Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
No problems, they are great shots...and so are the ones of the Spy! I have heard of the process (HDR), but not used it my self.

I only have a Nikon D40, any a couple of lenses. I use to be into landscapes / seascapes etc. I found them easier to shoot, macro etc is more involved I find.
I want to 'buckle' down and learn more...and all my new flashlights give me something to photograph at hand :)

I have a 18-50 lens, but it always says it is too dark, when I use common settings suggested in a few threads I have read in here before. I think I need to try and take some at day time instead.

But I though if I took a longer shot (to put it crudley), it would simply gather more light and show up?
Could you suggest some common settings for macro shots (exposure, aperture etc)?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of great tips over in the The Dark Room. And out of all the lenses I have, that little Sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 is the one I use most. I don't want to take the thread TOO far off topic, but it's worth noting that the photos of the Alpha were done OUTSIDE in daylight and holding the camera free hand. Even at 8FPS you must hold very still to capture 3 images without moving.

The Spy was shot indoors. ISO was set at 1600, and I used a combination of a Canon EZ530 (I think) flash bouncing off of piece of paper taped overhead, and used a Zebralight H502d for supplemental lighting. When no extra lighting is used, I put the camera on a tripod and trip the shutter with a remote release.

It's really hard to recommend any settings - there are so many variables. You just have to play with it - makes us appreciate digital photography since we can shoot all we want until we get it the way we want it - with no waste!

And yes, long exposures will capture that light! One technique that is often discussed in the Dark Room is "light painting" - put your subject in a totally dark environment, set your camera on a tripod with a long exposure (1 to 4 seconds - you really have to experiment), and while the shutter is open 'paint' the subject with your chosen light. You can get some really cool effects, or simply provide totally even lighting in the photo by moving the light source at all angles to ensure no shadows are 'seen' by the camera.

Now, to get back on topic, I can't wait to see some of your new shots of the Alpha with your D40!

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
There are a lot of great tips over in the The Dark Room. And out of all the lenses I have, that little Sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 is the one I use most. I don't want to take the thread TOO far off topic, but it's worth noting that the photos of the Alpha were done OUTSIDE in daylight and holding the camera free hand. Even at 8FPS you must hold very still to capture 3 images without moving.

The Spy was shot indoors. ISO was set at 1600, and I used a combination of a Canon EZ530 (I think) flash bouncing off of piece of paper taped overhead, and used a Zebralight H502d for supplemental lighting. When no extra lighting is used, I put the camera on a tripod and trip the shutter with a remote release.

It's really hard to recommend any settings - there are so many variables. You just have to play with it - makes us appreciate digital photography since we can shoot all we want until we get it the way we want it - with no waste!

And yes, long exposures will capture that light! One technique that is often discussed in the Dark Room is "light painting" - put your subject in a totally dark environment, set your camera on a tripod with a long exposure (1 to 4 seconds - you really have to experiment), and while the shutter is open 'paint' the subject with your chosen light. You can get some really cool effects, or simply provide totally even lighting in the photo by moving the light source at all angles to ensure no shadows are 'seen' by the camera.

Now, to get back on topic, I can't wait to see some of your new shots of the Alpha with your D40!

I got some of the settings I tried from the dark room :)

I just need to experiment as you say. I might try using one of my other flashlights to help while indoors.

My new V10R Ti+ should arrive today...so I am hoping to take some shots of the shinny Alpha next to the shinny Ti+ :party:

Thanks for the advice...I am going to have another look through the dark room. The Alpha deserves top notch photos to make it look its best!

Raze

Enlightened
Awesome guys! I noticed that apart from Ready Mades, Jason has sold off all of his lights! Wish that the proud owners could share their Alphas here.

I can't wait to see Jason's Oct batch of lights. I am looking forward to snag my second Alpha.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Is that an Alpha ICE? It looks awesome!

I look forward to your review, sounds interesting!

I think I want a bespoke one next :thinking:

scout24

Flashaholic
Okay, some very quick Alpha Ready-made pictures...

The business end: 4500k MC-E.
P1020128.jpg

The other business end.

P1020129.jpg

Groovy, man...

P1020130.jpg

Head, with Prothemeus stamp, detail of different machining.

P1020131.jpg

Body/tailcap/clip junction, with clip profile. BEEFY...

P1020132.jpg

Broad daylight here in NY, overhead lights on, light coming in through west-facing window on left in pic. Light maybe 4 feet from wall, on high, camera compensating for ambient light. Brighter in person, definitely every bit of 400+ lumens. SWEET... :) Jason should have quite a list when he gets back, these are solid, awesome lights...

P1020137.jpg

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropped my ready made on the flight line today and proceeded to trip over it. got some battle scars now. Funny thing is, its the only flashlight i own that I'm not upset about getting dinged up. Interesting considering its the only "custom"i own.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/dj_acoustica/4bc1272d.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/dj_acoustica/a39b01a3.jpg

-Alex

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charater marks is what they are :)

Dropped my ready made on the flight line today and proceeded to trip over it. got some battle scars now. Funny thing is, its the only flashlight i own that I'm not upset about getting dinged up. Interesting considering its the only "custom"i own.

320bb9fb-f31e-a2d3.jpg

320bb9fb-f3b1-b7f5.jpg

-Alex

gobadgrs

Newly Enlightened
Your alpha light looks pretty sweet! Any short videos or pics of how effective it is at night?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick shot of my Alpha :

YLqJ6.jpg

Inside the working end :

5ofup.jpg

My nicest aluminium light for sure! :wave:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing!

Is that blue GITD around the emitter?

Yep, blue GITD...

I was getting tired of the usual green and a friend gifted me some blue and aqua tape and I love it!

Each light, which has some space between the emitter and the base of the reflector should have some GITD applied. Most modern emitters like XPG & XML offer this space.

My Alpha is all blue now as I got a blue cap from Jason as well. Unfortunately, I applied the ice-blue/red trit scheme before I knew that it would be an all blue light, I'd have put ice-blue only trits in the slots. Trits can be removed, but it is a hazardous operation, for the trits themselves and on an aluminum light without much doubt for the slot as well. The red touch is not that bad though... :cool:

apache blue

Newly Enlightened
Yep, blue GITD...

I was getting tired of the usual green and a friend gifted me some blue and aqua tape and I love it!

Each light, which has some space between the emitter and the base of the reflector should have some GITD applied. Most modern emitters like XPG & XML offer this space.

My Alpha is all blue now as I got a blue cap from Jason as well. Unfortunately, I applied the ice-blue/red trit scheme before I knew that it would be an all blue light, I'd have put ice-blue only trits in the slots. Trits can be removed, but it is a hazardous operation, for the trits themselves and on an aluminum light without much doubt for the slot as well. The red touch is not that bad though... :cool:

Forgive my ignorance but how do you get that blue gitd effect around the emitter? It looks awesome