Princeton Tec Corona Inquiry

GreySave

Enlightened
I saw that thread. Too bad it started AFTER we submitted the grant information.....

:oops:

Durability is a concern and those comments probably would have ruled the Apex out. Then again, our lights will not see any use during training as night training is a rarity due to the number of safety personnel that would are required. Thus these lights will most likely only be used on actual night activations. Since we are 95% preparation and 5% activation type of organization with only 1-3 activations anticipated per year, the lights should last some time and they are of course warranted by the manufacturer.

On the budget question that Sore Eyez commented on.....We really are quite fortunate. Thus far the powers that control the grants have been very good to us, so we have been able to almost completely equip (assuming this grant is fully approved) and train a response team in less than a year. That's darn good considering how slowly government agencies can work. When we request equipment we try to select equipment that will allow us to get the job done safely and be reasonably durable without wasting taxpayer dollars. Hence the use of Streamlight flashlights instead of something like SureFires. So I really do not mind compromising on the number ordered or the type of light ordered at this time. It is simply a part of the game.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
its a case of bad timing i guess. warranty issues aside, i would be really disappointed if my lights fail me when its needed.

would the relevant government agencies have a database of past purchases? a call to long running SAR teams could prove useful for next/future recommendations for any equipment. :thumbsup: this could save money too.

as for current lights i wonder if there is any heat resistant silicone applied anywhere to reduce impacts that could be added to minimise its weakness (the hinges)? :shrug:

GreySave

Enlightened
<< its a case of bad timing i guess. warranty issues aside, i would be really disappointed if my lights fail me when its needed. >>

We will always work as pairs, so even if gear that one of us is carrying should fail no one would ever be alone.

<< would the relevant government agencies have a database of past purchases? a call to long running SAR teams could prove useful for next/future recommendations for any equipment.Woulnt agencies have a database of past purchases? a call to long running SAR teams could prove useful for next/future recommendations for any equipment. >>

I suspect that they would have a database for the purchases that other Teams working for the same controlling parent organization have made. Trying to access that information would likely be a challenge given the way that our government functions. Plus, since these teams are all volunteer based, the selections that they made may or may not have been based upon any real selection process. There are no official standards for most of our equipment. There may be in time, but right now the concept is very new since it wsas established by law in the Pet Act of 2006 following Hurricane Katrina. I'd like to think that with all of your help we are setting the standards.

While we may perform SAR as it applies to animals, that would not be our primary function. Our primary function is sheltering. When I started looking at our personal lighting requirements I had very specific needs in mind. This included total light output, beam style, redundancy, decent battery life, durability, and a decent warranty so that we did not have to replace gear that fails under normal use.

Redundancy means that the Team member should always have light as the flashlights are hybrids and the headlamps have multiple light sources that are even on their own switches if I read correctly. Plus, anyone with a headlamp will also always have a flashlight as well. The primary beam style I wanted was decent flood. Both the headlamps and Twin Tasks should deliver that with throw from the second light source as a bonus. Battery life on both is decent provided the operator uses the correct light source and power level. They will be trained on that. Less is more unless you NEED full output.

I guess what I am trying to say in my own rambling way is that I saw specific needs that I wanted to fill for our Team to work safely and effectively. While obtaining information from other human SAR teams would be great, I think we were able to obtain everything except "real world experience" from those at CPF. And in fact we did receive some real world experience from CPF as well. I am quite comfortable with the items we selected.

Mark620

Enlightened
In true darkness the apex (outside NO light pollution) only star light through the canopy, the 4 LEDs on low is very bright to night adjusted eyes.

Last edited:

Latest posts