Programming the SPY007 XM-L

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got my SPY yesterday.

I wanted to hate it. I have always hated SPYs. They have always been the 'you will never own one' flashlight for me. It is a very effective coping strategy for me to hate what I cannot have. I apply this often to watches, for example. There is NO watch I want and can also afford except the one I already own. And while Ti lights can be expensive, watches make our toys look silly cheap. So I hate watches and I hated SPY flashlights.

But after parting with a couple pieces of Ti in trade, I have a SPY 007 XML. I had planned to hold it and hate it.

But I cannot put it down. And I cannot imagine I will not eventually have a Tri V.

The switch, the UI, the host...it exceeds all preconceived notions of what I thought I loved in a flashlight. Seriously, there is a SPY with three emitters?? While I have always known this (seen plenty of pictures of the Tri V), now that I have held a SPY in my hands...it is actually harder to believe it exists. Argh...the desire...the sickening need for a Tri V is now very tangible.

I find the programming of the light to be super-intuitive. I had all four banks factory reset, then reprogrammed and the lock activated in less than 15 minutes. While I understand why the new lock might be easier to use at first, I find three quick clicks back and forth easier enough...if not also even safer from little observant boys (of which I have two). Programming is just soooo nice.

I guess this is what happens when you put about 400 good ideas/concepts into a small Ti container?

The idea that one guy made this come from concept to reality blows me away. I am starting to understand what all the fuss is about.

***in the voice of HAL 9000***

"Oh my god, Dave. What have you done to me?"

obi

Zandar

Enlightened
Congrats and welcome to the club!. Yes, you are definitely afflicted with the sickness that we all have. I hate my "SPY" as well, and that's why I carry it with me every day. Now you just "need" a holster to carry it around. Good luck Zandar

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I have an XML (originally, so a 3A max).

I am using the P6 after a PU4 to program in some really low lows.

If I start a sequence at position 1 with a low low, I see a brief flash before the light gets to the low low. Is this normal?

I have the feeling it is an artifact of getting these low low currents to drive the LED at all. Maybe it needs a higher initial current to get started, similar to an incandescent filament?

Anyway, how cool is it to have log scaling brightness levels x 6 x 4?!!

obi

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . .
If I start a sequence at position 1 with a low low, I see a brief flash before the light gets to the low low. Is this normal? . . . obi
Yes, that is normal. It all comes down to programming choices.

I prefer the ultra quick startup mode of the converter over a waiting for it to stabilize method. This way the light is super responsive to what ever switch input you select, even on and off.

Cheers
Dave

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that clarification, Dave.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond here.

Wonderful light. The best part from my perspective is having known and read all about SPY's and the Tri-V for years, I grossly overestimated their size. For whatever reason, I did not expect them to be quite so perfectly small. This little gadget has years of giggles inside for me. I am twelve years old again.

Thanks for that, Dave.

obi

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone since modded their XML to and XML2?

Were you satisfied with the increase in output...or was it less obvious that you expected? 20% increase in theory should be noticeable. I would guess the extra 300mA we would be missing (as opposed to 3300mA on the new XML2) with our inferior XML converter board would be negligible to our eyes.

I understand the lock function and efficiency, as well as stability in the lower current ranged has been improved as well...but these electronic gains are probably only noticeable when you use measuring device of one sort or another.

I am planning to have my XML modded to an XML2 if it can be arranged, so I was just wondering if anyone had already done it.

obi

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think SOYCD has done that swap and that light was sold a while ago. Not 100% sure if I remembered correctly though

Latest posts