Princeton Tec Byte

carrot

Flashaholic
Coooool... If it's any good I'd like it to replace my E+Lite which is perfect except for the usage of coin cell batteries.

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
seems to me like they could have done it better going with a single AA instead. Single AA will have more total power, and weigh the same as 2AAA.
Only 30 lumens?
On the other hand, for $20 seems like a good backup to whatever your main headlamp is, if your main is 3AAA

The Byte is 15%-18% smaller than other Princeton Tec headlamps. The Byte features 1 maxbright white LED and 1 ultrabright red LED, and has a high and low mode. The Byte runs on 2 AAA batteries (included). Water Resistant. Push button on/off/high/low/red. Power: 30 Lumens, Lamp: 1 White LED, 1 Red LED, Burn Time: 100-360 Hours, Batteries: 2 AAA Alkaline.

tritan

Newly Enlightened
anybody buy one of these yet? Any reviews? Looking for an ultralight headlamp for backpacking to replace a micro photon light.

readyme

Newly Enlightened
seems to me like they could have done it better going with a single AA instead. Single AA will have more total power, and weigh the same as 2AAA.
Only 30 lumens?
On the other hand, for $20 seems like a good backup to whatever your main headlamp is, if your main is 3AAA.

I agree.
I am looking for a good compact AA light....this was almost it... damn AAA.

bnemmie

Enlightened
Coooool... If it's any good I'd like it to replace my E+Lite which is perfect except for the usage of coin cell batteries.

+1

Same here. I must have 3 or 4 of the E+Lites laying around my truck or EDC bag. And for as much as I love them....the coins just dont do it for me.

tritan

Newly Enlightened
+1

Same here. I must have 3 or 4 of the E+Lites laying around my truck or EDC bag. And for as much as I love them....the coins just dont do it for me.

This is one of the reasons This lite appeals to me. I just about walked out with a E-lite tonight but didn't want to hassle with coin batteries. I want a lightweight AA or AAA headlamp with a red lite for reading.

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
I just picked on of these up, at twenty bucks I couldn't resist. Initial impressions; small, lightweight, not very bright. Pros; it uses two aaa's, lithiums come in 4 packs not six. It starts in red-low-high, and cycles through all modes to off. I'll post more thoughts after dark. It may not replace my e-lite as a back up, but it will definitely make a great light for the kid (four year old).

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
At one of the local outdoor stores. It's lithium compatible too, another plus.

paulr

Flashaholic
If it's an E-lite competitor I'd rather they used 1aaa. There are several nice small 1aa headlamps around if that's what you want.

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't call it an e-lite competitor. It is a nice lightweight headlamp though. I took it outside and did some comparisons. The red is really low, much lower than the e-lite's red led. On low with the main led it's brighter than the e-lite on high and dimmer than a preon2 neutral's medium. On high it's brighter than the preon2 neutral medium. It does have a much tighter beam than the preon does with lots of artifacts when white wall hunting (deep narrow smooth reflector). Nothing too bad, tints decent. Nice mount, nice strap, probably a good running light. Ps just wanted to add it has a very usable spill.

Last edited:

dla

Newly Enlightened
I would say that this is a replacement for, and improvement over, the Streamlight Enduro (originally sold at Target as RiverRock). The Enduro was a pretty good regulated light in its day, but the manufacturer decided not to improve it with new LED technology.

I'm going to pick one of these PT Byte lights up and play with it. The 2xAAA regulated lights are just right for most stuff. I'm assuming it is regulated, since folks mentioned that it is lithium friendly.

Last edited:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Just realized that Mountain Equipment Co-Op (mec.ca) is carrying this headlamp and at only $19.50 CAD.

Just realized that it "not stocked" in my store location, oh well. If I want it I may have to order it in.

Last edited:

dla

Newly Enlightened
Just bought one. Great little light. Nice white light - huge improvement over the PT Quad's blue tint. Perfect for BP'ing, hiking, etc. where you don't need a personal death ray. Just the right amount of spill. I like that wimpy red light - just about perfect for reading.

I still don't know if it is regulated, but I like feeding it only two AAA's at a time. Only minor complaint: can't see any battery polarity markings in the case - not a big deal if you remember what the difference in contact length means.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
For those who have it, can you tell what kind of LED it has? Rebel maybe? Does it use an optic or reflector? Does it look moddable like the EOS? For $20, it might make a good mod candidate. Too bad my local MEC doesn't have stock either.

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
I just popped mine open. Rebel, looks surface mounted to the board. No modding:shakehead. No it's not regulated, it has the decreasing beam graph in the instructions. If it were regulated they would be sure to use the word regulated a bunch when marketing it I'm sure.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Oh snap. I thought it might be regulated and have a rebel on a star, but regulation costs money. And I don't think I can solder a rebel emitter, those things are tiny. Thanks for popping one open to check iqwozpoom!

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I just popped mine open. Rebel, looks surface mounted to the board. No modding:shakehead. No it's not regulated, it has the decreasing beam graph in the instructions. If it were regulated they would be sure to use the word regulated a bunch when marketing it I'm sure.

Does it have any kind of heatsinking, or does it just not get very hot?

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
So how's the UI on this light? do you have a single button and click through modes like the EOS? What modes does it have? Does it use PWM?

We need a review.... :)

--Matt