Protected rcr123 in the 123 fenix L1T body?

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know of a proteced rcr123 battery that fit's in the cr123 fenix l1t body? I've tried 3 now, and none fit. :( So I'm using unprotected ones for now.

Also, I don't mind if it's 3v or 3.7, but I'd prefer 3.7 as I won't need yet another charger then. :)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)

:grin2:..... Hi Mike ,

Have you tried the ones sold by "AW" and "DAE"

They are the smallest diameter's I know of and have smooth wrapers (3.6v PRO-tected)

BatteryStation's 3.6 pro have too many wrinkles in the wrapper (increasing diameter)

:)..Regards ................. TMG/:grin2:

Kippers

Newly Enlightened
Mike,

I am using a Tenergy Protected 3.0V 900mah with the outside wrapper removed. Under the outer wrapper is a clear wrapper holding the batter, protection circuit, and that metal strip together. It is a tight fit and I have nudge it in the last little way, but it works. I have only stripped down one of my cells, but I am assuming that the others would also fit. I got them from battery-junction along with a Tenergy charger for 3.0V li-ion.

Kippers :candle:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):grin2::)

:naughty:.....Thanks Kippers .. for providing that info. ... I'm sure MikeHunt will appreciate it , as do I.

Surely someone has "AW" & "DAE" PRO-tected rechargeables and also has this 123 Fenix conversion body .

If only they would share some information to help us fellow CPF'ers .

:help:................ Please

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man there are so many of these threads. For the last time Protected RCR123s will NOT fit. Unless they are moddified.

I have AWs RCR123s, all I did was strip the wrapper off and tape all the way around to prevent a short and it fits. You could be even thinner by using nail polish to paint it instead of tape.

We should get a freaking sticky going in the LED section or Battery section.

bitslammer

Enlightened
tebore said:
Man there are so many of these threads. For the last time Protected RCR123s will NOT fit. Unless they are moddified.

I have AWs RCR123s, all I did was strip the wrapper off and tape all the way around to prevent a short and it fits. You could be even thinner by using nail polish to paint it instead of tape.

We should get a freaking sticky going in the LED section or Battery section.

LOL it will be the last time until another new Fenix customer pops up. even if you use the search feature it's a 50/50 chance you will be able to find those threads.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
Hey Mike :) if you already have rcr123 it beats me why you feel the need to lay out cash and cause yourself problems to buy protected ones, ...
my unprotected rcr123 work fine (as well), charge em up, stick em in, run it till its dull, then re-charge em !!..... where`s the problem ??

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
... But how many threads can there be on this exact question ?????

How long has the single CR123 adapter tube been available for the LxT/L2S/L2P Fenix's . (all but the L1S)

I only saw these avail. thru 4sevens and the Fenix store just in the last few weeks .

I have only seen posts concerning thread matching problems .......... not so much about what batt's fit .

But then ..... Maybe I missed something ... It's a big forum !

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
Hey Mike :) if you already have rcr123 it beats me why you feel the need to lay out cash and cause yourself problems to buy protected ones, ...
my unprotected rcr123 work fine (as well), charge em up, stick em in, run it till its dull, then re-charge em !!..... where`s the problem ??

The problem is the Fenix driver can drain the RCR123 to the point of damage to the battery and killing the battery causing the battery to vent (with flames).

The search is terrible, which is why we need a sticky.

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
I did try seaching, but only found a few threads mentioning certain rcr123's don't fit in passing. Maybe a sticky would be a good idea, eg. have a list of batteries and what torches they are compatible with. I know there is a similar problem with the golston rechargable version.

Anyway, my working unprotected cells are the purple 800mah ones from DAE. I also have tried AW's older cells, with the wrapper removed and electrical tape on there to stop shorting, but they didn't fit. I have also tried the battery station ones (from lighthound), and they also do not fit.

I want protected rxr123's, as I don't want to kill any unprotected ones. Even below 3v, the l1t head give out a lot of light so it will be hard to see dimming. I would be happy using unprotecteds if there a way of putting a low-vltage cut-off circuit in somehow... I will have to look into this.

I think Kippers suggestion would be the best. The runtime should be longer with a 3v cell, and 900mah sound like it's one of the better cells. The only thing is battery station charge a small fortune to ship to the UK, but I do know of another source that sells tenergy batteries. :)

Anyone else tried any other brands? It would be nice to use a rechargeable without stipping the wrapper off. :)

Kippers

Newly Enlightened
Mike,

I got my Tenergy batteries from BatteryJunction.com. They have the four Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V battery packaged with the charger or sold separately. They offer a 5% CPF discount - see Greenleds stickey at the beginning of the "Dealer's Corner" for preferred vendors and other available discounts. I got mine when MattK offered additional incentive in a post here and he did say that the 900mah rating is overated and that testing shows 750-825mah? was the actual capacity of the cells.

edit: I don't know what his overseas shipping costs are.

Kippers :candle:

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
.:grin2: ....Dae advertised several months ago that he had a smaller diameter Pro-tected RCR123 ...... thats why I asked about his . I dont have any personally.

I have always found "AW's" Pro-tected RCR123"s ..... smaller in diam - than most.

I want to know all the options .... B-4 ... I buy a 123 extention tube ... not have to worry about it after I have bought .... and maybe wish I hadn't .... cause of battery restrictions/size .

4sevens really should supply some of this type information himself - in the specifications. That would be nice .

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
tebore said:
The problem is the Fenix driver can drain the RCR123 to the point of damage to the battery and killing the battery causing the battery to vent (with flames)
..... often there is nothing more than a glimmer of light left, but never any flames :laughing: :laughing:
... hand up all those that have had flames ................... anybody ???

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

:grin2:.... Please ...lets get back on topic

The question was ................... What PRO-tected RCR123's will fit ???????

Without having to rip off the cover ????

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if these will fit, but milkyspit has suggested trying the MP brand for the narrow SF L1 shown in post #6 in this thread ...
Milky L1 Information Thread

Oh wait, the MP is unprotected! But he does mention 'I've heard reports of at least one brand of protected Li-ion cell fitting'.

nightrider

Enlightened
I got my Tenergy regulated/protected cells to fit. I took my Dremel tool with 60 grit sandpaper and reamed out the inside of tube. It just took a few minutes and you'll need to hold the tube in a rag to avoid burning your hand. The protected RCR123 slides in and out nicely with no problem.

I think this might be safer than peeling the skin off your battery.

With the RCR123 I don't notice as much diff between low and high with the L1T head.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
nightrider said:
I got my Tenergy regulated/protected cells to fit. I took my Dremel tool with 60 grit sandpaper and reamed out the inside of tube. It just took a few minutes and you'll need to hold the tube in a rag to avoid burning your hand. The protected RCR123 slides in and out nicely with no problem.

I think this might be safer than peeling the skin off your battery.

With the RCR123 I don't notice as much diff between low and high with the L1T head.

A word of caution to you and who ever tries this. The area where the threads are, are less than 1mm thick if you remove more material one day when you are switching levels and it's cold enough outside combined with some possible swelling of the o-rings the body will snap at the threads.

Nekomane himself warned that no one should remove any material from the tubes because it gets so thin in certain areas.

Last edited:

nightrider

Enlightened
tebore said:
A word of caution to you and who ever tries this. The area where the threads are, are less than 1mm thick if you remove more material one day when you are switching levels and it's cold enough outside combined with some possible swelling of the o-rings the body will snap at the threads.

Nekomane himself warned that no one should remove any material from the tubes because it gets so thin in certain areas.
I didn't really have to take that much material off, and did it evenly all the way around the inside of the tube. I'm very happy with the results and think that I would have to tighten the head on with a wrench to be able to snap the body off at the threads. A chance I'm willing to take in order to use my protected cells. I'm now much happier with my purchase. Man I'm glad that I don't live somewhere where it gets cold enough to make aluminum brittle :) Yeah Florida!

Sure, anyone making any kind of flashlight mods should know what they are doing and be aware of the possible consequenses.

CR123Sanded.jpg

Last edited:

LowTEC

Enlightened
What's the inner diameter of the R123 tube? AW has some new RCR123 batteries with diameter of 16.6 mm, any chance they will fit?