PT EOS Seoul & Reflector Mod Writeup

coors

Enlightened
I put an XML T5 neutral into the EOS Tactical, but it had some serious focusing issues with the stock optic, which can be overcome with some effort. I haven't messed around with XML again, yet, as I've been so pleased with the neutral K2-TFFC and modified McR27 reflector.

jinya1004

Newly Enlightened
How much of an improvement should I expect from a 70lm model

Do you have anymore more insight on the correct optics I would be using for this?

Thanks

robostudent5000

Enlightened
if you're modding a 70 lm Eos, the stock Rebel optic should be somewhat compatible with the XML. i've noticed that using a larger die emitter with a clear to semi-clear TIR designed for smaller die can result in color variation within the beam. so it wouldn't be totally compatible, but the optic would at least fit, i think. you would have to do a small mod of the optic holder as pictured here, and the resulting beam pattern would be wider, but you should be able to use the Rebel optic.

but unless you want to change of the look of the beam or change the tint, i'd advise against doing the mod. if you use a T6, you'd be going from 70 lm OTF to about 105 lm OTF, and that's not enough to make a big difference. unless you compare side by side, i think you'd have a hard time noticing much of an increase. plus the Rebels in 70 lm Eos are good emitters. they have a nice tint with a decent CRI and have good efficacy at lower currents. i think a lot of the cheaper and easy to procure XML's have low CRI and can have unpleasant tints. unless you can get a really good XML, i think the Rebel is worth keeping.

Last edited:

coors

Enlightened
I can verify some of the things that robo has written. i was very underwhelmed with the XML T5's brighness. I thought that it was just because of the grossly misfocused beam, with the EOS Tactical's stock optic, but that may not be the case at all. I got out the XML T5 neutral 20mm star, hooked it up to a 4.2v power source, with a 51ohm resistor, to replicate the relatively low emitter current out of the EOS (I tested the 70-Lumen rebel EOS at 290ma, on high with fresh batteries), and with the emitter pointed toward the white ceiling, above the dining room table, I observed pretty much the same underwhelming brighness, this time with the modified McR-27 reflector. IMO, I too believe that the XML is not the emitter for the EOS. For an easy 30% increase in brightness, from 70-lumens to 91-lumens, you can swap the stock Rebel emitter for the neutral-tint LXML-PWN2. If you desire a wider beam than the stock emitter, I'd look into the Ledil brand of Optics. to see what's available for the emitter that you end up choosing. Optics are more efficient than reflectors, but I still favour reflectors myself, but I can't remember exactly why.

coors

Enlightened
I updated the LED in the EOS Tactical that I have with a 5000k, High CRI Luxeon Rebel (from a 4600k, Neutral K2-TFFC.) It's absolutely brilliant and definitely the most satisfying EOS mod that I've tried, yet. The hotspot is rather tight, but the cut down McR-27 reflector gives a very large/huge, bright and evenly bright out to the edge spill with the Rebel emitter that is just perfect, IMO.

original.jpg