Quark high CRI lights available, at long last!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quark high CRI lights (once again) available, at long last!

Wish the CRI Mini AA was available as a headlamp...!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

@davidt1
Look at your to lower pictures.
The table looks more natural-brownish with the Quark AA. :thumbsup: The H51w puts a more blueish tint on the brown table.

The tint of the H51w is not bad at all. It only looks weird next the Mini AA. While I give an edge to the tint of the Mini AA, I am very happy with the tint of the H51w. Depending on intended uses, tint is not the only factor. Beam profile is also very important to me. I use my lights mostly to do work at arm's length, so a flood beam that covers the work area right in front of me is ideal. The beam of the H51w is more diffused because it I use DC-fix diffuser.

I used the Mini AA outside last might and have been using it to do sewing work for about 4hrs today. Tint is very nice for outdoor use. It's great for detail work such as sewing too. The only thing I would like is a bigger hot spot. With a narrow hot spot, I have to either move my head to aim the beam where the work is, or move the work to where the beam is. I would love it if 4Sevens makes some small AAA or AA lights with a pure flood beam with high CRI. Such a light would be a dream light for me.

Used the Mini AA to do some reading. Had to move head to adjust the beam. A 4Seven high CRI Mini AA with a pure flood beam would be a dream light for task like this.
IMG_8455.jpg

IMG_8454.jpg

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only thing I would like is a bigger hot spot.

Been thinking along the same lines. Have you DCFixed your new CRI Quark yet? Think I might try it.

Theorem29

Newly Enlightened

The tint of the H51w is not bad at all. It only looks weird next the Mini AA. While I give an edge to the tint of the Mini AA, I am very happy with the tint of the H51w. Depending on intended uses, tint is not the only factor. Beam profile is also very important to me. I use my lights mostly to do work at arm's length, so a flood beam that covers the work area right in front of me is ideal. The beam of the H51w is more diffused because it I use DC-fix diffuser.

I used the Mini AA outside last might and have been using it to do sewing work for about 4hrs today. Tint is very nice for outdoor use. It's great for detail work such as sewing too. The only thing I would like is a bigger hot spot. With a narrow hot spot, I have to either move my head to aim the beam where the work is, or move the work to where the beam is. I would love it if 4Sevens makes some small AAA or AA lights with a pure flood beam with high CRI. Such a light would be a dream light for me.

Used the Mini AA to do some reading. Had to move head to adjust the beam. A 4Seven high CRI Mini AA with a pure flood beam would be a dream light for task like this.

It's actually quite simple to diffuse any light you want given you can cut-out the right sized circle to fit over the top of the lens on your light. I have been using some diffuse materials on my lights for a while now, and it is mind blowing how well they work.

I suggest you check out this thread (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320811-Changing-LED-Tint-With-Filters) and pick up a few Lee filter books. These filter books have many colored filters available but they also have a nice selection of diffusion material at varying intensities as well.

lee-book-diffuse2.jpg

In the above pic I am showing the Quarter white diffusion which is the diffuser I used on the beamshots below. Other intensities include: Eighth white, quarter white, three-eighth white, half white, three quarters white, and white diffusion (the most heavily frosted one available).

Beamshots are using the new High CRI Quark, camera set to daylight white balance.

Before:
quark-no-diffuse2.jpg

non-diffuse-quark.jpg

After

quark-diffuse2.jpg

diffuse-quark.jpg

My flashlight and camera were about 3-1/2 feet away from the wall when I took the pictures, so as you can see it diffuses quite a bit. What you don't see is how well the surrounding area gets lit up by the diffuse beam, it is really amazing. I was only using the quarter white diffusion, and there are still four more intensities I could use to further diffuse the beam if I desired.

The filters are easy to pop-in and remove too, and if you cut them out just right the filter will stay in place for however long as you need it to.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Been thinking along the same lines. Have you DCFixed your new CRI Quark yet? Think I might try it.

I would love to, but I don't have any DC-Fix. Ordered from CPF member Phaserburn over a month ago, but have yet to receive anything from him. I would like to buy some from you if you have any extra.

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, the Lee Filters look interesting.
They even have Filters for color corrections, e.g. turning a 6500K source to 4200K for example.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Theorem. Since I didn't buy the Mini for long throw, I may as well enjoy a wide beam.

DavidT, check your PM.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Theorem29,

Would you provide a link to buy the diffusion stuff you use? Thanks.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Theorem29,

Would you provide a link to buy the diffusion stuff you use? Thanks.
+ 1

I'd love to have some very light diffusion, and much as I love the beam pattern of the MiNi already,
a little smoother blend could be nice to have.

j2k

Newly Enlightened
Got my preon 2 and mini AA today. Very good tint - warm but not overly yellow/brown. So much nicer than the greeneutrals that I got a few w:eek:s ago ;) There is a slight tint variation between the two - preon is a bit paler/yellower, minimal difference. High CRI Preon 2appears to be visibly dimmer than my recent neutral P2, but that's just my first impression.
Overall very happy :) Still waiting for HighCRI Q123 to arrive.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Lees Filters recommendation. What an excellent resource. I found filters made strictly for equalizing green tint. For my cool white, I'm going to try 279 Eighth Minus Green (86.5% transmission), 249 Quarter Minus Green (82.4% transmission), and 248 Half Minus Green (72% transmission) to see which works best. This way I can switch between a neutral and brightest with just one EDC light.

There's another company called Rosco that makes the same exact filters. I found a company called barndoorlighting.com that sells 10" x 12" Gel Sheets for just $2.63 each, great for trying out multiple colors.

Can't wait to get these. Now I can finally have the color I always wanted.

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
Glad my pics helped so many people get their hands on these fantastic lights. :) I'm still absolutely loving mine.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Lees Filters recommendation. What an excellent resource. I found filters made strictly for equalizing green tint. For my cool white, I'm going to try 279 Eighth Minus Green (86.5% transmission), 249 Quarter Minus Green (82.4% transmission), and 248 Half Minus Green (72% transmission) to see which works best. This way I can switch between a neutral and brightest with just one EDC light.

Very interested in your experiments here. Will you post up results and if so, how to make sure I don't miss them?

Shooter21

Enlightened

I hope he keeps them. I don't know about what tints everyone else got, but I've been playing with mine and comparing it to a p60 lamp, and except for beam profile, I cannot tell them apart. That xpg is a spot on match for the incandescent. I mean a perfect match.
is the p60 lamp a cooler tint than a standard 4D maglite?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

OH Yeah.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium Preon 2 and now the Mini AA models sold out.

It's very interesting to me to see what the most popular models are (I'm assuming the batches were of similar sizes...probably a bad assumption to make, but in the absence of better information...).

--flatline

euthymic

Newly Enlightened
My Titanium Preon 2 "black edition" has a wonderful tint and I picked up a ti single cell battery body and end cap to convert it to keychain light for a bit of lego fun. It's the first light that my wife actually commented on saying "what a beautiful finish" (referring to the satin titanium). While I'm enamored with the tint and nearly everything else related to the light, mine seems to have a defect on the LED (looks like dust on the dome) that corresponds to a black spot near the center of the beam. With the OP reflector, you don't notice it when white wall hunting but when you move the beam around you can clearly see it. :-( Not so bad that I'm ready to to return the light (since they are sold out and I'm assuming that they don't have replacements) but it does dampen my enthusiasm just a bit for an otherwise excellent light. It's certainly replacing my Fenix L0D on my keychain and I'm surprised how quickly I've grown accustomed to the warm tint (making my Neutrals seem somewhat harsh and my Cools now just seem to turn my stomach!). It's a great "gateway" drug to warm tinted emitters.