that context). A lot of really stupid stuff get's into bills. I'm ashamed to be a Michigan resident after hearing that old ladies testimony.

I have conducted thousands of blood alcohol tests. There isn't a way that the environment can be sampled to determine an individual's blood alcohol level.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are talking about a bill in the clip, it's not law (in that context). A lot of really stupid stuff get's into bills. I'm ashamed to be a Michigan resident after hearing that old ladies testimony.

I have conducted thousands of blood alcohol tests. There isn't a way that the environment can be sampled to determine an individual's blood alcohol level.
Listen again. The stupid kill switch was passed into law in 2021. The bill talked about was to defund that law. That bill to defund the kill switch was not passed. The kill switch law still takes effect in 2026 and to be compliant by then, some manufacturers are starting to voluntarily comply with the law now.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which manufacturers are those? what vehicles sold today have that tech?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Listen again. The stupid kill switch was passed into law in 2021. The bill talked about was to defund that law. That bill to defund the kill switch was not passed. The kill switch law still takes effect in 2026 and to be compliant by then, some manufacturers are starting to voluntarily comply with the law now.
I saw something about adding technology that would detect if the driver had been drinking and not be able to start the car. I dont know what news article posted it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubts gvmnt will use it for much more than that, whatever they say they will not do, is exactly what they will do.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's just put it to rest that this 2026 law exists. I saved everyone here thousands of pages of reading. HR3684 (117th Congress) Section 24220:
24220.Advanced impaired driving technology (a)Findings Congress finds that— (1)alcohol-impaired driving fatalities represent approximately 1/3 of all highway fatalities in the United States each year; (2)in 2019, there were 10,142 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities in the United States involving drivers with a blood alcohol concentration level of .08 or higher, and 68 percent of the crashes that resulted in those fatalities involved a driver with a blood alcohol concentration level of .15 or higher; (3)the estimated economic cost for alcohol-impaired driving in 2010 was $44,000,000,000; (4)according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology can prevent more than 9,400 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities annually; and (5)to ensure the prevention of alcohol-impaired driving fatalities, advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology must be standard equipment in all new passenger motor vehicles. (b)Definitions In this section: (1)Advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology The term advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology means a system that— (A)can— (i)passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired; and (ii)prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected; (B)can— (i)passively and accurately detect whether the blood alcohol concentration of a driver of a motor vehicle is equal to or greater than the blood alcohol concentration described in section 163(a) of title 23, United States Code; and (ii)prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if a blood alcohol concentration above the legal limit is detected; or (C)is a combination of systems described in subparagraphs (A) and (B). (2)New The term new, with respect to a passenger motor vehicle, means that the passenger motor vehicle— (A)is a new vehicle (as defined in section 37.3 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations (or a successor regulation)); and (B)has not been purchased for purposes other than resale. (3)Passenger motor vehicle The term passenger motor vehicle has the meaning given the term in section 32101 of title 49, United States Code. (4)Secretary The term Secretary means the Secretary of Transportation, acting through the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. (c)Advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology safety standard Subject to subsection (e) and not later than 3 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule prescribing a Federal motor vehicle safety standard under section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, that requires passenger motor vehicles manufactured after the effective date of that standard to be equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology. (d)Requirement To allow sufficient time for manufacturer compliance, the compliance date of the rule issued under subsection (c) shall be not earlier than 2 years and not more than 3 years after the date on which that rule is issued. (e)Timing If the Secretary determines that the Federal motor vehicle safety standard required under subsection (c) cannot meet the requirements and considerations described in subsections (a) and (b) of section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, by the applicable date, the Secretary— (1)may extend the time period to such date as the Secretary determines to be necessary, but not later than the date that is 3 years after the date described in subsection (c); (2)shall, not later than the date described in subsection (c) and not less frequently than annually thereafter until the date on which the rule under that subsection is issued, submit to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives a report describing, as of the date of submission of the report— (A)the reasons for not prescribing a Federal motor vehicle safety standard under section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, that requires advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology in all new passenger motor vehicles; (B)the deployment of advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology in vehicles; (C)any information relating to the ability of vehicle manufacturers to include advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology in new passenger motor vehicles; and (D)an anticipated timeline for prescribing the Federal motor vehicle safety standard described in subsection (c); and (3)if the Federal motor vehicle safety standard required by subsection (c) has not been finalized by the date that is 10 years after the date of enactment of this Act, shall submit to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representative a report describing— (A)the reasons why the Federal motor vehicle safety standard has not been finalized; (B)the barriers to finalizing the Federal motor vehicle safety standard; and (C)recommendations to Congress to facilitate the Federal motor vehicle safety standard.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, that's just how it copied from the website with the full bill. Took a lot of scrolling to find that section. Focus on

(b)Definitions in this section:
(1)Advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology
The term advanced drunk and impaired driving system technology means a system that
((A)can- (i)passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired,
and (ii)prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected;
(B)can- passively and accurately detect whether the blood alcohol concentration of a driver of a motor vehicle is equal to or greater than the blood alcohol concentration described in section 163 (a) of title 23, United States Code;
and (ii)prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if a blood alcohol concentration above the legal limit is detected; or
(C) is a combination of systems described in subparagraphs (A) and (B).

Translation:
(A)(i)They are going to point a camera at your eyes to watch that you aren't dosing off and record your conversations to listen for signs of slurred speech.
(ii)Car won't start if you're drunk. If you get drunk while driving, it will leave you stranded, a.k.a. kill switch.
(B)(i)They are going to put a passive alcohol sniffer in your car so if you or anyone in your car drinks anytime during the duration of your travel, the car can pull you over to the side of the road and shut off leaving you stranded (don't volunteer to be a designated driver in these cars).
(i)Kill switch kicks in if your blood alcohol concentration is determined above the legal limit.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
A better question would be "Why are the European Union and the USA (and others) in lockstep in passing this kind of legislation?"

The US sells very few cars to Europe so why would they care what legislation the EU has passed?

Is this legislation about saving lives or about control?

I have lived long enough that when legislation is passed to address question "A", I know that within years that very same legislation will be applied to questions B, C, D etc.

Latest posts